PDA

View Full Version : 90 ka24e automatic transmission problem?(new guy)

khmer1
10-08-2008, 01:12 AM
hi i need help i tried searching it and only comes up problem for M/T so im gonna make it brief when i drive my 240sx it doesn't shift it just climbs up the rpm with the mph following it and wonder what the problem is this normal? and cant find it in the fsm(i guess im not looking hard enough) and helpful information is appreciated

btw i could make a video of it but quality might be bad due to taking it with my cell phone. Oh yea forgot to mention not planning on swapping it to manual or any of the sort it just my regular dd

s13boy89
10-08-2008, 01:16 AM
umm change your trans fluid and filter see if that helps

khmer1
10-08-2008, 02:08 PM
i just check the transmission oil and it looks decent like a pink color and what you mean filter?

brokeAs240sx
10-08-2008, 02:18 PM
you should be able to find the fsm by either searching here or google - I've found it a bunch of times.

Anyway, from your description, sounds like you are stuck in 3rd gear (tranny fail safe mode). Pull the tranny code, here's the lil clipping I saved from a member on another forum:

I originally found this in the nissan tech forum. [B]. Here's a copy from my records. I can't remember where I found it for sure so here you go. I believe this was originally posted by nistech, correct me if I'm wrong. I hope this isn't against any forum rules, someone please let me know if it is.

" "1)start vehicle and warm it to operating temp.
2) turn the key off and press the OD button to on position make sure shifter is in park.
3)Turn the key on engine not running make sure the od light comes on for 2 seconds. If it does go to #4 if not post back.
4) turn the key off and shift the trans to D. use the lock release if neccesary. Set the OD switch to off.
5) turn the key on and wait at least 2 seconds. then set OD switch to on.
6) Shift to 1
7) set overdrive switch to off.
8) press accelerator to floor then release it completly
9) set overdrive switch to on.

This will start the OD light to flash your codes. The light will have one long illumination flash then start flashing short blips. Watch the flashes carfully cause one or more of them will stay on slightly longer then the others. There are 10 flashes total. If say it goes like this, first the start signal long flash then
blip..blip..blink.blip..blip..blip..blip..blip..bl ip..blip. notice how the thrid was a little longer. The would be a 3 which corrospondes to TPS short or open.

When you do it there are 10 posibilities plus a no failure which would be all blips of the light."."

As for what the actual blips are, you need the FSM (pretty sure it's somewhere in there).

khmer1
10-08-2008, 06:50 PM
ok so i tried this the one broke240sx suggested and couldn't get the o/d light to flash tried it numerous times and i also checked for ecu code and got 55 which is everything ok right

hopefully changing my transmission fluid works i readed somewhere that it takes 8 3/4 quarts of it (got damn) really?

btw any recommendation for transmission fluid i was just gonna us the cheap advance auto parts if that ok cause 8/9 quarts is like woooowww

P_856
10-08-2008, 08:07 PM
my car has the same problem when i first start driving its cool then all of a sudden i step on the gas and it wont rev about 2k rpm im pretty sure its stuck in third gear is there a way to fix this i havent drove my car in 2 weeks im planing on swaping the trans but i dont have and time right now i miss driving my car :-/

khmer1
10-08-2008, 10:37 PM
damn so what you doing a manual swap?

P_856
10-08-2008, 10:42 PM
i was or will do in the future lol i have a manual trans and all the stuff but i dont have any time to put it in but i have any extra auto trans i pulled from my parts car that im going to put in pretty soon hopefully haha i just noticed ur name its funny 2 khmer guys both with 240s and we have the same trans problems

khmer1
10-09-2008, 10:22 AM
wTF interesting haha

P_856
10-09-2008, 02:12 PM
but yea im going to check all the sensors on mines and maby swap some over from my other trans and see if that fixes it

khmer1
10-11-2008, 08:59 PM
well damn haha why all of these answer if from the dohc version i tried looking for answer for the sohc and nothing comes up or does it does both ways?

khmer1
10-12-2008, 02:13 AM
Can some one provide me with the location of the speed sensor and a pic for the ka24e sohc

projectRDM
10-12-2008, 10:34 AM
Guys, not to be a dick but you'd get more help if your posts appeared to be written by someone with an IQ of more than 3. I can barely get through them and understand anything you're saying.

1) grammar
2) capitalization
3) punctuation

Most people feel someone who can't type worth a shit is too stupid to diagnose a problem on their car, myself included.

The automatic transmission is the same from 89-98. Trying to find SOHC only repair tips is pointless, it's the same as the DOHC. I don't know if that's what you meant but I read both of those, figured that's your intent.

Changing the fluid in an automatic is not the same as changing oil or diff fluid, the transmission has a pump, so the fluid in the pan is maybe 40% of what's actually in the entire unit. The filter sits at the bottom, behind the pan, and is replaced by draining the pan, removing the pan, and then removing the filter. This will help but the correct way to do it is to drain and refill several times over the course of a driving cycle, that way you're constantly cycling the new fluid in and every time you drain it you're getting more of the old fluid out. This gets expensive as you're going through a lot of fluid and it takes a lot more time, usually you'll drain once every two days up to 10 times, but that ensures you've gotten all the old fluid out. The only other way to fully flush it all is to have it hooked up to a fluid recovery machine that will actually pump fluid in and out while manually operation the transmission's pump. Either way, after you've fully flushed it all and have nothing but bright red fluid draining out the pan, then you replace the filter.
Generally though if a full flush and filter job doesn't help much then you've already damaged a solenoid or valve body and will require a replacement transmission. Continuing to drive it will only do more damage.

khmer1
10-12-2008, 01:40 PM
damn what a dick but appreciate the help yes sir