PDA

View Full Version : Replacing head gasket

moses
10-27-2008, 03:39 PM
Ok I did a lot of searching on replacing my head gasket and I think I can do it myself with the motor still in. Its not blown but I am boosting at 18psi. I am starting to get a little more confidents in my work and I really dont want to pay $700 in labor to have a shop around here do it. So this is what I got so far.
DIY: SR20DET Head Removal by Mrzabala: SR20DET Forum (rear-drive): Nissan Forums / Infiniti Forums - NICOclub (http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread/254179)
As long I do everything right I wont have to mess with timing which I dont know how to do. I figure I can use sand paper since I didnt blow my head gasket. Use the spray copper stuff on a 86 bore 1.1 mhg. Put in some ARP head studs and Ill be good to go.
What do you guys think? Some one mentions something in the middle of the page about taking the cam caps off. Would this be eaiser or should I just stick with the install page?

Sileighty_85
10-27-2008, 03:48 PM
Remove head
Take Head to machine shop to have machined flat
clean block surface, Make very shiney
install H/G
Tourqe down per ARP standards

Either follow that or download the FSM and follow it

s15specR
10-27-2008, 03:53 PM
I pulled he head with turbo, ex and intake mani still on to change my HG, took about two hours to do everything, needed an engine hoist though.

moses
10-27-2008, 08:10 PM
Remove head
Take Head to machine shop to have machined flat
clean block surface, Make very shiney
install H/G
Tourqe down per ARP standards

Either follow that or download the FSM and follow it
Well I dont have a machine shop around here and I was just planning on using sand paper. I was under the impression that I didnt have to because it did not overheat. Other than that it is pretty straight foward. the only thing i am shaky on is the cams, more specifically the sprocket.

I pulled he head with turbo, ex and intake mani still on to change my HG, took about two hours to do everything, needed an engine hoist though.

Was that actually eaiser, I think ill just dissconnect the intake and exaust manifold. Why did you need an engine hoist? Ill probably take a lot longer than 2 hours.

Sileighty_85
10-27-2008, 08:25 PM
Well I dont have a machine shop around here and I was just planning on using sand paper. I was under the impression that I didnt have to because it did not overheat. Other than that it is pretty straight foward. the only thing i am shaky on is the cams, more specifically the sprocket.

well you need to find one, it doesnt matter if the engine over heated or not the head will still warp a little bit

and it better to get the head milled and rest a sure you wont have to rip the engine apart again.

Cuz if the head is warped then you have to rip the engine apart twice

well set up the cam sprockets as if you were to install them, #1 Piston TDC
Two dot up top (Cams) one on the crank (wont be able to see the crank one)

and never let the chain drop or sag off the crank sprocket.

moses
10-27-2008, 09:03 PM
Well damn if I have to do that then I have to take out everything in the head. I think im ready for all that. Is there anyway I could get by without doing that.

krisdeezy
10-27-2008, 09:40 PM
make sure you get the torque specs..dont wanna break anything you know..

s15specR
10-28-2008, 08:06 AM

Was that actually eaiser, I think ill just dissconnect the intake and exaust manifold. Why did you need an engine hoist? Ill probably take a lot longer than 2 hours.

With everything on its heavy, so we used an engine hoist to left the head with ex mani, turbo and elbow on, we took the head studs all the way out so the head can come forward a tad but then lifted up. Left the in mani on as well, took the bracket bolts off that braces/supports it though.

moses
10-28-2008, 10:14 AM
So I take it you didnt take your head to a machine shop. Was it warped or did it leak?
I found one.

mxsx25
10-28-2008, 11:20 AM
solve your machine shop problem by using/buying/borrowing a machinist's straight edge and feeler gauges...if its warped, dont bother putting it back together... it'll need to go to the machine shop, if not then put it back together

s15specR
10-28-2008, 12:10 PM
So I take it you didnt take your head to a machine shop. Was it warped or did it leak?
I found one.

Went to the machine shop, just had the wrong gasket one there so we pulled it and changed it before we started the car.

moses
10-30-2008, 10:19 PM
I have a question about that article I posted. One guy says that I can loosen up the cam caps and the cams will pop out leaving the sprocket where it is. Can I really do this because it seems a lot easier? Also do you guys know the size of the socket that goes on the can cap?

Sileighty_85
10-30-2008, 11:10 PM
yes you can do it but you need to make sure there is tension on the chain at all times to keep the chain from skipping teeth, so dont let the chain come off the crank sprocket

moses
10-31-2008, 09:56 AM
^ OK. I guess when I get in there I will see what is holding the sprockets up.
Does anyone know the size of the cam cap?

fcdrifter20
10-31-2008, 08:28 PM
10 mil on the caps. i dont kno how it is at the shop u found, but where i get my work done its 35$ too resurface the head, to me 35$ is worth not having a headache later on, just get the head resurfaced. clean off the top of the block with a razor blade some scotch brite,a clean rag and some parts clean. blow out all the holes real good, then make sure the surface is clean before u put the h/g back on.(dont forget to get all the shit out that fell on top of them pistons)then hit the head with some scrotch brite and some parts clean just to be sure its good befor u put it back on.

as for the cam and timing and all that, its actualy not to hard. just set motor to tdc on comrepssion strock. line up the cams properly torque down the cam sprockets, install cas and thats it. if u have trouble with the cams, there are plenty of sources here that can guide u threw that part if the install.

just post any questions u got on a new thread, and im pretty sure that any of us here who have experience with theese engines, will be more than happy to help u out bro.

p.s since its ur first time. get torque spec for everything, and tripple check all your work(every single bolt) we all started the same way, so plz dont take it as a put down or anything.dont leave anything to chance

wht240sx
10-31-2008, 09:19 PM
Heres some advise since its your first time removing the head that i have learned from doing it myself. remove number one spark plug and stick your finger in the hole to find the comprssion stroke, if you get tdc on the exhaust stroke you be 180 out on your timing when you go back together. Also use touch up paint to mark the cam gears and chain so when you go back together all your paint marks will line up and you will know everything is in the right place.
good luck

smelly240
11-01-2008, 05:51 AM
if u are pulling the head off you have to take the gears out of the chain...

also - if u pull ht ehead - the bottom end doesnt have to be on compression stroke - the bottom end doesnt care what stroke its on - as long as u put th ecams in right.

time it right - and ur good. It's not hard.

moses
11-01-2008, 12:08 PM
Thanks for all your input. I dont take it as a put down. I plan to take a day or two taking pictures of everything so I know where it goes. I want to know if I can loosen the cam caps and pull out the cams and leave the sprockets where they are like the guy said in the article I posted.

fcdrifter20
11-01-2008, 03:44 PM
yes u can. but it makes it easier to put the chanin back on, with one sprocket off.well at least for me it is.