PDA

View Full Version : Riddle me this...

LA_phantom_240
09-28-2008, 07:06 PM
Can an oil pressure sender/switch randomly take a dump on you and trip the dash light with acceptable oil pressure?

In a nutshell, is my s14 about to be on its 4th KA, or could the sender be a dishonest bastard?

slider2828
09-28-2008, 07:12 PM
If the oil sender is leaking or bad or the wire is screwed. Replace and try again. Not that hard.

LA_phantom_240
09-28-2008, 07:14 PM
Yeah... too bad I didn't have any free time with the daylight today cause the motherfucker decided to shit on me at dusk lol. Mosquitos are killer right now. I'll catch a ride to work in the morning, and when I get off I'll pick up a sender, change my oil, and see how things go.

LA_phantom_240
09-28-2008, 07:56 PM
Is there any way I can check to make absolutely sure that my wire is good?

HalveBlue
09-29-2008, 07:10 AM
Yeah. Digital Multimeter.

slider2828
09-29-2008, 03:35 PM
Yah like he said ^^^ But since the sender wire is 1 wire only, you would need to put one end in the dash and the other on that wire which is 10000 million miles away from the dash lol.... Maybe you can just do the wireloom... Up to you... Hopefully the sender is busted... and not your motor.

LA_phantom_240
09-29-2008, 04:31 PM
Oh the sender is skeeting its ass off... noticed a little oil under the car, which is really unusual cause it doesn't leak, and bought a sender, new oil, and a filter. Reached my hand down to the sender to unplug it, and the entire plug was FULL of oil, and the entire motor below the sender was covered. I got a mess to clean up.

Goddamn sender.

slider2828
09-29-2008, 05:05 PM
Yup that is normal.....

projectRDM
09-29-2008, 05:23 PM
Oh the sender is skeeting its ass off... noticed a little oil under the car, which is really unusual cause it doesn't leak, and bought a sender, new oil, and a filter. Reached my hand down to the sender to unplug it, and the entire plug was FULL of oil, and the entire motor below the sender was covered. I got a mess to clean up.

Goddamn sender.

I swear you should know better. The OE sender is trash. They always leak, they always go bad, and they are useless to anyone who drives a car unless they cruise around at idle all day. To test the wire, simply ground it. If the light comes on, it's good.

Get a real gauge.

DRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY
09-29-2008, 11:16 PM
To the OP, (in regards to your 1st post) do you have an oil pressure gauge ? Is your car making an unusual sound ? Like horrible timing chain rattle/grinding ? Reason I ask is because im in the same boat. Started the car 1 day and after 2mins, heard a rattle noise and saw my oil light come on.
I guess mine works good. Just to late of a warning. lol

gotta240
09-29-2008, 11:36 PM
Buy a real oil pressure guage.

Although they shouldn't be trusted, they also shouldn't be ignored without a backup source. The check oil light came on with one of my ka's and sure enough, pump was clogged.

LA_phantom_240
09-30-2008, 06:32 AM
Buy a real oil pressure guage.

Although they shouldn't be trusted, they also shouldn't be ignored without a backup source. The check oil light came on with one of my ka's and sure enough, pump was clogged.

I will... but for the moment, a new sender will do just fine. The old one was a fuckbitch to get out, cause the socket that is made for senders didn't work, so I had to vice grip the bitch with my left hand cause my right hand has a broken finger...
To the OP, (in regards to your 1st post) do you have an oil pressure gauge ? Is your car making an unusual sound ? Like horrible timing chain rattle/grinding ? Reason I ask is because im in the same boat. Started the car 1 day and after 2mins, heard a rattle noise and saw my oil light come on.
I guess mine works good. Just to late of a warning. lol
My car ALWAYS makes an unusual sound at startup. Of course, its not timing chain noise (god knows I've had enough of that in my last 3 240's)

I'm getting a real gauge soon enough.

slider2828
09-30-2008, 09:34 AM
Yah its hard to get that thing out, but get it from below is better. Man I just read KA, wholly crap that is hard, its like in the middle of the intake mani, tough man tough..... SR is easy... Good Luck

LA_phantom_240
09-30-2008, 04:37 PM
Yah its hard to get that thing out, but get it from below is better. Man I just read KA, wholly crap that is hard, its like in the middle of the intake mani, tough man tough..... SR is easy... Good Luck

Had to get out the vise grips....

Addicted2Kouki
10-01-2008, 01:20 AM

Its actually below the intake manifold on the KA.
I had to use vice grips too.

That really was a bitch.

slider2828
10-01-2008, 04:40 PM
Yah but you guys are literally in the middle of the intake mani and that is tough. The SR is a little lowertowards or near the line for the upper oil pan. Much easier..