PDA

View Full Version : Pulling head off KA24e, PS pulley removal necessary?

MikeDeuce
01-29-2003, 09:54 AM
The FSM says to remove the power steering pulley as one of the earlier steps in pulling the head, but it's giving me too much grief and I was wondering if it was a crucial step. If so, I guess I'll remove the entire pump rather than spend any more time on the stinkin pulley alone.

(I've tried all the tricks I can think of... Increased the belt tension, it still slips. Stuck a screwdriver in the pulley, bye bye Craftsman. Stuck a long 14mm socket through it to a bolt on the PS pump mount, almost bye bye Craftsman again)

Any other tips for someone who's doing this for their first time on a KA?

thanks!
-mike

Titan
01-29-2003, 10:03 AM
Possibly try a bearing puller on the pulley?

MikeDeuce
01-29-2003, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the quick reply... I have a puller, but I think should have clarified.

I can't get the bolt (the one that secures the pulley) off to pull the pulley in the first place. When I take my breaker bar to it the whole pulley spins along regardless of belt tension, and 'sticking objects through the pulley hole' tricks.

MikeDeuce
01-30-2003, 12:27 AM
Just for those that are curious, it was easier to remove the whole damn PS pump than the pulley alone.

And 4 hours later the head is off the car. Used a straightedge on the block and head -- everything is completely flat! And the timing chain is in great condition. The head gasket was completely FUBAR, with coolant mainly in cyl 4, and some seepage between 2 and 3.

So yes, there is life after a BHG. No more can it be an excuse to swap a motor out :)