PDA

View Full Version : wheel turning by itself???

kpc_0721
10-20-2008, 02:33 PM
Video - http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u81/kpc_0721/?action=view&current=CIMG0792.flv

Just got my motor back in and pulled it out of the driveway to check if everything was good. After pulling out I noticed the power steering wasn't working at all so pulled it back in.

Put more steering fluid in, started the car back up and tried to turn the wheel a little and it started jerking back and forth and turning by itself?!? Didn't change anything besides put more fluid in before the problem started.

If there were a little crimp in the line could it cause this or something even electrical? My buddy was wiring a couple gauges in last night and pulled the cover around the steering column and wired them into the light switch so I was thinking maybe a wire got cut or shorted?

One more thing is the plug for the Power steering ripped off when I pulled the motor but I was told I would not need it but can't really find anything about the plug so any idea what its purpose is?

Just to let you guys know my power steering worked perfectly fine before I pulled the motor.

tt99ol
10-20-2008, 02:37 PM
bleed it then it should be fine
to bleed it jack the front end up
turn steering wheel lock to lock 50 times
add fluid when necessary
if the problem persists check belt tension

kpc_0721
10-20-2008, 05:16 PM
I thought thats what it might be so I tried that earlier, at first the wheel was hard as shit to turn then started getting alot easier and put it back on the ground and started it up and it kept doing the same thing.

Maybe I didn't turn it enough times.

So anyone have any idea what the plug does and if it is needed?

zugoi
10-20-2008, 05:39 PM
I remember reading a thread a long time ago and the person had the same problem. If he touched the steering wheel a little it would just turn it self clock to clock insanely fast. he posted a video and he wasnt joking. I think his problem was cause by reversing the power steering lines. So you might wanna check to see if your ps lines are on correctly.

kpc_0721
10-20-2008, 06:45 PM
Me and a buddy have been outside trying to bleed it for about an hour. Must have turned the damn wheel about 300 times lock to lock.

I never even thought about having them backwards, but yea I am having the same problem, my wheel just goes crazy if I turn it 1 inch.

Trying to find a pick of how the lines go but does anyone know which nozzle the high pressure line goes to?

kpc_0721
10-21-2008, 09:27 AM
Now that I look at it I don't see how anyone could get them backwards haha.

So no the hoses are fine.

Can't seem to find any leaks so I think there is just a shitload of air in there from starting the car up with out topping out the fluid which was my dumbass mistake.

Bled it last night, dropped the car back down and let it sit overnight to try and let some of the air settle by itself.

Gonna put a little bit of the lucas power steering later after work and bleed it again and see how it goes.

Any other ideas what it might be guys?

There is a small little crimp on the cooling line but I didn't think it would be enough to cause this problem and it didnt do it at first when I drove the car but its always a possibility.

kpc_0721
10-21-2008, 04:18 PM
CIMG0792.flv - Video - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting (http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u81/kpc_0721/?action=view&current=CIMG0792.flv)

Seems like there is a ton of air in the rack itself, every time I get near lock I can hear the air inside it.

So does anyone know what the plug on the high pressure line is for and could it be causing this???

Was also thinking maybe it controls a valve of some sort to relieve pressure and maybe it is not opening due to it not be connected?

Please guys need some help on this asap.

Oh and yes I know the steering wheel is gay but its small and fits nicely in my hands...just like the thing that between my legs :keke:

tt99ol
10-21-2008, 11:08 PM
the sensor is a pressure sensor used to bump the idle for steering while parked

kpc_0721
10-21-2008, 11:54 PM
oh ok thanks, so I'm guessing its not really needed then and definitely shouldn't be causing my problem....I'm gonna double check all the lines again and make sure I hooked the rear hard lines in the rack up correct.

Watch the video, its kind of funny but crappy for me.

japslapsilvia
10-22-2008, 12:44 PM
that shits nuts!!!! never seen one that bad.....

i would suggest draining all the P/S fluid. putiing in ATF which nissan reccomends, then (with car in the air) turn lock to lock a few time (engine off), check level, then start and turn lock to lock. to finish bleeding the system.

kpc_0721
10-22-2008, 06:25 PM
Think I may have just found the problem.

Looked that the hard lines on the back of the rack and the fittings are installed wrong.

Lines are a little bent so they lined up with the wrong holes perfectly lol.

Gonna pull them out, re-bend them and see if that fixes the problem.