PDA

View Full Version : How to tell a stock open diff from a lsd

akiraintegra06
01-28-2003, 11:56 PM
Im new to the 240 game and was just wondering how you tell if the car(1990 240sx) has a lsd or not just by looking at the diff? Are there markings on the housing that show its an lsd?
I found a parts car, but they guy doesnt know too much about the car(lien sale). I have already taken the motor/trans,inside wire harness, motor wire harness, ecu, ac/vent controls, dash, power win/locks/mirrors, fenders and the whole front end.
An lsd would top it off for the amazing price I paid for all this junk.
any help would be apprieciated. by the way if the price is right I will sell these parts except for the motor and trans.
thanks
Scott

mrmephistopheles
01-29-2003, 12:25 AM
LSD housing has large cooling fins on the bottom.

Jeff240sx
01-29-2003, 12:30 AM
There should also be an orange sticker on the housing telling you to fill with silicon differential fluid only.
You could also jack up the car and turn the rear wheel. If there is resistance on it after a couple turns, if not immediatly, it's limited slip.
-Jeff

drift_newbie
01-29-2003, 06:03 AM
On my s13, the stock open diff would turn the tires in opposite directions if you had it in gear with no load on the back end, but the r200v, (lsd,) turns both in the same direction.

-ben

AKADriver
01-29-2003, 07:52 AM
the 'jack it up and turn the wheel' trick could also work for a broken open diff... so I suggest not doing that.

Look for the orange sticker. By the way the sticker just says "VISCOUS LSD", nothing about the fluid. A VLSD does not require special fluid. "LSD oil" with friction modifiers is for clutch-type LSDs ONLY.

Edit: I just noticed you have a 1990. Simple way to tell if you have an LSD: YOU DON'T! :p They didn't sell 240SXs with VLSDs in 1990, case closed.