PDA

View Full Version : Dry Cell and/or Best Battery

S13Nissan240SX
01-29-2003, 04:45 PM
I've got a 1990 S13 and I'm looking to replace the battery. I want to go with something pretty powerful because, like many of you, I've got some extra electronic equipment on board. I'm looking for a dry cell. Have any of you found a good one for the car? I wanted an Optima Yellow Top but they don't have one for the 90 240. Any suggestions? I'm also willing to consider any other type of battery if you have one you think is best. Thanks for your help.

silnv
01-29-2003, 04:48 PM
I have a SVR 900 cca audio comp battery and I have had no trouble with it. It is a deep cycle sealed battery.

Fresh 240SX
01-29-2003, 08:30 PM
What do you mean they do not make one for the '90 240sx?
battery is universal for the most part.... what is it too bag to fit in the stock location?

S13Nissan240SX
01-30-2003, 10:33 AM
There are a couple issues with choosing the right battery for the car. The most obvious is the size restriction. Other then that, however, is the power question, and that's really what I'm trying to get a feel for. I contacted Optima and they don't make a yellow top (their better deep cycle line) for the car. I asked and they said it could potentially cause other things to fail. For example, the alternator could wear itself out faster since it will be constantly straining to charge a battery larger then it was designed to see. But I don't know how serious this is. Thats really the point behind the question. But if silnv doesn't have any trouble, I probably won't either.

SaintlyCharBoy
01-30-2003, 08:14 PM
well, assuming my 95 runs a similar batt to your s13 - the optima yellow fits, and works great

the only problem is that it is physically shorter than the stock size

basically the stock tie down doesn't do ****

2 options as far as i am concerned
~1 put a 1/2-3/4 inch plywood plate below the battery

~2 (what i did) mill up a piece of alluminum with no bend in it - it's dirt simple, it took less than half an hour

-sean (it works great :p )