PDA

View Full Version : KA24 sohc to dohc swap, 5speed swap...info please, ima noob...

xptnike
11-23-2008, 04:15 PM
Wsup zilvia, just to let you guys know in advanced just in case people want to put me on blast or something. I was wondering if it was legal in california and the US to swap out a sohc ka24 from your 89-90 240sx with a dohc ka24 from a newer year? One of my friends said that it won't pass smog. I was also wondering if it was legal or illegal to do a 5speed swap on an auto 240sx? My other friend said that it might not be legal to do so due to emmisions. Thanks, let me know.

rocksteady_racer
11-23-2008, 04:27 PM
What? how does the transmission affect emissions? Unless California has some ridiculous laws than I don't understand the problem. It's legal to swap motors all you want. Why would a dohc motor be any different for the smog test? I don't understand why that would affect the emissions? Am I missing something about Cali laws or something? I know here in PA it's legal to swap in any motor in to your car as long as you pass inspection and emissions every year. I haven't seen a shop to care yet but I have seen a lot of stupid cops episodes where the give people tickets because they say they are set up for race use or some bs in Cali so maybe cali laws are weird. But especially considering it's the same chassis and slightly different motor I still don't see why it would matter. I wasn't trying to sound harsh but the rest of the US it's perfectly fine to do all of those things, then again cali is really weird LoL.

ecuastyle84
11-23-2008, 04:31 PM
What? how does the transmission affect emissions? Unless California has some ridiculous laws than I don't understand the problem. It's legal to swap motors all you want. Why would a dohc motor be any different for the smog test? I don't understand why that would affect the emissions? Am I missing something about Cali laws or something? I know here in PA it's legal to swap in any motor in to your car as long as you pass inspection and emissions every year. I haven't seen a shop to care yet but I have seen a lot of stupid cops episodes where the give people tickets because they say they are set up for race use or some bs in Cali so maybe cali laws are weird. But especially considering it's the same chassis and slightly different motor I still don't see why it would matter. I wasn't trying to sound harsh but the rest of the US it's perfectly fine to do all of those things, then again cali is really weird LoL.

agreed
msglength

Wake
11-23-2008, 04:33 PM
mod please just lock this thread and make him search. neither is illegal as long as you have all the O.E. smog equiptment and it works. most shops wont even know you did a 5sp swap if you do it right.

xptnike
11-23-2008, 04:54 PM
alright, thanks for the input...

Phlip
11-23-2008, 05:12 PM
I am gonna quell the bleeding...
If you have all smog equipment for your engine changeover, no problems will occur.
You're not dealing in a car that would throw a code with such a swap, so again, no issues.
All should be fine, I will close this before anyone comes in to compensate for their afflictions with smallcox. Hang out a while and you will know why you should thank me.