PDA

View Full Version : Escaping America

spoolandslide
10-05-2008, 03:28 AM
I'm 18, an Eagle Scout, and attend Palomar Community College on a cal-grant.
I have no money and haven't completed any units yet.

Is there any way to study abroad in any other country for free or for a price thats basically free?

What do I have to do to get out of this place?

I've been searching on the internet hard but haven't come up with anything conclusive.

ESmorz
10-05-2008, 03:30 AM
Pretty unpatriotic for an Eagle Scout.

:keke:

:love:

spoolandslide
10-05-2008, 03:35 AM
Patriotism has nothing to do with it. :coolugh:

Eagle Scouts are good people, not americans.

Shouldn't you be writing your book?

Ben G
10-05-2008, 04:57 AM
do you know anyone with a business in another country?... thats how my cousin did it they payed for the flight and i think even for them to stay not sure about that though

Ben G
10-05-2008, 04:58 AM
when are you going to drop your motor in by the way?

jzepol1985
10-05-2008, 05:03 AM
Get a KBR job in Iraq when I was there recently these guys are banking I think they start at 50k tax free and you a get a paid vacation every four months. But downside is you are in Iraq.

SlideWell
10-05-2008, 05:21 AM
get a minimum 2 year degree and move to canada.

HalveBlue
10-05-2008, 06:42 AM
I'm 18, an Eagle Scout, and attend Palomar Community College on a cal-grant.
I have no money and haven't completed any units yet.

Is there any way to study abroad in any other country for free or for a price thats basically free?

What do I have to do to get out of this place?

I've been searching on the internet hard but haven't come up with anything conclusive.

Go to your schools Education Counseling center and see what they have available. Also look online.

Or, find an American university abroad and see what their entrance requirements are.

So are the only options I can think of.

lucky7
10-05-2008, 08:21 AM
i know several people that have done this. when they get home, they they cant even put into words, how excited they are to be home. :keke:

90hatchie
10-05-2008, 08:44 AM
you got a few choices that will actually pay you also

army
marines
airforce
navy

BustedS13
10-05-2008, 09:52 AM
i'm an Eagle scout too, it's completely useless.

niSm095
10-05-2008, 10:34 AM
I plan on moving to the great white north after I get my masters degree...already have a bachelors...oh..they want me. haha Like someone else said..go for at least a 2 year degree...canada will take you I think

Fries
10-05-2008, 10:48 AM
Going out of country is definitely an experience. It all depends on how you will handle it though. If you don't like living away from mommy and daddy you're going to have a problem. If you're anti social, you'll definitely have a problem.

The real fun about getting out of the country is meshing with the local "economy".

Why are you trying to leave the US?

mRclARK1
10-05-2008, 11:23 AM
I plan on moving to the great white north after I get my masters degree...already have a bachelors...oh..they want me. haha Like someone else said..go for at least a 2 year degree...canada will take you I think

What makes you think you can just walk in to Canada because you have a 2 year degree?

FYI a higher % of Canadians have post secondary education than Americans, so it means it's nothing special.

Granted, immigrating to Canada is easier than to many other countries, but you still need a reason to do so... You can't just enter the country and legally stay as long as you want for no good reason.

There seems to be a lot of people on this forum who have no idea how good they have it living in America. :ugh:

imotion s14
10-05-2008, 11:34 AM
visit sweden and just never leave. They pay you for everything, you don't need to work at all.

The ROMAN
10-05-2008, 11:36 AM
I hear Somalia is pretty nice this time of year.

drift freaq
10-05-2008, 12:50 PM
I hear Somalia is pretty nice this time of year.

LOL hahahhahahha, to the OP if you want to study abroad enroll in a 4 year University. They are the ones that usually have study abroad programs. I know my ex Korean American girlfriend went from Cal Berkeley to Leeds to study. On a Cal program.

ESmorz
10-05-2008, 01:48 PM
you got a few choices that will actually pay you also

army
marines
airforce
navy

Haha

yeah

right.

fliprayzin240sx
10-05-2008, 03:13 PM
Get a KBR job in Iraq when I was there recently these guys are banking I think they start at 50k tax free and you a get a paid vacation every four months. But downside is you are in Iraq.

Haha, KBR job...what kinda KBR job can he get that will pay him over $50k with no education?
Only thing thats coming to mind is Porta-Pottie Technician, aka Shitter Getter.

majuljo
10-05-2008, 04:51 PM
i use to go to palomar and just go to the admin building and they can answer everything and i even think there is a study abroad program and they can help you pay for stuff.

muddafakka
10-05-2008, 05:17 PM
Studying abroad sounds like a nice idea on paper but in reality, I don't think it'll work out because I'll end up wanting to go out places and stuff. But that's just me.

I mean come on, if I got to go Japan or something you really think I wanna be stuck in class?

But if your community college is anything like mine, go talk to the study abroad/student travel adviser.

On a side note, I've been strongly considering taking a break from college for numerous reasons. I just need to get my shit together and really figure out what I wanna do because right now I'm a bit lost. I thought I had everything figured out but now, I'm not so sure. I feel like traveling but I are broke.

Ben G
10-05-2008, 07:14 PM
palomar is having some Peru thing for the spring semester i believe hit that shit up now

spoolandslide
10-05-2008, 08:12 PM
armed services.... no thanks haha

i was looking on the internet last night and i found that alot of colleges in europe are tuition free and the room and board is very nominal

but the question is what do i have to do to go over there?
do i have to have 2 years general ed or a Bachelors?
can i just buy a plane ticket and show up or what?

yeah canada is a good option, my cars legal and so is mj
but i couldn't stand the winters

ill check out that thing in peru

it says everywhere that you can study abroad for free, but nothing definite, its kinda annoying

mad rep points for an internet link that can begin my journey:Ownedd:

Future240
10-05-2008, 08:14 PM
Studying abroad sounds like a nice idea on paper but in reality, I don't think it'll work out because I'll end up wanting to go out places and stuff. But that's just me.

I mean come on, if I got to go Japan or something you really think I wanna be stuck in class?

But if your community college is anything like mine, go talk to the study abroad/student travel adviser.

On a side note, I've been strongly considering taking a break from college for numerous reasons. I just need to get my shit together and really figure out what I wanna do because right now I'm a bit lost. I thought I had everything figured out but now, I'm not so sure. I feel like traveling but I are broke.

I would advise against it, I know several people who took breaks and never went back.

Some advice on direction, figure out where your passions(not hobbies) lie, and if possible try to follow those to employment.

Say for instance I love business, I want to own my own stereo shop one day, till then I am majoring in management and marketing and tryin to get an internship with AT@T.

Stick with it, it will work out for ya:bigok:

spoolandslide
10-05-2008, 08:22 PM
^ haha sounded so positive until i saw your avatar

i dunno americas great i guess, but i only know what a couple towns in cali are all about
if the other country sucks then w/e, ill come back and it would have been a good experience

plus i wanna tag some foreign bitches:naughtyd:

theicecreamdan
10-05-2008, 08:28 PM
I don't know about palomar, but cuyamaca/grossmont has some study abroad programs every semester. Coming up is something in Italy, I'm waiting for a good one.

Not sure about free, cal-grant won't cover you abroad?

spoolandslide
10-05-2008, 08:31 PM
I don't know about palomar, but cuyamaca/grossmont has some study abroad programs every semester. Coming up is something in Italy, I'm waiting for a good one.

Not sure about free, cal-grant won't cover you abroad?

Yeah well I know the cal-grant wont but I should be able to get any grant in america for poor families

what i have to do is find like 10 scholarships and just use them all
thats gonna be a pain in the ass though

lucky7
10-05-2008, 08:31 PM
i just dont like the word "escaping" in the thread title. makes me feel like you're ungreatful for what we have here. take a trip to a 3rd world country and report back to us. :keke:

spoolandslide
10-05-2008, 08:40 PM
i just dont like the word "escaping" in the thread title. makes me feel like you're ungreatful for what we have here. take a trip to a 3rd world country and report back to us. :keke:

Who said I was ungrateful?

I live in a safe community, no violence, no theft, I'm on my 14th year of free education and am fortunate enough to have a beautiful home.

Thanks for jackin my thread and making me sound like punk though, I appreciate it.

I just wanna get on a plane and see what other places are like.

S13shaka
10-05-2008, 08:44 PM
look up self sustained communities, that or you get a bachelors and teach kids in other countries english

I mean really, its not friggin rocket science figuring out how to live in the jungle; everyone is so plugged into babylon that simple shit like this seems like a daunting task.

spoolandslide
10-05-2008, 08:50 PM
look up self sustained communities, that or you get a bachelors and teach kids in other countries english

I mean really, its not friggin rocket science figuring out how to live in the jungle; everyone is so plugged into babylon that simple shit like this seems like a daunting task.

I will get my bachelors, but I want to leave before then... next school year for sure.

If I teach english to people living in a jungle then I would have to learn the jungle language first sooo..... ill stick with a 1st world country.

Europe is my first pick because I can travel all around and see everything.

lucky7
10-05-2008, 09:00 PM
Who said I was ungrateful?

nobody. re-read what i typed. :bigok:

muddafakka
10-05-2008, 09:00 PM
I would advise against it, I know several people who took breaks and never went back.

Some advice on direction, figure out where your passions(not hobbies) lie, and if possible try to follow those to employment.

Say for instance I love business, I want to own my own stereo shop one day, till then I am majoring in management and marketing and tryin to get an internship with AT@T.

Stick with it, it will work out for ya:bigok:
Yeah a few people have told me that as well. I'm trying to figure out a lot of things at the moment, including whether or not college is my thing. I'm reexamining things because I didn't really get a chance to after high school. I just hopped straight into college thinking I had things figured out but now I'm realizing I don't.

I've been trying to find out what I'm good at but when college consumes your life most of the time, it makes things kinda tough.

Another part of my decision to take a break is for health reasons. I'd rather not go more in-depth than that but I do plan on seeing the doctor some time this week for some tests.

^ haha sounded so positive until i saw your avatar

Hahaha same thing I thought.

Sorry for the threadjacking. :bow:

ESmorz
10-05-2008, 09:05 PM
I heard Spool loves Bin Laden and hates Bush.

He's unpatriotic. Send him to Abu Ghraib to get tortured by people with an 80 iq.

Go find another country and stay there, you liberal fruit cake.

FTWjesse
10-05-2008, 09:20 PM
you should study abroad in mexico, i heard its basically free there.

go to school at universidad de verga (UDV for short)

spoolandslide
10-05-2008, 09:30 PM
these last two posts crack me up
:hahano: :hahano: :hahano: :hahano: :hahano: :hahano: :hahano: :hahano: :hahano: :hahano:

theicecreamdan
10-05-2008, 09:32 PM
verga 201 up, 32 down
mexican, and latinoamarican equivalent for cock, the equivalente for penis is pene, verga is much more rude and offensive, verga can be also used as a surprise exclamation generally in a worried manner, verga can also be used to reffer to someone that is exceptionally good at something, or used as a non exitant place where you send somebody kind of like telling someone to go fuck himself or to fuck off
1.mi verga es grande y peluda
my cock(verga) is big and hairy
2. John- mataron a tu perro
yo-verga!
John- they killed your dog
me-verga!!
3.pedro es una verga en el footbol
pedro is a verga playing football
4. vete a la verga manuel
go fuck yourself manuel.
or in a more similar but senseless way- go to the verga manuel

Ben G
10-05-2008, 09:38 PM
what happened to your 3 grand in government funding you had for school use that shit

spoolandslide
10-05-2008, 09:45 PM
I dont know how much money I got yet, they havent emailed me or anything.
I think it should be like 1500 though

Ben G
10-05-2008, 09:46 PM
really... still thats still a decent amount to get started

spoolandslide
10-05-2008, 09:58 PM
oh yeah that will easily carry me through the first year

i also have the govenors fee waiver soo tuition is free right now for me

Ben G
10-05-2008, 10:01 PM
dude you are pretty much set then those things dont really last that long maybe a year max so you will be back by then

spoolandslide
10-05-2008, 10:03 PM
yeah, i only wanna go somewhere for a semester or so

but i might want to go somewhere else the semester after that

Ben G
10-05-2008, 10:10 PM
im sure you can get grants or some shiz like that to cover it

spoolandslide
10-05-2008, 10:14 PM
yeah, im finding that ill also need like 10K in the bank so i will be "stable" in a foreign country

but i actually got an email from some place today

SlideWell
10-06-2008, 01:27 AM
What makes you think you can just walk in to Canada because you have a 2 year degree?

FYI a higher % of Canadians have post secondary education than Americans, so it means it's nothing special.

Granted, immigrating to Canada is easier than to many other countries, but you still need a reason to do so... You can't just enter the country and legally stay as long as you want for no good reason.

There seems to be a lot of people on this forum who have no idea how good they have it living in America. :ugh:

read the immigration details on canada's website. you can still immigrate there without a degree, but you have to be sponsored by someone there and live with them for a year if i remember correctly. this is coming from Canadians I KNOW. you simply have a higher chance of getting canada to accept you with a degree, they want people that will help build he economy there and says so in papers. about sponsorship, how you think people here and in canada get people moving over that speak no engrish? they live here and "sponsor" that person. ive beat this issue to death my friend. look/search/talk to the embassy even for yourself. i have.

FTWjesse
10-06-2008, 01:33 AM
verga 201 up, 32 down
mexican, and latinoamarican equivalent for cock, the equivalente for penis is pene, verga is much more rude and offensive, verga can be also used as a surprise exclamation generally in a worried manner, verga can also be used to reffer to someone that is exceptionally good at something, or used as a non exitant place where you send somebody kind of like telling someone to go fuck himself or to fuck off
1.mi verga es grande y peluda
my cock(verga) is big and hairy
2. John- mataron a tu perro
yo-verga!
John- they killed your dog
me-verga!!
3.pedro es una verga en el footbol
pedro is a verga playing football
4. vete a la verga manuel
go fuck yourself manuel.
or in a more similar but senseless way- go to the verga manuel

http://www.kreativekorp.com/miscpages/omgwtfbbq/roflcopter.gif

HalveBlue
10-06-2008, 06:27 AM
i was looking on the internet last night and i found that alot of colleges in europe are tuition free and the room and board is very nominal

but the question is what do i have to do to go over there?
do i have to have 2 years general ed or a Bachelors?
can i just buy a plane ticket and show up or what?

Not really. Although every country has their own rules, most will require you to obtain a visa if you plan on staying there for longer than 30-90 days. If you want to study in another country you have to get a student visa which usually only lasts for a semester or two and has to be renewed if you decide that you want to continue to study at the foreign institution.

Also, there's usually a difference in tuition for international students. For instance, secondary education is heavily subsidized for citizens in most European countries, but these rates may not apply for foreign students.

The best advice I can give you is to go to your guidance counselor and find out what you can there. Also, if you already know the country you want to study in, I would suggest contacting their embassy/consulate to get more information. Most countries that have large segments of foreign students have consular websites that explain the requirements, etc.

Good Luck!

TheWolf
10-06-2008, 08:05 AM
i'm an Eagle scout too, it's completely useless.

must be.. my friends an eagle scout.. he asked me for help in changing a radiator hose and a valve cover gasket. They must not have a "how to turn a wrench" merit badge.

spoolandslide
10-07-2008, 12:20 AM
holy jesus

I just saw zeitgeist II and I really must leave while time permits

cuddlesthesheep
10-07-2008, 12:27 AM
Join The Peace Corps

spoolandslide
10-07-2008, 12:32 AM
Join The Peace Corps

Yeah right dude, I have met some people in the Peace Corps and they were weird as fuck.

+ I don't believe in peace. :axe:

SlideWell
10-07-2008, 01:53 AM
Yeah right dude, I have met some people in the Peace Corps and they were weird as fuck.

+ I don't believe in peace. :axe:

haha, yeah, *looks are your sig* epic

spoolandslide
10-07-2008, 02:05 AM
haha, yeah, *looks are your sig* epic

wheres the rep system when you need it right? :ughd:

Has anyone had a good experience with being a currier on a flight before?

This question of mine is directly related to eurotrip and has never been answered.

kornaz
10-07-2008, 03:17 AM
Look up exchange students programs. At least that's what they call it back in Europe. I'm from Lithuania myself, and i would really recommend going to Europe to open up Your eyes, and be less "America is the best thing in the world" thing. Not saying it about the OP, but all the other people who have never been outside US. Live Your "America is greatest in the World" shit. Ugh!

SlideWell
10-07-2008, 04:04 AM
Look up exchange students programs. At least that's what they call it back in Europe. I'm from Lithuania myself, and i would really recommend going to Europe to open up Your eyes, and be less "America is the best thing in the world" thing. Not saying it about the OP, but all the other people who have never been outside US. Live Your "America is greatest in the World" shit. Ugh!

no shit! ive lived in england, been to canada and converse with many of them, along with people in Japan and Iran. its easy for the general public to think we have it so well when all of our desires are different.

spoolandslide
10-07-2008, 10:24 PM

Yeah! My thoughts exactly! :rawk:

Lets all buy a boat and have a 240 convoy across the world. Anyone with me?

imotion s14
10-08-2008, 09:40 AM

I've been overseas.. America is the best thing in the world.

90hatchie
10-08-2008, 03:47 PM
holy jesus

I just saw zeitgeist II and I really must leave while time permits

dont come back

spoolandslide
10-08-2008, 04:16 PM
dont come back

i dont plan on it :tardrim: