PDA

View Full Version : Street Safety! Need Security/IP Cameras against theives/robbers.

MudRacer
10-24-2008, 11:21 AM
So lately, random ish has been going down on my street. I live in a pretty safe neighbourhood. But over the years someone has egged my cars, keyed one of the cars and broken a passenger window etc.

Wednesday night around 820-830pm someone rang the bell twice, My moms friend was over at the time, so by the time my dad went to open the door, the guy was already getting into the van. This was a cargo van 12+ seater. My dad said there were a bunch of guys, that were in the van, and the guy sat in the van and they took off.

I dont kno why they rang the bell, why there was a bunch of them in a cargo van, or what it is that happened, What they wanted.. Im concerned.

I need security cameras. I want something that can record upto 24hrs, save on HardDrive and I want to be able to access them from anywhere. I want to spend a maximum of $200. I already have several computers lying around that I can turn into a server to record footage 24/7

I know there are IP cameras. But have any of you used those before? How do you power those things?

I need to install 2 of these on both sides of my house. I have wifi at my house so I'd like them to be wireless. They should include a software that allows me to record footage upto 24hrs. Infrared cameras wud work too since they turn on when they see movement.

I hate Theives. Ive heard of robberies and theft in the past year. I hope they werent planning on checking up on my house, to plan a robbery later. I have alot of cars in my driveway and this is not cool.

I definitely want to get a camera up thats hidden well so I know whos doing this.
What do you guys recommend? Should I have called the police and notified them of the incident?

HyperTek
10-24-2008, 11:57 AM
asianwolf.com (http://asianwolf.com)

ive ordered from them before.. great company

MudRacer
10-24-2008, 01:05 PM
Ok ill try them out. How much did it cost u?

HyperTek
10-24-2008, 01:08 PM
well i ordered car alarm stuff, but they always send me email alerts on new stuff, their prices are cool.. figure their security stuff should be decent

Yellow4g63
10-25-2008, 07:00 AM
Good stuff on that webpage thanks for the link.

S14DB
10-25-2008, 07:13 AM
DVR Standalones / Cards & Cameras by Asianwolf CCTV Security Manufacturer (http://www.asianwolf.com/cctv-dvr-w4dvr.html)

Wow, that is an awesome price for what you get.

murda-c
10-25-2008, 08:14 AM
Call the police, sounds like they were checking to see if anyone was home.

MudRacer
10-25-2008, 09:23 AM
DVR Standalones / Cards & Cameras by Asianwolf CCTV Security Manufacturer (http://www.asianwolf.com/cctv-dvr-w4dvr.html)

Wow, that is an awesome price for what you get.

It is. I am looking at that one myself. I thnk im going to go with a few items on this site.

Thanks for the link hypertek.

KA24DESOneThree
10-25-2008, 09:44 AM
A camera will simply record you being robbed, beaten, or killed. It is not security.

I recommend a used Remington 870 or Mossberg 590 for actual security.

Security can always be defined by answering the door with one hand and knowing you have 7+1 rounds of 00 buck on the ready in the other hand.

S14DB
10-25-2008, 10:00 AM
A camera will simply record you being robbed, beaten, or killed. It is not security.

I recommend a used Remington 870 or Mossberg 590 for actual security.

Security can always be defined by answering the door with one hand and knowing you have 7+1 rounds of 00 buck on the ready in the other hand.

But what happens when you are not home? When someone steals you car while you are asleep? Great evidence in a non violent crime.

leash
10-25-2008, 10:31 AM
Thats a pretty neat site.

I wonder how well this works:
http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-14831500412995_2023_1571367

CrimsonRockett
10-25-2008, 11:06 AM
^I had something similar to that in my old white S13.

It worked so well.

One day, I was so tired from work, my mind went blank and I couldn't remember the password.

I had to walk an hour home, get the code, ride a bicycle back to my car, input the code, then drive home.

I also hid the key pad underneath the seat. So, if they ever broke in and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't start, at least that could stall them.

KA24DESOneThree
10-25-2008, 11:58 AM
But what happens when you are not home? When someone steals you car while you are asleep? Great evidence in a non violent crime.

Then you use your non-safety-related, non-security-related surveillance equipment.

Cameras + gun= safety plus a great tape to show the jury that you're innocent.

RiversideS13
10-25-2008, 01:25 PM
i am just curious which part of IE you are living at

camera is a good idea

i have a web cam made by creative lab that has motion detection feature

ZenkiGTS
10-25-2008, 01:35 PM
classic.. they're trying to break in.... my house got broken into a couple times... they go through windows... easily pried open... luckily my 4age still sits in the garage and the only thing they took was my laptop and left a knife on my bed i think my parents came home while they were inside

HyperTek
10-25-2008, 01:38 PM
get some house trained dogs be a good idea too
just not no cute lil dogs either

long time ago, a neighbor showed me his setup, he had motion sensors on all doors/windows/sliding doors wired to a radio reciever which would just kick on a loud siren sound when triggered.

miucus
10-25-2008, 05:35 PM
i had to install IP security cams at my schools computer labs.
we use Axis ip cameras and we use the software WebcamXP to record.
works good.
Axis Communications - Leader in network cameras and other IP networking solutions (http://www.axis.com/)
webcamXP :: powerful webcams and ip cameras server for windows (http://www.webcamxp.com)

firm tofu
10-25-2008, 09:51 PM
AXIS is well known for IP Cams and have been a good company to rely on. Since this isnt for a retail application you can go cheap on a camera. Im sure you might be able to find software online if you dont want to buy a dvr, as for the computer stuff depending on what you want your recording rate, this will determine the retention rate for your hard drive. at my work we have 5 terabytes but this is for 24 cams (5fps~2 weeks retention).

another ghetto rig would be to find a motion alarm rigged to beep or turn on a light inside your house when its triggered.