PDA

View Full Version : Is cometic MLS HG reusable?

hatchbaak
10-13-2008, 11:31 PM
Hi zilvians, i have a question im sure one of you know. is the cometic mls headgasket reusable? ive heard rumors it is. searching returned no results. it was put on the engine (ka24de) torqued down, engine cranked over and ran for maybe 2 min. then the head was removed along with gasket because it was torqued down in the wrong pattern. the rest is history. is it reusable?

Bigsyke
10-13-2008, 11:34 PM
yes, but as far as cometic goes

OEM > Cometic

So I would replace it.

hatchbaak
10-13-2008, 11:44 PM
yes, but as far as cometic goes

OEM > Cometic

So I would replace it.

Not that i care since i have both, but, could you elaborate on that? what do you find bad about cometic? thanks btw.

LongGrain
10-13-2008, 11:51 PM
cometic is just garbage, not much to elaborate on..

neilsan
10-13-2008, 11:51 PM
I'm surprised to hear a cometic is reusable. They're metal, so they come off in one piece and all, but I'd really doubt the crush seal of the cometic "bounces back" after being torqued.

In fact I think there was a member on hear a few years ago that reused his cometic for N/A purposes and it ran for about 20 minutes before blowing compression and coolant out the side of the motor.

hatchbaak
10-14-2008, 12:04 AM
alright, thanks guys. ill just stick to fel-pro. it looks like nothing but neg from cometic ka users. even in the thread a few spots down! it looks like you are all pretty strong on your opinions about this. so ill just take it to the front yard, pull my pants down and poop on it.

DDSR240
10-14-2008, 12:20 AM
cometic is just garbage, not much to elaborate on..
f***in basher there are too many other things that could have givin you a bad experiance...I have a 523hp sr and it has had cometic hg on it both times with zero problems(436hp on stock bottom end then went to forged)

Este510
10-14-2008, 02:47 AM
I have nothing bad to say about cometic, I have one, and I'm putting down 413whp on a dyno dynamic. I still have a stock bottom end, and still running strong.

awesomenick
10-14-2008, 09:17 AM
I have one in my KA now, it's been in there for a long time. I used to have a KA-T, only ran a half bar. Now it's N/A but still, I daily drove it forever, no problems. I have ARP head studs too.

240s4life
10-14-2008, 09:57 AM
it's really a finicky thing. Cometic's design is really flawed. They don't typically seal well unless you've had your block decked and your head shaved to where they are both smooth.
Even then, they tend to not seal.
Mine didn't, and several of my friends didn't either.

But that's just been my experience with them.

s15specR
10-14-2008, 09:59 AM
it's really a finicky thing. Cometic's design is really flawed. They don't typically seal well unless you've had your block decked and your head shaved to where they are both smooth.
Even then, they tend to not seal.
Mine didn't, and several of my friends didn't either.

But that's just been my experience with them.

What did you guys torque it to ?

1QUICK4
10-14-2008, 10:24 AM
Yes it is re-usable.

Even though they say don't I'd spray some coppercoat on it.

ej2civic
10-14-2008, 10:29 AM
i had a similar situation as you after the initial break in point i had to take the head back off and i reused my cometic on my KA-T and so far at 17psi on a t3/t4 i have no problems and have several thousand miles on it.

I used the copper spray.

-Travis

smelly240
10-14-2008, 10:56 AM
the people that bash cometics are just repeating what they've read. I never had a problem... the power ent and apexi are great tho.... and i hear cosworth is nicest of all

the copper spray is key on the cometics.