PDA

View Full Version : Turbocharger sizes/models

misnomer
01-24-2003, 03:59 PM
Anybody care to share, or have reference to, the differences between turbocharger models? Main question weould be to differentiate between sizes like t3 versus 18g, etc. I have no plans to turbocharge my car anytime soon, just curious :-)

AceInHole
01-24-2003, 05:17 PM
Things like T3 and T4 (generally Garrett designation) and TD04 and TD05 (generally Mitsubishi designation) indicate the "family". The trims like .60 A/R and such break things down a bit more, but with the Mitsubishi compressors the second set of numbers indicate the compressor size. It generally goes in order from 12g to 20g (20g being the largest), and I THINK (not quite sure exactly) that the different letter (such as 12A and 12B) indicate different housings.
An example might be my TD05-12B. TD05 Mitsubishi turbo with a 12B compressor.

At least.... that's the basics from what I've seen. I've been looking at Mitsubishi turbos a bit more than Garretts though since I've got a Mitsu. I'm sure someone else can go further.

misnomer
01-25-2003, 12:01 AM
Oh yeah, trim sizes. I know that's the main impact on how quick or slow a turbo will spool. Anybody know of a FAQ or a site with general information on it?

nissmo240sx
01-25-2003, 11:39 AM
if you are planning on turbocharging your KA24de which i did about almost a year ago, i would not suggest a mitsubishi turbo like the tdo5 etc. If you researched and know, greddy uses those those turbochargers in their turbokits for a wide variety of cars. with personal experience, if you are going to turbocharge your KA motor, find a proper sized t3/t4 Garret turbocharger. if you cant afford one, just buy a cheap t3 from the junkyard- not reccomendation though.

AceInHole
01-25-2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by nissmo240sx
if you are planning on turbocharging your KA24de which i did about almost a year ago, i would not suggest a mitsubishi turbo like the tdo5 etc. If you researched and know, greddy uses those those turbochargers in their turbokits for a wide variety of cars. with personal experience, if you are going to turbocharge your KA motor, find a proper sized t3/t4 Garret turbocharger. if you cant afford one, just buy a cheap t3 from the junkyard- not reccomendation though.

Just a question, but why would you not suggest a Mitsubishi turbo, then use a large company that uses those turbos as an example?? It seems as though you're either contradicting yourself or implying that Greddy using Mitsubishi style turbos is a bad thing....

nissmo240sx
01-25-2003, 12:46 PM
sorry to offend ya Ace.
Oh, Greddy turbo kits suck for the price and the power output compared to most other kits. it is simple as that; you should definately know that. Ride in a Greddy turbocharged GSR, then ride in a Drag turbocharged gsr.
my friend turbocharges cars all the time, that is basically his living. i work with him too and we have used a variety of different turbochargers. the powerband response of those turbochargers are different. If someone is going to spend money on a turbocharger, then they might as well get one that will work better or more efficiently for their application. I am not going to respond back to this post again because i dont have time for it. You sound like a cool guy, so you can take over from here. i just decided to throw in comment; not to offend anyone. so sorry if i did.

AceInHole
01-25-2003, 07:53 PM
No offense taken. I went with the TD05 simply because it was available to me, and came off a car with similar displacement that ran the same amount of boost as was my target at the time (7psi).
Anyways, going with a Mitsubishi, Garrett, IHI, KKK, or whatever... all you have to do is find the proper size for whatever power level you want to get to. Using a Mitsubishi for example, the TD05-12B is working fine (boost still relatively low, under 10psi), but later on I'll want something like a TD05-16G (hoping for a good 12psi). Someone else who might want to push a lot of boost might want a TD06-20G..... The same applies to the Garrett turbos (different trim and family as applies).

misnomer
01-25-2003, 09:51 PM
Hehe, if I do ever decide to turbocharge, I'd go the cheap route, 'cause I'm a cheap bastard. Pull a t3 from a 300zx or something of that sort.

My main interest would be something that spools very quickly, and efficient to mebbe 7-10 PSI.

240Stilo
01-26-2003, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by misnomer
I'm a cheap bastard.

My thoughts exactly, I found myself a T3 if from an old thunderbird I believe. But, I need some help understanding what I can expect from it when it has AR .63 and .60 on the other side.