PDA

View Full Version : Alternator issue?

Impact Black
11-26-2008, 09:33 PM
Ok, so I know when the alternator goes out or the belt pops off from them alternator and water pump that the battery and brake light come on on the guage cluster.

Recently, those same lights on my cluster have been flickering in and out as if something is wrong.

-I checked the belt to make sure there was tension and wasn't slipping.
-I've checked the connections to the alternator
-and it doesn't seem like the alternantor is dying (however I guess it could be)

has anyone has this issue before?

projectRDM
11-26-2008, 09:39 PM
Yes. Pull the charging lead off and put a voltmeter directly on the stud. You should get an erratic signal, voltage varying from 14V down to as low as 4V, that's the regulator taking a shit. The lights only trip when the voltage drops. It will continue to get worse so rebuild/replace soon.

Impact Black
12-01-2008, 10:08 AM
alright thank you.

I ust happen to have a spare SR alternator so I'll swap that in this week.

Impact Black
12-01-2008, 10:08 AM
also is there anything special about having the SR alternantor rebuilt? Like is it something that any shop should be able to handle, or do I have to refer to JDM land?

projectRDM
12-01-2008, 11:00 AM
also is there anything special about having the SR alternantor rebuilt? Like is it something that any shop should be able to handle, or do I have to refer to JDM land?

Internals components are the same as anything else Nissan built for the most part.

nzmoman
12-01-2008, 11:04 AM
or you can try to source a rebuilt SR unit as they are going to work as well. you only have to drill the threads out of the tensioner pulley. Just make sure you get the right AMPs theirs and 80 and a 90. if you need the 90 you don't want the 80. But since you already have two SR units...

Impact Black
12-01-2008, 12:10 PM
you mean use the KA alternator? I've heard about doing that, though I've never been one to "rig" anything.

projectRDM
12-01-2008, 12:19 PM
you mean use the KA alternator? I've heard about doing that, though I've never been one to "rig" anything.

It's not rigging if you're drilling one hole, but either method works. A rebuilt unit at a parts store will run more than having your SR unit rebuilt, but you'll probably get a longer warranty on the over the counter model.

Impact Black
12-01-2008, 12:42 PM
true, I'll have to look into what the cost, and warranty on having it rebuilt will run.