PDA

View Full Version : national geographic gtr special documentary

shame213
10-25-2008, 09:37 PM
A feature documentary by National Geographic on one of the most iconic and capable supercar of our times, the Nissan GT-R. The documentary covers the making of GT-R from its early stages of development to its world debut at the Tokyo Motor Show.
The documentary also shows Carlos Ghosn, CEO Renault-Nissan, involvement in the GT-R project, its introduction to the world press, video game culture and Porsche 911 Turbo as its benchmark competitor and even the Nurburgring lap!
The 47 minute long documentry is very addictive and you simply cant stop in between even if you want to. So go ahead…
Source: worldcarfans via nagtroc (http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/)

¹ú¼ÒµØÀ*Nissan GT-Rר¼*£¡ - ÊÓƵ - ÔÚÏß¹Û¿´ - ÍÁ¶¹Íø (http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/f4KhIHj3lSQ)

Jonnyblaze
10-25-2008, 09:52 PM
I wouldn't say "iconic". The Corvette is iconic. The Mustang is iconic. The GT-R began production last year...

silviaz
10-25-2008, 09:58 PM
okay.... where do i click ??????

Bomber 570
10-25-2008, 10:02 PM
I wouldn't say "iconic". The Corvette is iconic. The Mustang is iconic. The GT-R began production last year...

yes, but its based off the skyline, which is japans most iconic car in most peoples eyes, so yah....... you fail. Just cuz it doesnt say "skyline" in front of it..... ugh.

Jonnyblaze
10-25-2008, 10:06 PM
If you asked a random person off of the streets what a Corvette or Mustang is I'm sure nearly all of them would know. Not so much for the Skyline.

irax
10-25-2008, 10:07 PM

no... the skyline GT-R began production in 1969

it's like saying the first gen supra was the MKIII

usdm180sx
10-25-2008, 10:24 PM
If you asked a random person off of the streets what a Corvette or Mustang is I'm sure nearly all of them would know. Not so much for the Skyline.

Geez you really are a NOOB.

Folken
10-25-2008, 10:24 PM
I'm sorry are you really trying to win this fight on a nissan forum? Are you saying the skyline isn't iconic in japan?

blitzkrgCT9A
10-25-2008, 10:28 PM

You must have been a frog living in a well......

:duh:

TSLegendary
10-25-2008, 10:30 PM
Go to japan and ask them what a pinto is. Regardless the Nissan skyline GTR or GTR which ever you feel is nicer, is a iconic car.Even if some people are clueless and havent flipped threw a few F&F movies,Top Gear or Streetfire Ect.

irax
10-25-2008, 10:37 PM
NO shit were in the US. Go to japan and ask them what a pinto is.

pinto isn't iconic its infamous there is a difference.

the corvette and mustang are also really famous, but that doesn't make them any less iconic. Iconic is different in relevance of famous. Iconic cars don't have to be famous. The 70's ford falcon is a iconic car but ask some random person on the street and they would not know what it was. People will know a corvette and mustangs BECAUSE THEY ARE STILL IN PRODUCTION!

ericcastro
10-25-2008, 10:53 PM

it is Iconic retard. Sorry, no nice way around it. the amount of money that is spent in Japan restoring older Skylines is retarded.
It is one of thier most Iconic cars that helped bring them into a new era of car making and into a world wide car market. (along with the 510, and 240Z).
Its symbolistic of them becoming competitive inthe world wide car market as well as motor sports.

Same goes if you ask someone in Japan what a Charger is. But the old chargers are Iconic here, and just went back into production too.

I rarely miss the rep system,....buy I knew a couple guys like this growing up, and ......just cant stand em:blah::blah::blah::blah:

zerke
10-25-2008, 10:58 PM

just cuz ur a moron and you dont understand life doesnt mean everyone is ignorant.

edit

oh your car is bone stock. that explains.

lflkajfj12123
10-25-2008, 11:02 PM

where the fuck is the rep system when you need it

mmdb
10-26-2008, 12:06 AM

There is truth to what he's saying. When people think Corvette they think of a sports car, they think of racing. The Vette has a racing heritage, not to say the GTR doesn't. If someone hasn't kept up with the import scene they're not going to know a Skyline or a GTR is. But I it's much more possible that they'll know what a Vette is than a Skyline or a GTR.

Cool video btw.

Fonix36
10-26-2008, 12:15 AM
good post im still watching it i didnt know that nissan went under a wile back

HS13KLS
10-26-2008, 12:23 AM
where the fuck is the rep system when you need it

why cant we just have a rep system AND trader rep system??? :/

I10cruiser
10-26-2008, 12:25 AM
damn it . . it only loaded half wawy then stopped:(

RedStage
10-26-2008, 12:26 AM
Fonix...where you been...lol...Heard of Nissan/Renault merger?

xplicit240
10-26-2008, 02:07 AM

L

o

L

where the hell have you been ? under a rock?

wheruatsuk
10-26-2008, 02:15 AM
who gives a shit. In USA people think the Vette and Mustang are Iconic but remember there are other people in this world like Europe Ferrari is Iconic etc in Japan GTR is Iconic

DataXUnknown
10-26-2008, 02:25 AM
I would neg rep everyone in this thread for giving me such a headache.

(except maybe the guys in blue, notice non of them said anything stupid)

As for this video, so far it kicks ass...at 1:46 which it just needs to keep loading it's taking forever. Makes me wanna go to Japan. "Midnight. The backstreets of Japan belong to the GT-R. The ultimate bad boys car" I wanna be a bad boy teehee

irax
10-26-2008, 08:07 AM
There is truth to what he's saying. When people think Corvette they think of a sports car, they think of racing. The Vette has a racing heritage, not to say the GTR doesn't. If someone hasn't kept up with the import scene they're not going to know a Skyline or a GTR is. But I it's much more possible that they'll know what a Vette is than a Skyline or a GTR.

Cool video btw.

i would round up a posy and neg rep you...

ZOMG that is THE most retarded thing to be said EVER! My co-workers at my old job, 3 muscle heads, 1 euro geek, and 1 bro 'froader. They are ALL very well aware of what the skyline is and why it's bad ass. They are all into more legitimate racing like F1, WRC, GT cups, SCCA and other I don't even know the names of. They ALL asked if I was going to swap in an silvia or a skyline motor! And none of them like asian imports or are into it enough to :cj::cj::cj::cj:, but they all know the Skyline. It's fucking Iconic, end of story

RanciD
10-26-2008, 08:31 AM
The Skyline/GTR is every bit as much an icon here as the Mustang or Corvette is in America.

SuicidnS13
10-26-2008, 08:31 AM
All in all the new GTR still does not impress me in anyways. Especially after driving it and realizing that it just feels like every other exotic car. Except cheaper......

Now the older GTR Skylines were amazing cars. Very tuneable from the factory. Hell the new GTR loses HP with an exhaust change. I dont even want to know how low the limits are with the dual clutch system. If its anything like lambo and ferrari it will not handle much torque or abuse at all. And who the hell wants to spend 80k on car they cannot track. It completely voids your warranty if you use the cars launch control. Atleast Porsche and Corvette dealers encourage their new owners to race them by offering drivers courses and track days at many race tracks around the country. And dollar for dollar the porsche gt3 is still the ultimate daily/track terror.

Fonix36
10-26-2008, 09:07 AM
Fonix...where you been...lol...Heard of Nissan/Renault merger?

Ive been fucking up letting bitches ruin my life go easy on me right not
lol

irax
10-26-2008, 09:28 AM
All in all the new GTR still does not impress me in anyways. Especially after driving it and realizing that it just feels like every other exotic car. Except cheaper......

Now the older GTR Skylines were amazing cars. Very tuneable from the factory. Hell the new GTR loses HP with an exhaust change. I dont even want to know how low the limits are with the dual clutch system. If its anything like lambo and ferrari it will not handle much torque or abuse at all. And who the hell wants to spend 80k on car they cannot track. It completely voids your warranty if you use the cars launch control. Atleast Porsche and Corvette dealers encourage their new owners to race them by offering drivers courses and track days at many race tracks around the country. And dollar for dollar the porsche gt3 is still the ultimate daily/track terror.

WRONG you void the warranty by turning of traction control and launching hard!

The s2k right out the box lost hp and tq on the first exhaust systems. It just took companies longer to realize that you can't just slap 3 inch piping and think it would gain horse power automatically. Just like Honda and its s2k Nissan put super computers to crunch numbers to figure out the best harmonics for the car so you can't go fucking with it because you think your better than the engineers at nissan.

murda-c
10-26-2008, 09:56 AM

what the hell do you think launch control is?

you really did accidentally a whole zilvia.net.

mmdb
10-26-2008, 01:16 PM
i would round up a posy and neg rep you...

Pity. QQ :hyper:

wisDOMination
10-26-2008, 01:31 PM
mr. bean owns nissan, japan

CIutchCollidE
10-26-2008, 02:13 PM
That was an interesting video. Thanks

deadghost
10-26-2008, 02:34 PM

Go away noob, your barking up the wrong tree. You chat on a Nissan forum and tell every Nissan enthusiast that the skyline is not iconic? :jerkit: The car that every Nissan enthusiast would kill for, trade there first child for, and do horrific things for. Offisley you do not belong behind the wheel of a 240, never the less a nissan.

ThatGuy
10-26-2008, 02:50 PM
Iconic: Relating to, or having the characteristics of, an icon.

Icon: A person or thing that is the best example of a certain profession or some doing.

Therefore, to everyone who is trying to say that the GTR is "iconic" just because every fanboy wants one, SHUT UP.

The GTR is ICONIC of Nissan's AWD technology and racing heritage.

The Corvette is ICONIC of Chevrolet's automotive engineering.

Stop trying to define the GTR as "the super coolest car in the world!!!". Popularity does not necessarily define an icon.

The Hindenburg is the iconic airship disaster.
The "Black Death" is the iconic plague.
Michael Jackson is the iconic black dude turned white dude/child molester.

None of these are very popular, yet they are still icons.

Everybody has their panties up in a bunch, just because somebody dissagreed about the GTR. Meanwhile, most of you only defended the point with your own personal beliefs and ideas, rather then facts.

s14dr1ft3r
10-26-2008, 03:07 PM
I watched it (on AFN in Japan) a few days ago. You're right. I was hooked. It was coole because they wouldn't unveil it until it could beat the Porsche...and it beat it by 2 seconds. Even the journalist who HATES AWD cars loved it.

s14dr1ft3r
10-26-2008, 03:10 PM
mr. bean owns nissan, japan

LOL:bowrofl: My wife and I said the same thing while we were watching!

boost_addict
10-26-2008, 03:28 PM
lol wow...

MissShiftS13
10-26-2008, 03:57 PM

The GT-R really has only been in production since last year..... Some ones to check their facts the R35 maybe but the GTR has been around for like what almost 4 or 5 decades!!!!

murda-c
10-26-2008, 04:06 PM
Go away noob, your barking up the wrong tree. You chat on a Nissan forum and tell every Nissan enthusiast that the skyline is not iconic? :jerkit: The car that every Nissan enthusiast would kill for, trade there first child for, and do horrific things for. Offisley you do not belong behind the wheel of a 240, never the less a nissan.

did you say, "offisley?"

wgJoY
10-26-2008, 04:20 PM
did you say, "offisley?"

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

SuicidnS13
10-26-2008, 05:23 PM

The s2k right out the box lost hp and tq on the first exhaust systems. It just took companies longer to realize that you can't just slap 3 inch piping and think it would gain horse power automatically. Just like Honda and its s2k Nissan put super computers to crunch numbers to figure out the best harmonics for the car so you can't go fucking with it because you think your better than the engineers at nissan.

Too bad the engineers only gunned it towards the porsche 911 turbo. Shoulda had it out dogging every car like it,; gallardo, z06, zr1, Ford GT. Just because they put a measly low 75k price tag on it doesnt mean people arent going to try and out do Nissan engineers. Z06 owners mod the crap out of their cheap 75k cars. If 480bhp is all those engineers can come up with at this day and age nissan is in some serious trouble.

HyperTek
10-26-2008, 05:31 PM

i agree with you, the skylines more jdm fanboy known SINCE ITS NEVER BEEN SOLD HERE.. only recently the GTR since it has a huge fanbase with those who know of them.
Internationally, i guess it can be called iconic. In American, the Z would be more deserving of the iconic title for nissan

Have they done a show on the 911 yet?

JayDee M Rolly
10-26-2008, 05:34 PM
corvette? what is that a stripper?

aa87
10-26-2008, 05:38 PM
Mustang disappeared in this conversation because of v6 form being popular with teen girls! Iconic!

shinhed
10-26-2008, 05:49 PM
I'd like to thank the original poster for reminding me I'm $74,999 shy of owning a GTR:fawk2:

MetricHotrods.com
10-26-2008, 06:53 PM
Smokey Nagata has the exhaust thing figured, and dont quote me but i think Amuse has already hacked the ECU

give it 2 years and there will be quadruple power-figure R35s doing high speed runs on Option DVD. just wait on it.

gregfarz78
10-26-2008, 08:43 PM

lol what a dope

BRAIN_Z33
10-26-2008, 09:53 PM
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg262/Dutchygamer/Random%20Forum%20Pics/Thread-Direction.jpg

Ben G
10-26-2008, 10:09 PM
i watched 2 minutes of it and decided it was a fucking stupid video

wangan_cruiser
10-26-2008, 10:10 PM
this thread is awesome.

Fonix36
10-26-2008, 11:25 PM
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg262/Dutchygamer/Random%20Forum%20Pics/Thread-Direction.jpg

nice nice nice and true.

luftrofl
10-26-2008, 11:37 PM
i agree with you, the skylines more jdm fanboy known SINCE ITS NEVER BEEN SOLD HERE.. only recently the GTR since it has a huge fanbase with those who know of them.
Internationally, i guess it can be called iconic. In American, the Z would be more deserving of the iconic title for nissan

Have they done a show on the 911 yet?

Truth^

I can't believe how sheltered some people are that they believe that there's a good number of the people in America (who aren't car fans) who know about the Skyline.

A non-car person would need to have paid close attention to F&F or played some shitty street racing game to even know of the Skyline.

ericcastro
10-27-2008, 12:10 AM
^
I think the point is that, in Japan, Its Known.

Not here in America.
And when it comes to the racing and motorsports world, The GTR is iconic.
just like the documentary states.

I dug it, let me lay in bed and watch something on my computer while I waited for the hangover to disapear :)