PDA

View Full Version : ARP Head Studs vs GREX

Geno750
10-19-2008, 12:14 AM
Not sure if this has been covered here, but a few friends of mine as well as Scott Avoy (RS Enthlapy) have spoken out against the ARP studs saying they aren't so great for the SR20, and that they don't have very good thread engagement into the block, causing the head to lift at moderate hp levels. I've gotten around to pulling apart one of my motors with arp studs and am building another engine to use the GREX studs. I thought this was interesting.

ARP stud is on the left, GREX is on the right
http://www.airepoweraviation.com/carprogress/headstuds.jpg

GREX nut is on left, ARP nut on right
http://www.airepoweraviation.com/carprogress/headnuts.jpg

timtiminy
10-19-2008, 12:20 AM
this is really interesting. too bad there isnt any head studs that are comparable to grex in the way they are made but priced like the arp ones.

Geno750
10-19-2008, 12:25 AM
this is really interesting. too bad there isnt any head studs that are comparable to grex in the way they are made but priced like the arp ones.

True, I was lucky and got the studs ordered before Greddy restructured their pricing, but even then, it was still expensive. It was still a lot less than going with the 1/2 mazworx studs though.

steve shadows
10-19-2008, 12:29 AM
ARP work fine, Reused mine 3-4 times now with the Apexi HG

The Grex are a little nicer and of course Mazwrox owns the pot.

good post btw, I did a big write up on head stuff on FA a long time ago, that was the thread where mazworx leaked their new studs, Ill see if I can find it later...

Geno750
10-19-2008, 12:33 AM
ARP work fine, Reused mine 3-4 times now with the Apexi HG

The Grex are a little nicer and of course Mazwrox owns the pot.

good post btw, I did a big write up on head stuff on FA a long time ago, that was the thread where mazworx leaked their new studs, Ill see if I can find it later...

I think I remember reading that post, but if you find it I definitely want to revisit it.