PDA

View Full Version : 2 oil related questions about SR20DETs

chituntang
10-19-2008, 09:31 PM
I have 2 questions

1. My oil dip stick does not sit complete into the tube (seems like where you pull the dip stick is broke), how will this affect my engine?

2. Oil cooler setup v. bigger oil pan. Which is better any why? I know if you do the oil cooler setup correctly, you will have a thermostat to control when the oil pass though the cooler, versus the aftermarket oil pan will not.

Thank you
Jesse

japslapsilvia
10-20-2008, 09:42 AM
1. this will not affect your engine other than not getting a correct oil level reading.

2. i personally would say both and quality pan and an oil cooler, pans such as greddy have cooling fins at the bottom and increase the amount of oil, both of which provide a nominal cooling. (more oil means that it will dissapate heat better).
replacing the stock pan is always a good idea (providing u do it with a quality pan), because of the increase capacity, the slightly bigger pick-up to pan clearance. also they are less likly to be dented causing starvation, actually a cast aluminum pan will not dent but crack, so oil pressure gauge is deff. something to think about.

oil coolers are a GREAT investment with an SR, and can be made rather cheap now-a-days, i got a core from an old volvo, a greddy filter adapter, the one with the thermostat, and a tomei block adapter, and summit racing/mr gasket -10 AN hoses and hose ends.