PDA

View Full Version : My oil frozen?

anthony240
11-25-2001, 07:44 PM
My car has been sitting out for the past 2 weeks now, and I just decided to start it up, I miss the growl of it. I turn the ignition, and it dies, I try again and it wont start, it's cranking, but it feels like something is stuck. I check the oil dipstick and the oil is VERY thick. What happened here? I used synthetic oil, 10w-40, think it broke down or something like that? How do I get it to drain out now?

chickenmanq
11-25-2001, 10:05 PM
Does it come out of your drain plug in the bottom of the pan?  I'd check for metal fragments.  OR, if you put too much oil in an engine, it won't be able to turn.  You only put in around 4 quarts, right?

91CRXsiR
11-25-2001, 10:22 PM
what did the oil look like .. how was it "thick"?

why was it sitting outside for 2 weeks?
i blew my head gasket on my corolla gts once. and there was coolant and water all up in my oil.. eww it looked nasty man

anthony240
11-25-2001, 11:42 PM
The oil was dark, and synthetic looks very light brown, and I put 4 quarts last time I got a change. It's down and out for a while, spun out and hit a curb driving too fast in the rain with bald tires, nothing serious, just my whole rear left suspension area and subframe needs to be replaced (including wheel), hopefully insurance will finally come and check it out this week.

S13Grl
11-26-2001, 10:23 AM
Turn the key and hold it and keep pumping your gas pedal. That should probably do it for you.

anthony240
11-26-2001, 05:12 PM
you sure it won't break anything tho?

91CRXsiR
11-27-2001, 12:58 AM
nah dont do that. thats how i blew my headgasket..
try changing the oil and the try it agian.. then see if all hoses are connecte and working.. check plugs

S13Grl
11-27-2001, 11:56 AM
Well, the car that I'm driving now had a similar problem. It would only turn over halfway. The oil is thick every time when checked if left in cold weather. Perhaps the CRX guy is right, you may or may not blow a head gasket, but... I'd give it a try if I were you.

chickenmanq
11-27-2001, 06:54 PM
Did you check to make sure that it wasn't over-filled?  Too much oil, and the bottom of your pistons will run into the oil, and that doesn't work very well.

Also, are your valves leaking?  If they are significantly bad, they could have leaked oil into your pistons, leaving a huge puddle of oil that won't compress or burn.

When I tipped over our Kubota (diesel tractor), it filled up the cylinders with oil so when I tried to start it, it ran into the oil, and just couldn't do it.  Fortunately, they have a lever so you can run with the valves open because they figure if you use your tractor, sooner or later you'll tip it over, and short of taking out the spark plugs and cranking it, an easier way is to build a valve releaser into the engine.