PDA

View Full Version : ***So the country is swirling down the crapper***

LongLostLatz
10-08-2008, 04:38 PM
Ive never really been into politics because it always seemed like it was a problem too big to fix, especially in its current corrupt state. Im sure like a lot of other people, recent events have gotten me pretty frustrated over the state of our country and how most people are so oblivious to what is really going because they just believe whatever they see on TV. US debt is upwards of 10 trillion dollars, the stock market is plummeting at record rates, unemployment is at an all time high. Meanwhile we are bailing out big companies to the tune of 70 billion dollars, with no action against the people that actually fueled the fire. Most, if not all of the CEO's of the companies that tanked walked away with bonuses and salaries anywhere from 11 million (Freddie Mac CEO) to (Angelo Mozilo, CEO countrywide) who walked away with a staggering 361 million dollars over 3 years. We are bailing out rich people and shafting the working people. People are losing there jobs and homes while AIG is sending its employees on 450k dollar spa trips 3 days after the 70 billion dollar loan was approved.

Am I the only one that feels like enough is enough? Our government obviously doesn't have the best interest of the general population at heart, where do we go from here?

repda916
10-08-2008, 04:50 PM
"where do we go from here?" no one knows.

SlideWell
10-08-2008, 05:12 PM
organize mass riots

Mi Beardo es Loco
10-08-2008, 05:17 PM
It's 1979 all over again. 11% unemployment is not far away my friend

But don't believe the media hype about it being 1939 all over again. The reason I say that is because Americans are losing faith in American products. If there was a better time than now to buy American than pleas name it! If the media stops all the negativity and all this "our economy will never get fixed" talk then maybe we could make a step in the right direction.

LongLostLatz
10-08-2008, 05:19 PM
I thought of that but the best way to rally people would be on the internet, which unfortunately is also the best way to get caught up.

My other ideas are related to starting a new life abroad. Any suggestions on new places to live? Maybe somewhere in Asia where the remaining balance of my savings account will afford me to live like a king for 7 bucks a day.

ALTRNTV
10-08-2008, 05:24 PM
You forget that the Asian and European economies suffer when the
American economy suffers, so you're not better off anywhere else.

Mi Beardo es Loco
10-08-2008, 05:32 PM
I thought of that but the best way to rally people would be on the internet, which unfortunately is also the best way to get caught up.

My other ideas are related to starting a new life abroad. Any suggestions on new places to live? Maybe somewhere in Asia where the remaining balance of my savings account will afford me to live like a king for 7 bucks a day.
Bill Maher does a piece on every show of other countries you could move to if McCain becomes pres.

LongLostLatz
10-08-2008, 05:50 PM
Gotta look that up on Youtube, I don't have HBO.

As for the economy in Europe and Asia being affected there is no doubt they will feel a strain. Its just a matter of quality of living, I just finished college and it really seems like it couldn't be a worse time to be trying to strike out in the world.

Im just saying if im gonna be trying to live off 1200-1500 bucks a month it would go further in say Indonesia or Thailand than Los Angeles.

Im just starting to realize that the house of cards most people spend there lives building can collapse at any time and maybe I want more than that for my life... The endless pursuit of material things.

Max_PSi
10-08-2008, 05:53 PM
Well, I wish all we needed was $70 billion for the bailout. It "used" to be 700 billion. But that ballooned to I think $810 or $840 billion dollars.

I personally think that there's plenty of blame to go around. From the banks giving out bad loans, to mortgage brokers "fixing" ppl's applications, to appraiser's appraising ppl's homes for more then they were worth, to the jackass who thought a 35K salary with nothing down was enough to afford a 350K house.

Republicans are typically for corporate America.
Democrats are typically for middle America.

How about we all except responsibility. Stop buying material items with money we don't have. I am certainly no exception. However, I wasn't the one buying that house with a 35K a year salary either. This Country is too levereged with money it doesn't have. Both in Government and personally.

mRclARK1
10-08-2008, 06:12 PM
organize mass riots

Yeah... cause that would help. :ugh:

qwikspool
10-08-2008, 06:14 PM
we just keep on living our normal lives:fruit:

lflkajfj12123
10-08-2008, 06:18 PM
max out your credit cards

its free money!!

LongLostLatz
10-08-2008, 07:06 PM
Where is Gordon Gekko when you need him...

"It's not a question of enough, pal. It's a zero sum game, somebody wins, somebody loses. Money itself isn't lost or made, it's simply transferred from one perception to another".
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y38/hoobuttacrew/gordongecko.jpg

Andrew Bohan
10-08-2008, 07:09 PM
read a book called "the creature from jekyll island"

it's got kind of a conspiracy-theory slant to it, but if you can rear past that and cross check some info it's pretty insightful

Ben G
10-08-2008, 07:12 PM
AIG is sending its employees on 450k dollar spa trips 3 days after the 70 billion dollar loan was approved.

Am I the only one that feels like enough is enough? Our government obviously doesn't have the best interest of the general population at heart, where do we go from here?

those people got arrested and are going to prison

Mi Beardo es Loco
10-08-2008, 07:23 PM
The United States will become the Island of Dr. Moreau. I call M'ling!!!!!!

twotoes
10-08-2008, 07:31 PM
we just keep on living our normal lives:fruit:

i agree with you, keep on keepin on for as long as we can.

BustedS13
10-08-2008, 07:36 PM
It's 1979 all over again. 11% unemployment is not far away my friend

But don't believe the media hype about it being 1939 all over again. The reason I say that is because Americans are losing faith in American products. If there was a better time than now to buy American than pleas name it! If the media stops all the negativity and all this "our economy will never get fixed" talk then maybe we could make a step in the right direction.

pretty sure you mean 1929 :)

murda-c
10-08-2008, 07:39 PM
pretty sure you mean 1929 :)

nobody told you about wwIII huh?

BustedS13
10-08-2008, 07:42 PM
nobody told you about wwIII huh?

it's my second favorite KMFDM album

S14DB
10-08-2008, 07:43 PM
It's all your party's fault and if your candidate is elected it won't get any better.

spikNspan
10-08-2008, 07:57 PM
I seriously think we are so screwed that no matter who wins the election we are still going to be screwed. I mean 800 billion dollars? come on, that's gonna take a little more than one candidates worth of time to fix. people need to realize that shit isn't going to get repaired over night and that we should all do what we can to fix things little by little. maybe our grandkids can live happily after we're all dead.

RJF
10-08-2008, 07:59 PM
SNL finally did something factual.

SNL Bailout C-SPAN Video Skit (http://www.snlbailout.cx/)

spikNspan
10-08-2008, 08:03 PM
SNL finally did something factual.

SNL Bailout C-SPAN Video Skit (http://www.snlbailout.cx/)

thank you for finally posting something useful.

Gnnr
10-08-2008, 09:08 PM

Actually its 700 billion, not 70 billion. To answer your questions. No your not the only one and we go downhill from here. The bright side is, when you hit rock bottom, there's only one way to go. Up. :hsdance:

I like these two SNL skits too. :bigok:

Saturday Night Live - Palin / Hillary Open - Video - NBC.com (http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Live/video/clips/palin-hillary-open/656281/)
Saturday Night Live - Couric / Palin Open - Video - NBC.com (http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Live/video/clips/couric-palin-open/704042/)

sillyvia13
10-09-2008, 09:47 PM
It's all your party's fault and if your candidate is elected it won't get any better.

ahhhh ok...
Your posts are like dry saltine crackers...
I love them tho....
lmao

KA24DESOneThree
10-09-2008, 10:18 PM
organize mass riots

Working on it.