PDA

View Full Version : spark plug problem

91CRXsiR
02-04-2003, 08:19 PM
my 3rd spark plug is eh... sparking? like sparks flying everywhere.. what could be the problem? the car is really shaky..

im not w/ the car right now by brother is.. so i hope its nothing major

240racer
02-04-2003, 08:30 PM
I had that problem on my '89 motor too. It was because the exhaust flange gaskets were leaking and hot exhaust was blowing on the plug boots which burned them off and then they gapped to the manifold. You probably need to replace your gaskets which kinda sucks and your spark plug wires. I temporarly fixed the problem by wraping the wires in electrical tape and heat shielding, but the voltage is really high and can gap through most anything. The gasckets are cheap and it's only 8 bolts, but it's heavy and hard to work with. I also had the heat shield removed so that might have made a difference.

91CRXsiR
02-04-2003, 09:50 PM
so my exhaust flange has a leak and is leaking onto my plug boot,

so i need a new exhaust flange gasket? where is this exhaust flange? i have no clue

and new plugs?

mrmephistopheles
02-05-2003, 12:28 AM
You need new plug wires definitely, and if your problem is the same as 240racer, you need to replace the exhaust manifold gasket. (goes between the head and the exhaust manifold)

Kevin

kandyflip445
02-05-2003, 01:02 AM
Yeah. Change your plug wires and try to figure out what ruined them. It could be what 240racer said or a number of other things. Look for exhaust leaks around there. Make sure that the wires aren't touching anything that could ruin them. Like something hot, moving, etc.

91CRXsiR
02-05-2003, 02:49 PM
well i did what he said , i tapped up the plug that seems to help it for now..

how much are plug wires and what kind should i get ? and where?

damn .. i was saving money to fix my trueno.. arg@!!! its like she "knows"

anyways.. yea... my car has 160K 89 SOHC ... w/ NGK plugs

91CRXsiR
02-05-2003, 03:48 PM
PDM sell some wires for like $30.00 are these any good? price seems cool to me.

kandyflip445
02-05-2003, 04:45 PM
They seem like good wires. They might increase Electro Magnetic Interference (EMI) though because they say that they have better current flow. Spark plug wires have a VERY high impedance to reduce the EMI. If it does increase EMI then you could expect a turbo like sound in your stereo...:p. I've never tried that brand on any car though so if it were me I would go for it. What's 30 bucks right. Especially if they help improve performance without the EMI. If you don't want to take the risk just go to a parts store and buy plug wires from them.

91CRXsiR
02-06-2003, 01:26 AM
well i did hear some weird noises from my stereo, but it wasnt a turbo sound it was more of a siren?..

anyways.. the only thing about PDM is i have to wait for shipping and im guessing this is something i want to solve asap