PDA

View Full Version : Emergency, car overheating !!!

speeddreamz
02-08-2003, 03:12 AM
Well, I picked up a 91' 240sx fastback recently and thought it was pretty clean. I had a 90 240sx fastback but it was all beat up looking so i sold it and got this one. Now, after it being very reliable for about 2 weeks I did a few minor changes. I was driving it today with no problems and decided to take off the power steering. I hate the way power steering feels, I can't feel the road. So anyways, I cut the belt and basically as far as I could tell it runs off the crankshaft, the powersteering pump and one extra pulley which is the adjuster/tensioner one, which serves no functional purpose except to put the belt on or off? So I cut the belt, that should have no bearing on the car overheating right?

I also put in a fuel injector cleaner by pyroil in my full tank of gas, because i forgot to do it when I changed my oil ? I am thinking that is the culprit I always thought the things were pretty decent, and wouldn't hurt the car.

Anyways, the car overheats so fast and it cools down pretty fast too when I have the engine off, I had the engine all the way up to high heat and turned the car off coasted 60- stop on the freeway and it cooled halfway down ?!?!?! I'm thinkin maybe my radiator is ok, but the fuel injector **** is bad?

mrmephistopheles
02-08-2003, 07:26 AM
Did you notice at all that the same belt that drives the PS pump ALSO drives the fan/water pump? YOUR ENGINE HAS NO COOLANT CIRCULATION. It will continue to overheat. Go put your belt back on and hope you didn't blow your headgasket.

-Kevin

wpayne
02-08-2003, 05:11 PM
HAHAHA!! This is too funny:p !!!

But I hope you get it fixed;) .

misnomer
02-08-2003, 06:42 PM
Wow, yeah. . . Anyhow get a new PS belt and your problems will be solved. That "extra pulley" is your water pump and the clutch fan.

The reason it cooled back off is the pump is attached to the ps fan, and at highway speeds, the fan was probably moving from air flowing past it, and thus spinning the water pump that it mounts at the end of.

I hope nothing is broken. I know other folks have bypassed the power steering before, they could tell you how to do it right.

240racer
02-09-2003, 12:01 AM
yeah I don't have p/s pump or a/c pump on my ka24de. The pulley that tensions that belt IS the p/s pulley. The water pump pulley does not move. I made a new bracket for my alternator and moved it over to run with the water pump, so I use the alternator to tension my belt. That's how I was able to remove the p/s pump, other then making a new pulley just to tension the belt, I don't see another way to do it. On the ka24e it's not a problem, since the alternator and water pump are already on the same belt, that's why you could run no p/s on your '90 without problems.
I haven't talked to anybody that for sure has no p/s pump on a ka24de, if there is somebody out there, let me know, I want to talk to you about how you did it.