PDA

View Full Version : problem with my power locks

240SxTYLE
01-21-2003, 01:01 AM
i've SEARCHED and i just want to make this thread to clear up some questions i have....

1. if i've lost my power locks than thats most likely my actuators or my remote? (if its my remote... ive learned how to reset that)

2. it's fairly easy to replace my actuators? (any simple directions any one can give me)

and something i couldn't find.... is it hard to install an aftermarket alarm??

thanks

gfisch
01-21-2003, 10:37 PM
well, should be pretty easy to see if its the remote. Just see if the locs work with the button in the car. If they do, its the remote. If not, you should open up the door panel and see if theres power to the actuators when you hit the button. If there is, then its probably the actuator. If not, theres gotta be a problem in the wiring of the relay somewhere.

N1ceDrgn
01-22-2003, 02:20 PM
Yeah, check out the locks without using the remote. Then I'd go through and check out the relays and the fuses. As far as an aftermarket alarm, you're best bet is to have a shop do it. That way it'll get done right, 'cleanly' and it'll help you out on insurance that way too. If it's done at home, an not professionally, most insurance companies won't give you a break. Still, if that's not a conern, getting a discount on your insurance and only peace of mind from having the alarm is, I'd still have a shop do it. It can be a long process and if it's new territory for you, it can take a LONG time.

gfisch
01-22-2003, 02:33 PM
Well, if your familiar with your car and basic electronics, its really not to bad to put in an aftermarket alarm system. I have yet to do it in my 240, but I installed one in my 200sx without too much trouble.
If you know what your doing, give it a shot. All depends on your ability.

As for insurance, my company didnt care what type or how it was installed. was just a checkbox on the form. May not be true for all companies though.

Oh, and as for the actuator, as far as I can tell they are a real pain in the ass to get to. I tried to get one out when I was parting out my last 240 and couldnt do it. But maybe theres an easier way. Doubt thats the problem though.

good luck.

Greg