PDA

View Full Version : Just Bought A 92 Fastback, Any Pointers?

ctm 92 240
09-28-2008, 10:12 PM
Ive been wanting a 240 for a long time now, and finally came accross one that I could get on payments thats in really good shape. Ill get it on friday when I take the rest of the down payment in. Got it for $2200 after tax and fees. No body damage anywhere, no rust. Only a slight bubble in the back between the taillights. They said it has a newer motor with 70k on it, 170k is on the car. Bad thing, its an auto :-/ but that can be changed later on.

Now, I dont have much hands on expierance with cars (just maitnence on my Accord), but I know the basics. First thing I want to ask is what are some common problems to look for? The motor has a slight tick in it, dealer didnt even know it did. The ignition switch is tempermental as well, the key just doesnt want to turn. Those are the only things I could find wrong with it in the hour or so I drove it.

I didnt mind the ticking in the motor, cause if its bad Ill just replace it at tax time. If its nothing major, great, Ill keep it and just turbo at tax time :)

I have a daily driver already, so this will be a project car. In the end I want a nice street car, that Ill take to a road course every once in a while. What are the first things I should be changing on the car? I was thinking suspension (andy's has a Tanabe coilover kit for $800, or just some good struts and springs), 5-lug conversion, and some bolt-ons. A nice set of wheels and tires too when I can afford to.

With the payments and insurance I wont have much money for any big stuff untill its payed off and I get my tax return. I also wanted to know what kind maitnence work I should be looking at for the miles on the car and motor.

Thanks for the help, I plan on keeping the car for a long time, so Ill be around here a lot now ;).

PICS
http://i37.tinypic.com/303fe4o.jpg
http://i38.tinypic.com/2mq88yh.jpg
http://i35.tinypic.com/2iaeerq.jpg
http://i33.tinypic.com/14ceidx.jpg
http://i38.tinypic.com/103hkcj.jpg

DriftMUH
09-28-2008, 10:27 PM
common problems that i can think of.. umm

deteriorated coolant reservoir tank
Crappy fuel injector connectors.
clearnace issues with aftermarket exhaust.. ( unless u get it custom built..)

theres alot more that i cant even think of.. but damn u bought a 240 from a dealer!?

well. at least u didnt end up paying 2.2k for a Sohc

ZipTiedCoupe
09-28-2008, 10:28 PM
DO ALL THE ROUTINE MAINTAINCE FIRST! Then worry about "modding" it.

Other then that, have fun with it!

Pictures pwease?

nismo racer
09-28-2008, 10:28 PM
PIIIICHARRRSS! and be prepared to fix a lot of things lol half the time and money i spend is keeping it running.

cc4usmc
09-28-2008, 10:29 PM
Read as many threads here as you can, and make yourself a list of shit that is broken in all the threads.

LA_phantom_240
09-28-2008, 10:30 PM
Look out for cancer (rust), AIDS (problems related to one another, making a giant clusterfuck problem), and rice. Treat the car well and it usually does the same... unless its like mine and tries to shit on you, in which case just threaten it and you're good.

theronin
09-29-2008, 01:56 AM
before you do anything. buy some 18x13 +3 wheels. wrap them in 225/45/18's then melt or cut your coils to achieve maximum drift stance. then bask in your fanboiism.

ctm 92 240
09-29-2008, 08:42 AM
O k, thanks to those that did help. I gaurantee you its not going to be "riced" or just stuff thrown on. Ive been a 240 fan for years, and will not spare cost when I can to make it right. Im not slaming it, not buying over sized wheels, no flashy lights, no park bench wings or crap kits. Id rather quality parts that help the performance, and that accent the way it looks. I think 240s are one of the best looking cars in the world from the factory and wont be changing too much to the body.

Ill post some pics on friday when I get it.

bigOdom1
09-29-2008, 08:52 AM
timing chain do it yesterday

jspaeth
09-29-2008, 09:09 AM
sell that shit

ctm 92 240
09-29-2008, 10:22 AM
timing chain do it yesterday
Even with the motor only having 70k on it?
sell that shit
:hahano:

LA_phantom_240
09-29-2008, 04:26 PM
sell that shit

And get an s14.

s13 @ fullboost
09-29-2008, 04:36 PM
Congrats S13 is the way to go if your tight on cash hehe I am on my second one and I am only 17 there addicting man. Honestly I will tell you right now you will have problems with power steering and you will have problems with Timing. Oh and also double check all your weather stripping because come rain time you will be pretty upset when your interior smells like mildew and your electrical is shorting and giving you random problems

SexPanda
09-29-2008, 04:59 PM
I never had a problem with my PS or timing chain (besides the rattle) on my 190,000mi KA24E. But then again, my car didnt have brake lights and the drivers seat is broken in two now... I sold it.

Anyhow, theres an intro thread, blah blah. Don't be gay and rice it out. s-chassis cars are getting harder and harder to find in good, even acceptable condition

s13 @ fullboost
09-29-2008, 05:02 PM
Anyhow, theres an intro thread, blah blah. Don't be gay and rice it out. s-chassis cars are getting harder and harder to find in good, even acceptable condition

So so true I agree with you on that

ctm 92 240
09-29-2008, 08:40 PM
Congrats S13 is the way to go if your tight on cash hehe I am on my second one and I am only 17 there addicting man. Honestly I will tell you right now you will have problems with power steering and you will have problems with Timing. Oh and also double check all your weather stripping because come rain time you will be pretty upset when your interior smells like mildew and your electrical is shorting and giving you random problems
That reminds me that the hatch must be leaking cause the spare tire is floating in water.
I never had a problem with my PS or timing chain (besides the rattle) on my 190,000mi KA24E. But then again, my car didnt have brake lights and the drivers seat is broken in two now... I sold it.

Thats exactly why I jumped on it when I saw it. Just couldnt pass it up.

Does anyone know if they make the Rota P45R wheels in 16s? Roads are too harsh to go with 18s, and I think they would look great on it. If not, can someone think of another rim that looks like them?

Cloud9
09-29-2008, 09:01 PM
just get a good size and offset!

LA_phantom_240
09-29-2008, 09:05 PM
That reminds me that the hatch must be leaking cause the spare tire is floating in water.

Thats exactly why I jumped on it when I saw it. Just couldnt pass it up.

Does anyone know if they make the Rota P45R wheels in 16s? Roads are too harsh to go with 18s, and I think they would look great on it. If not, can someone think of another rim that looks like them?

I'll let you in on a secret... Saying Rota on Zilvia is like yelling Voldemort in Hogwarts

ctm 92 240
09-29-2008, 09:08 PM
I'll let you in on a secret... Saying Rota on Zilvia is like yelling Voldemort in Hogwarts
lol why? I just want a decently cheap, but good quality thick 5-spoke wheel.

SexPanda
09-29-2008, 09:12 PM
lol why? I just want a decently cheap, but good quality thick 5-spoke wheel.

cough cough...

5zigen FN01RC's what you want then.

kouki.dom
09-29-2008, 09:23 PM
coolant reserve tank.
if yooh have a coolant leak. from the car. see what side its on, if its in the center change ur waterpump. bad waterpumps lead to idle problems and lots of others

LA_phantom_240
09-29-2008, 09:44 PM
cough cough...

x2. I love my FNs

ctm 92 240
09-30-2008, 09:44 AM
cough cough...

They are nice, but I like thicker spokes better. I wouldnt mind some Work Meister S1s if I could find them at a resonable price lol

For the price, Enkei EM5s in gloss black look like a good option.

ctm 92 240
10-04-2008, 05:07 PM
Added some pics to the first post.

Car seems to be running pretty good. Just did a basic tune-up (oil, oil and air filters, plugs and wires, pcv valve) filled up with premium gas and added some fuel injector cleaner so I can do e-check on monday.

The problems Ive found,

I smell gas coming from somewhere, but have no idea where. There is also some oil build up around the head area, Ill get a pic of it tomorrow when its brighter.

Also, I cant get the key out of the ignition at all. The push button just will not go in. And the passanger headlight doesnt work. Changed it for a new one, and checked the fuses and it still doesnt work.

fliprayzin240sx
10-05-2008, 01:47 PM
Your first mod on the car should be paying that shit off. Fuck spending money buying parts for it when its not even paid off. Take care of that shit first before anything else so you wont have to worry about it. Besides, $2200 is chump change...shouldnt be that hard to pay it off, why do you even have to make payments on that shit, and here you are talking about getting a turbo.

ctm 92 240
10-05-2008, 08:33 PM
Your first mod on the car should be paying that shit off. Fuck spending money buying parts for it when its not even paid off. Take care of that shit first before anything else so you wont have to worry about it. Besides, $2200 is chump change...shouldnt be that hard to pay it off, why do you even have to make payments on that shit, and here you are talking about getting a turbo.
Im not doing anything on it till tax time, other then maitnence. I should have it mostly payed off by then.
I have too much other stuff to pay for, and put all I had saved in the down payment.

bbejj123
10-05-2008, 08:43 PM
yes especially if your going to eventually take your car to the track u may want something of better quality than rota...although rota isnt a horrible rim its good for daily driving and basic driving but if u want to track it it will be good to get some quality rims... as someone said earlier 5zigen fn's are good quality and decently cheap

qwikspool
10-05-2008, 09:10 PM
DO ALL THE ROUTINE MAINTAINCE FIRST! Then worry about "modding" it.

Other then that, have fun with it!

like what he said.

clark
10-05-2008, 09:27 PM
payments on a stock 240? now i've heard everything.

WaNa-DrIft
10-05-2008, 09:54 PM
lol..well the main seal goes bad on alot of 240sx our years..mines leaking so i gotta change that..its a byatch though..watch out for the rear main seal..they tend to leak to..umm i gotta redo my oil pan too but if you have like a local shop that will let you use their lite then thats good...i do a all around inpection at every end of the month..lol I mean just check stuff like your ball joints or your cv boots(tie rod boot) and tire balance and alignment..lol and also your drive shaft bushing...if it too hard or cracked/torn then replace it or else you'll get some thumping when your car shifts

SexPanda
10-05-2008, 10:11 PM
real quick... WTF is with that spoiler? Is that off of an early (zenki lol) 4th gen mustang? Seriously? Ditch that shit please.

http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclecars/ford-mustang/images/ford-mustang-1996a.jpg

ctm 92 240
10-06-2008, 08:10 PM
lol..well the main seal goes bad on alot of 240sx our years..mines leaking so i gotta change that..its a byatch though..watch out for the rear main seal..they tend to leak to..umm i gotta redo my oil pan too but if you have like a local shop that will let you use their lite then thats good...i do a all around inpection at every end of the month..lol I mean just check stuff like your ball joints or your cv boots(tie rod boot) and tire balance and alignment..lol and also your drive shaft bushing...if it too hard or cracked/torn then replace it or else you'll get some thumping when your car shifts
I had a fuel line break today, and lost about a half a tank before I was able to patch it up. While under there I saw how damn rusty everything was. For the shape of the body, underneath is horrible. Has a blown rear shock too, and from the looks of it all the suspension will need replaced.
real quick... WTF is with that spoiler? Is that off of an early (zenki lol) 4th gen mustang? Seriously? Ditch that shit please.

http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclecars/ford-mustang/images/ford-mustang-1996a.jpg
Idk, it was just on there.