PDA

View Full Version : engine knocking

ero714
10-24-2008, 10:06 PM
i was on my way home from work and, about 17 miles from my house. i was on e so i thought that was why it felt the way it did. in 3rd gear it feels like it miss firing and its lagging a lot. im thinking its one of the injectors maybe not working right or something like that. i was woundering if any of you guys have ever had this problem or maybe you might know what it might be.

SidewayZ-s14
10-24-2008, 10:25 PM
Could be the coil packs. Maybe the connection came loose.
Happened to me, and my car sounded like a subie!
And was really stinky....

2ilvia
10-24-2008, 10:41 PM
when one of my plugs wasnt firing it sounded like a subie but all gears were lagging. i didnt see you mention anything about the engine knocking...

ero714
10-25-2008, 12:41 AM
maybe it wasnt knocking but it did feel like something was really wrong. kinda like it wasnt getting gas im going to look under the hood when im on my way to work. thanks

anymore suggestions?

Hashiriya415
10-25-2008, 01:06 AM
check ecm for codes
disconnect each coil 1 by 1 the one that dosn't change your engines behavior is the cylinder with the problem
pull all your plugs and check their condition if nothing seems different or weird, clean like new or replace and drive and recheck to see if you see a difference.
do you hear a tapping from the engine on top, you probably have thrown off a rocker arm bent and bent a valve
there is more but i'm about to fall asleep and I can't think straight right now
do you have oil in your engine?

ero714
10-25-2008, 01:11 AM
well im sure i have oil in the motor but i havent checked it. i just changed the oil pan gasket not to long ago an notice that one of the motor mounts was falling apart and maybe thats why it feel even worst. so thats on my to do list. ill try checking each coil, pulling them out maybe she if one of them might be messed up. do anyone think that it might be a fuel problem??
thanks keep it up

Hashiriya415
10-25-2008, 01:42 AM
if you think it's a fuel problem get a fuel gauge or a fuel tester and test for pressure.
ever replaced the fuel filter.
remove the fuel rail and injectors and let them spray by turning the ignition on
any smoke out of the exhaust

ero714
10-26-2008, 12:31 AM
i put an octane boost in the gas tank today. i hope it doesnt make it worst. well i was thinking i should try some injector cleaner or something like that and see if it worked but im just going to finish my tank now and hope for the best. im going to have to check the fual presure. hopefully its okay... well i dont know but i have to get it checked out.

SidewayZ-s14
10-26-2008, 12:59 AM
Like stated above, Have you ever changed your fuel filter/pump? If not, i would advise doing so.
Doesn't really sound fuel related, but you never know.

GoodLuck!

ero714
10-26-2008, 01:09 AM
no i havent change any of the fuel stuff. i just got the car in march i think. so im going to look into doing. thanks

DataXUnknown
10-26-2008, 03:02 AM
Is this SR or KA? When I swapped my KA to SR, you have to use 91 octane. I had put 91 octane in it, but when I got down to E I think it was sucking up any leftover 87 octane, making it slow and sound funny. Also sounded like a subie somtimes. I ended up kinda playing with the injectors, moving them around a bit and bam, problem fixed.

ero714
10-26-2008, 09:16 PM
lol yea i want to change the injectors but they are a little out of my buget right now. but its KA and i was thinking of just swapping it because i kinda dont trust my KA because of the condition i got it on. but i feel like going KA-T i think im going to have to do a complete rebuild so that i can boost it without problems down the road ;) thanks for the advice.

is there any shops that you guys would recommend to have it checked out. i really dont feel like getting ripped off or can anyone one on the forums help me with this. we can figure some thing out