PDA

View Full Version : 270R motor practicality question

collimat
11-24-2008, 06:31 PM
So, I got this fantastic idea to get myself a 240sx. I have found one that I like. It's a '93, silvia front end, etc. Pretty sharp car. Asked the guy about the motor, he came back to me and said that it had one out of a 270R. I was pretty stoked about this, just based on rarity, but at the same time, this would be the first swapped car I have owned and am questioning about the day to day aspects of owning it, like changing the oil, air filer, spark plug, etc. How difficult is it to get replacements, or find US equivalents? Thank you!

*EDIT* I will post some pics and you could tell me what you think :)

GSXRJJordan
11-24-2008, 06:49 PM
He's most likely full of shit. Be on the lookout. Valve cover color doesn't tell the whole story.

corey240
11-24-2008, 06:53 PM
Yea im shore they had different serial numbers or somthing like that, I dont think ive ever seen a 270R engine. But, I have one in my car too ya know? Its an sr.

GSXRJJordan
11-24-2008, 07:03 PM
Yea im shore they had different serial numbers or somthing like that, I dont think ive ever seen a 270R engine. But, I have one in my car too ya know? Its an sr.

Lol yeah I suppose in that respect the 270R was just an S14 SR20.

Anyway, OP, don't pay extra because you think he actually has an engine built by Nismo - it's 99.99% just a stock SR.

S14DB
11-24-2008, 07:57 PM
How does he know it's from a 270R?

cotbu
11-25-2008, 04:07 AM
If that's his main selling point he should have documentation, otherwise don't pay extra for a selling point you cant confirm. Here's my buying tip, look for things to lower the price of the car not raise the price.

g6civcx
11-25-2008, 06:55 AM
Can a regular production engine be tuned to put out similar performance for less cost?

s14unimog
11-25-2008, 07:10 AM
^ similar performance to what?

S14DB
11-25-2008, 11:29 AM
Can a regular production engine be tuned to put out similar performance for less cost?

Yes, the Main components are the injector upgrade and ECU upgrade. Cams are only sightly hotter.

It would be funny if this turns out to be a red top.

g6civcx
11-25-2008, 11:37 AM
^ similar performance to what?

I thought it was implied that we're talking about 270R, but that's what I was saying. My fault.

Yes, the Main components are the injector upgrade and ECU upgrade. Cams are only sightly hotter.

It would be funny if this turns out to be a red top.

So basically it's just any other SR that has been modded. What's the cost difference?

GSXRJJordan
11-25-2008, 12:26 PM
So basically it's just any other SR that has been modded. What's the cost difference?

Lol seeing as how I've never actually seen a price on a real 270R motor, there's nothing to compare the price to :angel:

mrmephistopheles
11-25-2008, 12:46 PM
So, I got this fantastic idea to get myself a 240sx.

:bowrofl: Funniest post all week!

Easily.

I find it highly dubious that somebody has a genuine 270R engine - there were only something like 50 made. Even if it is genuine, the biggest difference is the turbocharger. I can't recall offhand what model it is (it's a KKK brand turbo), but it's basically the daddy of the S15 Spec R turbo.

In other words, get yourself some S15 injectors and turbo, and you're already
well over halfway there.