PDA

View Full Version : Auto to 5 Speed Swap Question

unlegendary
11-17-2008, 02:18 PM
Alright this is what i did:
S14 Tranny Swap - Electrical Connections (http://www.ka24development.com/cwilfert/S14_tranny_swap_electrical.html)

When I did this, I swapped out my automatic ECU for the Manual 97 ECU (WM) and did the above for my 5th gear sensor and neutral position switch.

Now this is what happened:
CEL came off, super happy because smog check is coming up, then i decide to say, "fuck it, i'll get an early smog test." I went on the freeway, put the car in 5th, it started to bog when I reached 3k. I got scared, exited the nearest exit, and tried to never pass 3k because I don't know what will happen but when I get near 3k it starts to bog. Now my CEL is on and I checked the code as P1447 which is suppose to be incorrect flow to or from the evaporative canister

Notes:
I've been scammed for a s13 VSS Vehicle Speed Sensor, so that's what I have. My car reads double the speed (eg 40 is 80)
I did not have the manual transmission harness, I hardwired it
I normally rev and change gears around 4k, but bogs only start to happen at 5th.
I'm going to check for loose wires tomorrow
My mom nagged me to go to a smog station cause my stuff is due in December (don't know), so I went to a smog station using the city streets. Passed the sniffer and passed visual
When I did first did the ecu swap and stuff, I ran my car on the street for a good 15 minutes. No CEL, until I bogged on the freeway in 5th gear at 3k.

discuss

projectRDM
11-17-2008, 04:12 PM
Clear the codes and drive it again. EVAP codes of any kind would not affect drivability at all.

unlegendary
11-17-2008, 05:11 PM
Disconnected the terminals, CEL still came up. Revved up to almost 5k in 4th, nothing happened. Only happens in 5th. i'll try turning that thing on my ecu later for a full reset but as of right now i'm still at work.

unlegendary
11-17-2008, 07:56 PM
is there a way that i can tell that i cut the wrong wire from the ecm? maybe cut the wire hardwired into the sensor and drive in 5th gear to see if it bogs at 3k+?

projectRDM
11-17-2008, 08:13 PM
Disconnected the terminals, CEL still came up. Revved up to almost 5k in 4th, nothing happened. Only happens in 5th. i'll try turning that thing on my ecu later for a full reset but as of right now i'm still at work.

Disconnecting the battery does nothing, you have to manually clear the codes.

You're on to something though, disconnect your 5th gear switch and try it again, sounds like you've tapped the wrong lead at the ECU.

unlegendary
11-17-2008, 11:08 PM
hey could the problem also be in my s13 VSS? When i'm in 3k rpms, my speedo runs at over 120. Could that be associated? You know like the 5th gear sensor figures that 120 is cuttin' it? Just thought of it cause somebody from sddrift.com said this could be one of the possible problems
1, P1447 is EGR malfunction.
2, EGR has nothing to do with your tranny directly.

my guessing is that your "safe mode" is actually just the ECU governing your car's speed. you say you're speed sensor is telling you that you're traveling 2x more than you really are, correct?
I've been scammed for a s13 VSS Vehicle Speed Sensor, so that's what I have. My car reads double the speed (eg 40 is 80)
well, at 3000rpm in 5th gear, your car is traveling between 60-70mph which on your speedo would read 120+. so what im thinking is that you're ECU is thinking you're travelling 120+mph when you're really traveling half that in 5th gear. your governor does not go by your engine RPM through the tranny, but by how fast you're computer is thinking it's going (that's why it's the governor), i know this because i've hit my governor in my single cam in 4th gear (i abused the crap out that little thing).

all the 5th gear sensor does is tell your ecu that you're in 5th gear so that it turns into overdrive or some kind of gas saving mode. it doesnt tell speed or anything. that's what your speed sensor is for.

so do this tomorrow, haul ass from 1st to 3rd, and tell me if your car goes into your "safe mode" when your speedo hits 120+.

now, as for your CEL, since the EGR runs off your car running properly, hitting the governor constantly would make it malfunction considering your ECU cuts fuel to the engine making your car run super lean. i can see this causing the EGR to malfunction when constantly being hit.

therefore, it has to be your speed sensor, NOT your 5th gear or neutral switch directly. they're just doing what they're supposed to do.

still kinda sketchy on that, but it kinda does make sense. VSS runs to cluster then to ECU and what not. shit i don't know what i'm saying. can't wait to work on the car tomorrow.

projectRDM
11-18-2008, 09:46 AM
hey could the problem also be in my s13 VSS? When i'm in 3k rpms, my speedo runs at over 120. Could that be associated? You know like the 5th gear sensor figures that 120 is cuttin' it? Just thought of it cause somebody from sddrift.com said this could be one of the possible problems
1, P1447 is EGR malfunction.
2, EGR has nothing to do with your tranny directly.

my guessing is that your "safe mode" is actually just the ECU governing your car's speed. you say you're speed sensor is telling you that you're traveling 2x more than you really are, correct?
well, at 3000rpm in 5th gear, your car is traveling between 60-70mph which on your speedo would read 120+. so what im thinking is that you're ECU is thinking you're travelling 120+mph when you're really traveling half that in 5th gear. your governor does not go by your engine RPM through the tranny, but by how fast you're computer is thinking it's going (that's why it's the governor), i know this because i've hit my governor in my single cam in 4th gear (i abused the crap out that little thing).

all the 5th gear sensor does is tell your ecu that you're in 5th gear so that it turns into overdrive or some kind of gas saving mode. it doesnt tell speed or anything. that's what your speed sensor is for.

so do this tomorrow, haul ass from 1st to 3rd, and tell me if your car goes into your "safe mode" when your speedo hits 120+.

now, as for your CEL, since the EGR runs off your car running properly, hitting the governor constantly would make it malfunction considering your ECU cuts fuel to the engine making your car run super lean. i can see this causing the EGR to malfunction when constantly being hit.

therefore, it has to be your speed sensor, NOT your 5th gear or neutral switch directly. they're just doing what they're supposed to do.

still kinda sketchy on that, but it kinda does make sense. VSS runs to cluster then to ECU and what not. shit i don't know what i'm saying. can't wait to work on the car tomorrow.

I never thought of that, but the ECU is cutting speed at 120MPH. That makes complete sense. Get an S14 VSS.

unlegendary
11-18-2008, 10:16 AM
yeah, i'll just run without one for awhile. zilvia people slang them for too much, might as well buy from logan. someone slang me a s14 VSS with pictures for cheap ;], i already been scammed and i know what it looks like due to the search button lewl.

i'll take off the VSS this afternoon, and let everyone know how it turns out.

projectRDM
11-18-2008, 12:17 PM
Or just unplug it. Taking it off will result in a pool of gear oil under the car.

unlegendary
11-23-2008, 12:55 PM
alright, i don't know if this correlates but i cut off my s13 VSS while i'm waiting to get my shipped s14 VSS and suddenly my car gets a weird idle.

A scenario:
I could be driving for 5-10 minutes, prepare to stop at a stop sign, put the car in neutral, then my car idles low like crazy and sometimes to the point it dies.

Only happens when i'm in neutral and driving around for a bit. NEVER hard parked and in gear.

projectRDM
11-23-2008, 02:01 PM
alright, i don't know if this correlates but i cut off my s13 VSS while i'm waiting to get my shipped s14 VSS and suddenly my car gets a weird idle.

A scenario:
I could be driving for 5-10 minutes, prepare to stop at a stop sign, put the car in neutral, then my car idles low like crazy and sometimes to the point it dies.

Only happens when i'm in neutral and driving around for a bit. NEVER hard parked and in gear.

VSS has nothing to do with engine operation. It's just a weird coincidence.

unlegendary
11-23-2008, 02:05 PM
yeah alright, i'm gonna check my iacv then.

DALAZ_68
11-24-2008, 12:13 PM
I never thought of that, but the ECU is cutting speed at 120MPH. That makes complete sense. Get an S14 VSS. if thats the case, hes gotta be running uber rich, since its readin doubel the speed... in other words from what i under stood, if ur reading doubel the speed, then so are ur injectors, meaning there cutting off,,, hence ur bogging...

unlegendary
11-24-2008, 12:23 PM
if thats the case, hes gotta be running uber rich, since its readin doubel the speed... in other words from what i under stood, if ur reading doubel the speed, then so are ur injectors, meaning there cutting off,,, hence ur bogging...

well i cut off my s13 VSS, could there be any side effects such as my problem stated above from that bogging? my "die at the stop sign" kind of idle? i'm gonna check my iacv this week when i get the chance. i seafoamed my vacuum lines, and that didn't really smooth out my idle that much.

my idle only dies sometimes when i'm in neutral while driving, but never hard parked.

projectRDM
11-24-2008, 01:18 PM
Alright, you're getting somewhere. Is the neutral switch straight wired in? Sounds like it's giving issue if the bogging only occurs in neutral. Maybe you've got it going to the incorrect pin on the ECU. Unplug it too, see what happens. It's possible you've got it reversed with the 5th position switch.

The VSS would not cause issues though, as suggested above the injectors could be flooding the engine, but the ECU does not calibrate or tune based on vehicle speed, only by engine speed, throttle position, and airflow. That's a stab in the dark that missed poorly. You could be reading 300MPH, the ECU doesn't care, the sole purpose of the speed input to the ECU is to introduce the speed limiter, and to leg off to the ASCD and/or the ATC. It's not the VSS. In fact, unplug all the transmission switches and go one by one reconnecting them, you'll find the issue somewhere in there I bet.