PDA

View Full Version : rim sizing, front 17 rear 16

s13rookie
01-25-2003, 02:39 AM
i was about to order a set of rims for my car but realized it had sizing at 17" front and 16" rear. what, if any are the advantages of having sizing like this? im not positive but im pretty sure the 16"s were wider than the 17's, thanks, matt

tnord
01-25-2003, 10:12 AM
this is the worst idea ever.

240racer
01-25-2003, 10:20 AM
I'm not saying he is going about this the right way, but I don't think it's a bad idea at all. MY friend and I were working on a 17/15 setup for his MKIII supra. He wanted to run big fat tires out back on 15" wheels and he "needed" to run 17" wheels up front to get around the big brakes he was planning to slow that beast down. The yokohama avs int. were available in 335/35-15 for a bit there at tirerack pretty cheap and if he ran those in back with 245/45-17 or something in front then it would be pretty cool. The problem came when we tried to find wide enough rear wheels that matched 17" front wheels. Anyway, for the regular person I don't think it's a good idea, but on a really high powered heavy rwd car the front and rear tires have vastly different requirements. BTW this was more of a street/street race/drag strip setup not road racing. We both think there is no reason to stagger our tire sizes since both cars understeer already.