PDA

View Full Version : Flatlander Racing Head Work

Fresh 240SX
01-30-2003, 10:01 PM
I was thinking in the near future, since i plan on N/A tuning my KA24E..... to send away my head to Flatlander for a Stage 2 job...

Stage 2 Costs- $699, Expect 50-60hp Increase...

Of course this would be done after most of the basics were done and possibly if i can get enough cash money to jump my compression in the rebuild with some nice pistons.... Anywho...I was wondering if anyone has had head work done by these guys... specificly the package im looking at. How were the resutls? and so on..... thanks...Flatlander Racing Head Porting (http://www.importperformanceparts.net/imports/headporting_flat.html)

Jeff240sx
01-31-2003, 12:30 AM
Ok. It's not happening. I don't know why they have published a 50-60hp gain, but if you get the headwork done and dyno 50 hp, I'll eat a ****in hat.
First off... even Robello can't produce that power from a KA engine solely on headwork.
Secondly, is this going to be a race motor? If not, many people do not suggest any headwork (aside from very mild deburring and polishing, and valves), because it is thought to lead to overheating, head warpage and possibly cracking.
Read up on our heads. Chris May with 438hp is running a stock head. Duy used to run a stock head on his 500+hp car.
I don't suggest it.
-Jeff

Fresh 240SX
01-31-2003, 10:24 AM
well then.... i would be much happier with the $700:D

Jim96SC2
01-31-2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Jeff240sx
Ok. It's not happening. I don't know why they have published a 50-60hp gain, but if you get the headwork done and dyno 50 hp, I'll eat a ****in hat.

I'll take you up on that one! I hand ported heads for my friends 400SBC and droped his times by ~.5 seconds. It's more to due with base flows compared to after flows. Most import heads have exellent designs and flow rates, while the older small blocks have poo-poo flows. I agree with you though. Just get it port-matched, deburred, etc. Everything else isn't worth it really hence the phrase "you gain more in the first 10 minutes then you do in the next hour"

Jeff240sx
02-01-2003, 12:40 AM
I don't quite know if that reply was agreeing with me, or dissagreeing.
Of course on a V-8, especially '60-'70s musclecars will get awesome results with a P&P. Even my Corvette ('96) had a full race P&P. These cars get good results due to the larger tolerances in Domestic motors, and back in the day, the lack of a good manufacturing system. If you can close up tolerances, or use modern theories on the older engines to extract power, it works wonders. Also.. Domestic engines seem to be made to bore, stroke, and port for power. Yet, in our 240sx's, there isn't much bore room, barely any stroke room, and not enough metal in teh head to use a P&P. I'd really believe 50hp on a Mopar 400, they can pick up 100+ from bolting on some Edelbrock heads. But our cars.. I'd be suprised to see 10hp from a full race P&P, then more surprised to see it last another 10k miles daily driven.
-Jeff

Fresh 240SX
02-01-2003, 11:20 AM
Yea, after considering my options... i think a mild P&P is all i need... $700 US is alot for something thats gonna cause more harm than good (overheating, warping, ect)