PDA

View Full Version : Can you help a newbie out?

Sylver
10-26-2008, 08:10 PM
kk im new to this forum and i'm not to sure if i posting in the right place or not but please bare with me.

i bought a 96 240sx today, I got to lock my car for a bit to step inside my house, i try to unlock my car with the key the previous owner gave me and it didn't work when i tried opening the door.

I call the previous owner and ask if he had any other keys to unlock the doors and he said he didn't, so a hanger and a half an hour later I get the doors open.

So here my question is there anyways to get a key to my car that unlocks my doors?

The previous owner said something about going to a nearby nissan dealer to get a key by giving them my vin number for my car?

Im not to sure and I dont want to bring a hanger everywhere i go either >:[ so please any thing helps.

;[

P.S. Sorry if it was long...

yokotas13
10-26-2008, 08:13 PM
take the vin and paperwork saying the car is yours to the dealer

no prob

Sylver
10-26-2008, 08:15 PM
Okee thanks a lot man all i need now is to get the title under my name and im good

Thanks a lot again!

((sr)) kelly
10-26-2008, 08:28 PM
lmao........

FRoSt415
10-26-2008, 08:33 PM
Call a auto locksmith. they can come to where u are and make a mold of your key hole then make a key within a few minutes using the mold. or as they previous owner said go to Nissan and give them your Vin number and car info but i think that cost like 200 bucks, other one is 50-100.

sr20boostn20
10-26-2008, 08:52 PM
you can also take the lock cylindar out and bring it to the locar hardware store they can uasually make a key from it in a day

AWSneer
10-26-2008, 08:56 PM
same thing happened to me... I just changed my locks... Takes about 10 minutes a door and cost me $40 at autozone.

aNskY
10-27-2008, 11:00 AM
take the vin and paperwork saying the car is yours to the dealer

no prob

nissan wont cut keys for 240's, or for any cars older than a few years old (i forget the range, but i tried, and they wouldnt ddo it)

so your best (and probably only) bet is to find a locksmith, or find someone parting a car and change the cylinders/key

Flicktitty
10-27-2008, 11:05 AM
like stated, either a locksmith or find a part out car.

aNskY
10-27-2008, 12:24 PM
or get keyless installed, and make sure your remote battery doesnt die

HS13KLS
10-27-2008, 01:05 PM
nissan wont cut keys for 240's, or for any cars older than a few years old (i forget the range, but i tried, and they wouldnt ddo it)

so your best (and probably only) bet is to find a locksmith, or find someone parting a car and change the cylinders/key

i have to disagree aNskY

lol.. im a manager at nissan..
and and i know at least OUR shop can..

you have to go to the dealer with the vin, and purchase a key..(roughly 10 dollars) i just remember paying like 4 with my discount.

and then they can cut it.

and to aNskY- is your motor built yet? pm pictures of your car!!

1Ad_Drift
10-27-2008, 01:09 PM
OR you can call up the old owner and ask if the key had worked for the doors before. which i they probably did, so then you can go to autozone, napa whatever and pick up some graphite and try to free up the lock before you go replacing all your locks or spending all your money getting it re-keyed. Just an idea before you waste money on somthing you didnt need to.

aNskY
10-27-2008, 01:16 PM
i have to disagree aNskY

lol.. im a manager at nissan..
and and i know at least OUR shop can..

you have to go to the dealer with the vin, and purchase a key..(roughly 10 dollars) i just remember paying like 4 with my discount.

and then they can cut it.

and to aNskY- is your motor built yet? pm pictures of your car!!

my local dealer wouldnt do it. but then again the parts dpt. guys are douches.

i have 2 sr's broken down, one good block, one that needs to be built, and 2 heads that need work. i do have forged internals in my possession but i need a bore, hone, crank polish, and said head work (one needs valves the other just needs to be re-shimmed)... and the car itself is a black stock looking hatch rollin on bronze 17x9 17x10 fn's

i will be out in the spring for sure, hopefully with the fully built engine pushin 500whp

kaking
10-27-2008, 01:23 PM
Get a keyless entry alarm. Solve the key problem and it'll make your car a lil more secure. I didnt know my key didnt work for my doors for over a year and a half.

projectRDM
10-27-2008, 02:03 PM
The dealer limit on keeping key codes through the VIN is 10 years. That's what I've been told every time I get a key cut for a salvage car, that's using a good account with people who know me. I figure they wouldn't lie about something so trivial.

aNskY
10-27-2008, 02:46 PM
The dealer limit on keeping key codes through the VIN is 10 years. That's what I've been told every time I get a key cut for a salvage car, that's using a good account with people who know me. I figure they wouldn't lie about something so trivial.

see i knew it was something like that :)