PDA

View Full Version : Gas Tank problem... please help!!

touge dreamer
11-26-2008, 12:10 AM
I have a small leak coming from the bottom of my gas tank of my s14. Does anyone know if its possible to fix the hole without buying a whole new tank, anything. Or where I can go to get this fixed. Im located in socal in the 909, but willing to travel to get this fixed.

Also where I might be able to get another tank for an s14, if i need to.:cry:

Anything will help me, cus this is my daily driver, i dont have any other car.

slider2828
11-26-2008, 12:14 AM
Your leak might not be coming from the bottom, it might be leaking down the side due to the top hat not sealing correctly. The tank does pressurize you know so it will blow that seal out if didn't take care of it during fuel pump install... Is it leaking when you fill it up?

touge dreamer
11-26-2008, 12:17 AM
yea i found a small hole at the bottom of the tank

p00t
11-26-2008, 12:25 AM
find someone who is parting out an s14 near you and grab the tank from them. unhook as many connections as possible from the top of the tank then unbolt one side of the two straps holding it in and let her drop. if you take most of the gas out it does not weight very much. its not a hard procedure and should only take u maybe 3 hours total taking it easy and bullshitting. Just be careful when lowering it as there may be a vapor line still connected that you will have to pull off after it is 1/2 way down. dunt be scurred!

slider2828
11-26-2008, 12:55 AM
Yah you can get a tig welder and most welding shops or fab shops can help you, but you know they are going to need to empty it and clean it and then do it, so your best bet is just to replace the whole thing.

codunc
11-26-2008, 01:10 AM
find someone who is parting out an s14 near you and grab the tank from them. unhook as many connections as possible from the top of the tank then unbolt one side of the two straps holding it in and let her drop. if you take most of the gas out it does not weight very much. its not a hard procedure and should only take u maybe 3 hours total taking it easy and bullshitting. Just be careful when lowering it as there may be a vapor line still connected that you will have to pull off after it is 1/2 way down. dunt be scurred!
S14 tanks are a little more difficult than that, you have to drop the subframe first.

projectRDM
11-26-2008, 07:45 AM
Yah you can get a tig welder and most welding shops or fab shops can help you, but you know they are going to need to empty it and clean it and then do it, so your best bet is just to replace the whole thing.

I'd like to see someone tig weld plastic. You know, since the S14 tank is plastic. That would be fun to watch.

Find one from a parts car, it's better to replace than to try and repair. Just know it's involved to swap over and you've got a day of work ahead of you.

DALAZ_68
11-26-2008, 08:01 AM
i have an s14 parting out...tank is almost out of the car if u need it...:D

slider2828
11-26-2008, 09:48 AM
Wow plastic? Shiet... I think it was Alu like S13s... Sorry man.... maybe abs plastic welding?

shifts13
11-26-2008, 12:47 PM
hit up ur local auto parts store and buy this

http://www.itwconsumer.com/productfiles/product_79.jpg

touge dreamer
11-26-2008, 01:02 PM
Thank you to everyone for the input.

Since its my daily driver I am going to go to the store and get some of that gas tank sealer for a temporary fix, and will most likely end up getting a new gas tank some time soon.

Also does anyone have any experience using this gas tank sealer?

projectRDM
11-26-2008, 08:14 PM
Wow plastic? Shiet... I think it was Alu like S13s... Sorry man.... maybe abs plastic welding?

Aluminum? Shit, fail again. Steel, regular stamped steel.

touge dreamer
11-28-2008, 02:00 AM
today i found out the tank is plastic. good thing i bought two different sealers, cus it turned out that i couldnt use one of them on plastic gas tanks. The sealer didn't wanna stick very well cus there was fuel around the hole and it made the surface slick, but even after cleaning the area it worked some what. There is still some gas leaking, very slowly, but now the surface is dry around it and now maybe the sealer will be able to stick. Ima give it another shot tomorrow.

gotspins13
11-28-2008, 02:42 AM
you dont have to get a new tank, there this stuff at your local ace hardware thats made just to seal gastanks i heard it works really good,

flip3d
11-28-2008, 01:09 PM
Dude, save yourself the trouble and get a new tank. I ran into so many problems patching the gas tank on my S13. Long story short, Orange County Fire Rescue came out and drilled a hole in my tank to drain it because it started leaking so bad. Most of the off-the-shelf sealant things only work for so long.