PDA

View Full Version : Getting Started in HPDE

Tyler Durdan
01-28-2003, 11:59 PM
I'm looking to getting into the HPDE this season, and would appreciate some suggestions from the veterns...tnord, bbp, hipposleek, etc. Should I just go ahead and get my membership to NASA and starting signing up for events, or wait and attend a couple of events as a spectator? I'd prefer to jump right in the deep end, but suggestions would be helpful.

Mark

tnord
01-29-2003, 01:04 AM
i think you'll be fine just jumping in. at least that's what i basically did. just make sure everything (well, at least all major systems, a busted EGR valve isn't that crucial) are in working order, you've got at least 25% tread left on your tires, enough brake pad, and lubricants in the proper places and you'll be fine. i would say your braking system is the most important system on the car by far.

just go in expecting to be REALLY slow, cause you will be. take it slow.......listen to all the instructor has to say, and try and remember 25% of it. especially for novices, the harder you try, the slower you'll be.

HippoSleek
01-29-2003, 07:10 AM
Yup - the best way to do it is to dive right in... there's no better time than the present.

My first time I was running all season tires, stock eveything except brakes, good pads and crappy fluid. Wound up having the time of my life -- and boiling the crappy fluid ;) Brakes matter more than anything else!

IME, NASA is a great organization that runs /w excellent instructors at a reasonable price. You might get more seat time elsewhere, but often at the cost of instruction. Plus, honestly, you get enough w/ NASA for a novice (your concentration will wear you down more than you think). For your first time, I might recommend taking your car to a shop to get it teched (tech forms are available at the NASA website) just to be sure (unless you really trust yourself).

Aside from that - go register! B/c after your first weekend, you are going to kick yourself for not having done it sooner!

Mark

nrcooled
01-29-2003, 11:24 AM
Amen Mark

I had my first track day last October or so and I loved it and now I'm hooked. To much fun to be had by one person (so it is really exhausting) Anyway I went w/ a basically stock 240 except for the engine and still had a great time.

The first time out you will be slow but that's fine everyone else will be too. The key is to enjoy yourself and your car.

Tyler Durdan
01-29-2003, 12:35 PM
Just upgraded to the z brakes and flushed the braking system, and put in some better fluids. Everything mechanically is in good order, and new kuhmo 712's begging to have some tread taken off. I'm probably gonna run it through a local mechanic (only one I trust) for any problems, and look to hit an event in March at Motorsports Ranch. Appreciate the thoughts.

Mark