PDA

View Full Version : Weird clunking in the steering wheel whenever i turn it

kenversusryu
10-02-2008, 11:20 AM
I've had this weird clunking noise and it sounds like its coming from my steering wheel or beneath it somewhere. I'm not entirely sure if its from the actual wheel, shaft or the steering rack but it sounds much louder coming from beneath the steering wheel.

Whenever i'm parked and i shake or shimmy the steering wheel left and right real quick, theres a thud when i counter it back n forth.

When i drive real slow and i'm making turns, everytime im countering it'll show up.

I just had my steering rack replaced in july but i honestly dont think the sound is coming from the rack. I've also gone to a drift event and it just happened after or during the event.

Any suggestions? Thank you in advanced.

STOCK steering wheel btw. s14.

ngibson
10-02-2008, 11:29 AM
Check your front lower control arms, my roomates car did the same thing and one of the bolts was loose. Check the torque specs on that, the sway bar endlinks, your lug nuts etc.

aznrib
10-02-2008, 12:06 PM
jack the car up and grab the wheel by 3 and 9 and shake. If there is play then its your tie rods.

apex
10-02-2008, 04:53 PM
or grab the wheel at 12:01 and 6:00 if there is play its ur wheel bearing
both wheels not only one

TravisSW
10-02-2008, 05:03 PM
When that happened to me, one of my springs in the front popped out of the perch. You never know.

kenversusryu
10-02-2008, 07:02 PM
let me describe accurately how the sound pops up.

I can park, shimmy the steering wheel really quickly, left and right, does not matter how much i shimmy.. it can be a very minute tiny shimmy or a larger turns and the clunk would be there everytime i'd counter the other way.

if i'm moving slow turns, for instance and slow right turn... steering wheel is turning to the right... and then countering back to the left to straighten *CLUNK*.. same with the other way.

Now this happens at park and at low speeds. I'm sure its there at higher speeds but It's barely noticeable.

I can definitely hear it from the steering column area and feel it on the steering wheel. sometimes i can feel it in the pedals.

240KA
10-02-2008, 07:04 PM
what kind of coilovers?

awesomenick
10-03-2008, 12:37 AM
Steering rack bushings/ loose?

markyboi
10-03-2008, 01:02 AM
i have the same problems, and up to this day, i have no idea what it is...

i diagnosed it as my car having arthritis

B_mart24
10-03-2008, 01:06 AM
Im with travis, that happened to me, but it was just the spring catching around the housing.

kenversusryu
10-03-2008, 12:20 PM
what kind of coilovers?

tein flex........................

kenversusryu
10-03-2008, 12:21 PM
i have the same problems, and up to this day, i have no idea what it is...

i diagnosed it as my car having arthritis

is yours becoming more dangerous to drive? notice any freeplay or anything? Any alignment issues?

Bigsyke
10-03-2008, 12:53 PM
Lower Ball joints /thread.

kenversusryu
10-03-2008, 03:53 PM
Lower Ball joints /thread.

that would make sense. I just had those replaced same time i replaced my rack. Are you saying they are loose or needs replacing?

Bigsyke
10-03-2008, 04:16 PM
Yes, turn steering wheel, watch FLCA and ball joint. Check your strut tension rods,

When my drivers side corner is jacked up off the ground the TC rod rotates and binds like crazy.