PDA

View Full Version : Catch can questions

Bubbles
11-06-2008, 11:20 AM
I've did searches on here, I went through the engine bay photos, and I've searched online.

I'm confused about the catch can and the routing.

I've seen many different setups, routings, and aftermarket and extra stuff that makes it even more confusing.

The catch can is a sort of overflow that also reroutes the oil back so it can be reused? Is that correct.

You can hook it up different ways and it will still perform the same function?

Some people don't use one at all. Is that possible?

BTW - Redtop sr.

IngS14
11-06-2008, 03:32 PM
I've did searches on here, I went through the engine bay photos, and I've searched online.

I'm confused about the catch can and the routing.

I've seen many different setups, routings, and aftermarket and extra stuff that makes it even more confusing.

The catch can is a sort of overflow that also reroutes the oil back so it can be reused? Is that correct.

You can hook it up different ways and it will still perform the same function?

Some people don't use one at all. Is that possible?

BTW - Redtop sr.

oil catch can is a excessive oil blow by collector same time to monitor amount of oil collected dude to leaks from turbo,valve seals or piston rings.

Bubbles
11-06-2008, 09:56 PM
So if the engine isn't having any problems it isn't neccessary?

fliprayzin240sx
11-07-2008, 06:52 AM
No it doesnt route the oil back into the engine. SRs are notorious for bad blow by. Most of the time, blow by is created when air/fuel from the combustion chamber gets thru the pistons rings and gets into the crankcase. Fuel and oil mixing is bad. The idea of the catch can is to catch this bad oil with the excess air pressure out of the crank case.

Anyways, SRs weird, specially S13s because of the T in the valve cover. One side of the T goes from the crank case and the the other goes to the intake neck. Most people would normally just disconnect the line into the intake. Connects that line into a catch can, vent it and plug the hole in the intake line. It works but thats not the proper way of doing it. The catch can is supposed to be hooked in between the line on the crankcase side. Problem is, its hard to find a spot to put a catch can back there with a hot ass manifold on the way.

Bubbles
11-07-2008, 03:06 PM
I had mine from the valve cover to the intake but I disconnected it.

fromxtor
11-07-2008, 03:14 PM
The way I have mine routed it goes from the VC via a -10 AN fitting to the catchcan, then from the catchcan back to the block. I am using a vented moroso catchcan so there isn't any PCV problems. http://www.moroso.com/catalog/images/85470_part.jpg

jspeedm
11-07-2008, 04:28 PM
the correct way to route it is from the pcv valve to the catch can to the intake manifold. the line on the vc is just a vent. vacum from the intake manifold pulls the crankcase vapors out, along with those vapors comes oil and all the blowby. having the catch can there prevents all the oil from going back into the intake. even if you dont have a problem, this will help. it will improve mileage and power by letting the fuel atomize properly without interferance from the oil.

jspeedm
11-07-2008, 04:29 PM
putting it on the vc side does nothing!

Bubbles
11-07-2008, 05:16 PM
even if you dont have a problem, this will help. it will improve mileage and power by letting the fuel atomize properly without interferance from the oil.

Really?

Guess I better hook it up right then.

Keep the good info coming everybody.