PDA

View Full Version : Deceptive Fuel gauge

Bahdra
11-25-2008, 08:57 PM
ok well my gauge reads anywhere from 1/8 below E to 3/8 above E and the car will start to sputter and run out of fuel

k about the car it is a 89 s13 coupe with a (faulty) hud and a sr swap so let me know if its a in tank problem or a dash issue

Flicktitty
11-25-2008, 09:20 PM
could be a sending unit.

Bahdra
11-25-2008, 09:48 PM
ugg well i geuss i could drop the tank and drop a bigger pump in
i looked up some prices and auto meter makes a digi fuel gauge that would replace the whole system

1slowS13
11-25-2008, 10:01 PM
this is what is nice about most imports, the fuel pump assembly is readily accessible by taking some of your interior out and a mere couple of bolts. its not that hard.

although you might need the large o-ring if its never been opened since they tend to expand through all the years of heat and etc.

Napalm
11-27-2008, 07:06 AM
I have this same problem, did you decide what it was?

g6civcx
11-27-2008, 07:29 AM
Come on, guys. Check your fuel level sender first. The float comes up and down based on the fuel level. The sender attched to the float sends a signal to the cluster.

The stock level gauge is highly inaccurate though so don't trust it.

Check your fuel pickup. It's well known that S13 fuel pickup has problems with anything under 1/4 tank.

If that's the issue then there's nothing you can do except get a fuel cell.

flip3d
11-27-2008, 12:22 PM
get a new sending unit and bent the arm just a little bit.

i did this to mine and it reads 1/8 under what it really is.
so like a full tank would be 3 and 1/2 quarters.

it's great because i never really fill up until its at E. now i know ill never have to worry about running out of gas when the light goes on.