PDA

View Full Version : SMOG problems

blackrms13
11-08-2008, 11:30 PM
First off, I am in the wonderful SoCal, so SMOG is the worst here

anyways

I got a 91 S13 with 95 KA(OBD-I most likely non cali spec, 68K)
#29 ECU(Auto, Non-Cali Spec as well) Car is manual tho
Walbro Fuel Pump(not sure if that matters)
New Fuel Filter about a year ago
Spark Plugs(pretty new)
Wires(replaced the same time as fuel filter)
2.5 inch catback
CAT dont look to be the original OEM unit, it looks to be a universal one thats welded to the OEM flange on one side, cat back on the other
O2 Sensor(put in about 2 weeks ago, but there is a slight burn on the wiring no wire exposed)

Failed smog on Friday
both 15mph and 25mph reading is way high, max allow is 700ish, my reading were about 3000+
I did drive the car for about 1 hour on the freeway to the smog place, but I did have to wait about 15-20mins....i kept the car idling tho

My timing was off, so I fixed that after I got home
Fuel Cap didnt pass either, fixed as well

from some research on zilvia, I tried to clean out the emission system by spraying carb cleaner through a vaccume into the TB, some blue smoke came out in the beginning but nothing too noticeable afterwards

so any tips that can help me pass?
I think I get a bottle of those "Gurantee pass" thing tomorrow

Thanks to whoever that can help me

and if this thread belongs to the regional, can someone move for me, if not coolio

Sick13
11-08-2008, 11:31 PM
a lot of money will get you passed

blackrms13
11-08-2008, 11:42 PM
well other than that............i want to pass legally....plus i have a free re-test still, i'm thinkin about just going back to the place tomorrow and see whats up.

gijoe69
11-09-2008, 04:32 PM
I always do this when I go for smog....make sure you have a good catalytic converter or just go to a junk yard and get one off a Toyota Camry or some massive one, make sure your EGR vacuum lines are not rotten, goto your local parts store or walmart and get 2 can of Sea Foam follow directions run it thru Brake Master Cylinder Vacuum Line while car is running then change Spark Plugs and go smog it!

idlafie
11-11-2008, 10:17 PM
Post your results for smog so we can interpret them....HC....CO...& NO

Make sure your EGR system is working....you'll need a Factory Service Manual to test the solenoids located at the back portion of the motor and before the firewall. They're a royal bitch to get to.... easiest way to get at them is to pull the valve cover off. Also make sure the little rubber hose that is below the BPT valve is not cracked or broken. That little hose is about as short as your pinky finger & has a 90 degree bend in it. It almost always breaks on S13's & S14's!!

Check to make sure your Engine Coolant Temperature sensor is working properly. If the ECU does NOT receive a signal from the sensor, the ECU will continue to dump extra fuel into your intake thinking that the engine is cold. Ideally your ECU wants the motor to be warm so the ECU can run in an efficient "closed-loop" operation saving you gas & helping the environment by causing less pollution. Your Factory Service Manual gives all the details...

Check to see if your Fuel Pressure Regulator is getting vacuum & working properly. You'll need a Factory Service Manual to test this.

Put your ECU into Diagnostic mode & test your Oxygen sensor just to make sure your oxygen sensor is working properly. If you failed smog that bad, then you're ECU is dumping raw fuel into your intake manifold & not getting completely burned up by the combustion process and has probably ruined your oxygen sensor by now.

All these suggestions should help you figure out why your readings are so high. Good luck with the retest...Hopefully the above mentioned will help.

ID

blackrms13
11-11-2008, 11:14 PM
HC (Meas/Max) 45/118 50/93
CO 0.00/0.75 0.00/0.63
NO 3300/799 3257/738
____^15mph ^25mph

what does BPT stand for?

idlafie
11-11-2008, 11:35 PM
HC (Meas/Max) 45/118 50/93
CO 0.00/0.75 0.00/0.63
NO 3300/799 3257/738
____^15mph ^25mph

what does BPT stand for?

Back Pressure Transducer Valve...part of the EGR system. Your high NO readings are due to NO exhaust gasses being recirculated back into your intake manifold. Since you mentioned that you have a 95 motor in your car, check to see that the EGR system is still on the 95 motor. You should have a metal tubing connected to your exhaust manifold and running behind your motor to the EGR valve on the rear passenger side of your engine compartment. Check that metal tubing to make sure it's not blocked with carbon exhaust buildup. Also check to see if the EGR/BPT solenoid valves are still on your 95 motor. You'll need your factory service manual to assure that the entire EGR system is on your 95 motor & working properly along with showing you which vacuum lines you need to check to make sure it, (the EGR system), is working properly.

Anyhow....hope this helps...

ID

blackrms13
11-11-2008, 11:55 PM
both of your post is a big help :D

ill try to get to it tomorrow...got to write a 5 page essay :-/

blackrms13
11-15-2008, 06:31 PM
that EGR Tube goes behind the engine is there, looks clean from the outside :-/ (dont really know how to check for the carbon stuff)

i havnt checked the ECT or the FPR

That lil hose thats under the BPT valve its there nice and solid, no crack or anything

I just discover that i have a exhaust leak right in front of the cat, between the flange, would that affect NO reading?

1 full bottle of the "gurantee pass" was pour into my gas tank, now im just waiting for me to finish this tank...and go for smog again

ZenkiKid
11-15-2008, 06:45 PM
i dont know if this matters but, he did say theres a chance his ka isnt Cali spec. in other words his EGR could probly not be a california EGR, thus one of the things not making him pass

blackrms13
11-15-2008, 06:58 PM
but i know my friend took a car from out of state, and able to register/pass smog here

FaLKoN240
11-15-2008, 07:47 PM
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/92533-so-i-fixed-my-smog-issues-high-nox.html

Try searching...

Here are some tips that may help, but it really sounds like your EGR is not connected/hooked up/or working properly.

blackrms13
11-15-2008, 10:30 PM
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/92533-so-i-fixed-my-smog-issues-high-nox.html

Try searching...

Here are some tips that may help, but it really sounds like your EGR is not connected/hooked up/or working properly.
i looked through that thread already, and thats why i went to buy a bottle of those "guarantee to pass" thing

my EGR is on there for sure, but i dont exactly know if its working....
i duno how to do the "lifting the diaphragm" thing

FRoSt415
11-16-2008, 01:01 AM
take the egr off and try to blow in the inlet pipe. if you cant blow then its clogged. get card cleaner and try to clean it out. if that doesnt work buy a new EGR valve. clean the maf sensor with carb cleaner aswell. check all the vaccum lines to the EGR and make sure your getting some vaccum. GL

Oo_Skyline_oO
11-16-2008, 01:59 AM
first of all......... to the guy who said every time you take your car to smog you grab a catylic converter from the junk yard......... IT IS ILLEGAL FOR A JUNK YARD TO SELL A USED CAT!!!!!!!

second of all. its the big valve round looking thing connected to the back of your intake manifold. it has a 1' thick tube going from your exhaust manifold to your intake manifold. follow that tube and you'll find your EGR valve. now revv your engine and feel underneath if the valve moves. if it doesnt, then your need a new egr valve. those you CAN find at the junk yard. anyway if you wanna pass smog, just buy a new cat, they're less than 100 installed in most places, replace your air and fuel filter, set your timing to 15 btdc(I'm pretty sure its 15, check for the stickers under your hood it will tell you there anyways) and make sure you have a good egr valve. Now seafoam that shit seafoam - Google Video (http://video.google.com/videosearch?hl=en&q=seafoam&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wv)#

and get a new o2 sensor. check your ecu for codes make sure no sensors are bad. make sure all vac lines are in good condition(check fsm or under hood for vacuum diagrams)

DO THIS AND THERE IS NO WAY YOU CAN FAIL SMOG

blackrms13
11-16-2008, 02:15 PM
take the egr off and try to blow in the inlet pipe. if you cant blow then its clogged. get card cleaner and try to clean it out. if that doesnt work buy a new EGR valve. clean the maf sensor with carb cleaner aswell. check all the vaccum lines to the EGR and make sure your getting some vaccum. GL

ill try to get to it today...my ratchet just crapped out on me...and the bolt is on there pretty tight...but yeah

first of all......... to the guy who said every time you take your car to smog you grab a catylic converter from the junk yard......... IT IS ILLEGAL FOR A JUNK YARD TO SELL A USED CAT!!!!!!!

second of all. its the big valve round looking thing connected to the back of your intake manifold. it has a 1' thick tube going from your exhaust manifold to your intake manifold. follow that tube and you'll find your EGR valve. now revv your engine and feel underneath if the valve moves. if it doesnt, then your need a new egr valve. those you CAN find at the junk yard. anyway if you wanna pass smog, just buy a new cat, they're less than 100 installed in most places, replace your air and fuel filter, set your timing to 15 btdc(I'm pretty sure its 15, check for the stickers under your hood it will tell you there anyways) and make sure you have a good egr valve. Now seafoam that shit seafoam - Google Video (http://video.google.com/videosearch?hl=en&q=seafoam&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wv)#

and get a new o2 sensor. check your ecu for codes make sure no sensors are bad. make sure all vac lines are in good condition(check fsm or under hood for vacuum diagrams)

DO THIS AND THERE IS NO WAY YOU CAN FAIL SMOG

ill clean out my MAF with the carb cleaner then and get a new air filter
and im pretty sure the SOHC KA is 15 degree and DOHC is 20 degree

S13RB25DETDRIFTER
11-16-2008, 04:53 PM
do a vitamin C on the car get some transmission fluid and mix it with water get any vacuum from the intake manifold disconnect the line make sure it sucks alot then out that line on the bottle with the transmission fluid and the water.. used on 8tsp of transmission fluid and 8tps of water then mix

blackrms13
11-22-2008, 07:39 PM
fixing the timing, the can of carb cleaner into the intake via throttle body, bottle of "guarantee to pass", all did not really help but actually made my NOx reading even higher, almost 4000....

but i do get better gas mileage

the EGR valve is holding pressure, so i assume the diaphragm is working fine

i took out the EGR valve, but the BPT part is still on there
the EGR tube that goes behind the engine dont seem to be clogged, i use a pump to pump air through it, i can hear it coming out on the other side

i took off that lil triangular piece that connects the EGR to the intake manifold
used carb cleaner and coat hanger and some other type of wires to poke through/clean the "walls"

after doing this, i put everything back in place
i tried the lifting the diaphragm method again
did not kill my engine at all
or do i have to do this when the car is warmed up?

should i replace my BPT? EGR? or what

FRoSt415
11-23-2008, 04:27 AM
How abut seafoam? honestly sounds like some vaccum lines make sure they are not cracked or ripped. Look very very carefully, do u have vaccum comeing into the EGR? i have seen sometimes the vaccum lines rip or become cracked and lose suction.

blackrms13
11-23-2008, 12:56 PM
ive looked at the vacuum lines thats going in or out of the EGR valve...and replaced that short hose that connects the EGR and BPT

where else can i look?

maybe ill just try seafoam.....kinda lazy to change my oil....hah

DreamN
11-23-2008, 01:39 PM
^ I'm in the same boat right. I need to clean all that emissions crap. I'm running really rich right now for some reason. Not getting a CEL, but gonna check either way. How much of a pain was it to change all those little hoses. I'm thinking of doing that just for the hell of it considering those hoses might be the original ones.

blackrms13
11-23-2008, 01:41 PM
to be honest, most of the vacuum hoses that are at the back of the engine were changed during my S14 KA swap, but the hoses around the EGR are not as hard to get to, pretty much in plain view

rocksteady_racer
11-23-2008, 02:45 PM
That's what I did with my 90 240. I ran seafoam through the brake booster vaccum hose. My emissions were ridiculously clean after that and a spark plug change and my cat is factory from 210000 miles ago. Just my two cents. In PA I passed at like 5% of the max ratings.

blackrms13
11-23-2008, 06:31 PM
but whats ur NO reading?
im pretty sure Cali has way stricter rules...

im doing the seafoam thing tomorrow morning...see if it works
ive done seafoam on my old engine before...so i think i still remember how it works n all that