PDA

View Full Version : Installing clutch fan..go it on, but didn't slide on fully at 1st

s13pignose
09-28-2008, 03:44 PM
Alright 1st off I had a friend take of my clutch fan so I could see the results of not having it on (was debating on e-fans). Anyway decided to put it back on today. I remember how he took it off, so I assumed it should go on the same. After all, there are only 4 10mm nuts. So when I was sliding the fan/clutch down on the water pump studs, it slid on at an angle. Like it wouldn't fully go on. Well there was enough threads poking out on all the studs, to where I could get the 4 nuts on, and tighten it on straight. There wasn't to much binding and when there was, I turn the pump pulley and worked on tightening another nut. The more even the fan started to position, some of the previous tightened nuts would loosen.

So to make this long story short, I eventually got it flush with the pulley, even though one stud had a hair less thread of exposed thread out the other end of the nut, but not by much. Anyone ever had there fan go on like that:confused:. None of the studs look bent before putting the fan on.

drftthatshit
09-29-2008, 04:25 PM
Why would you take the fan off in the first place? know you said to see what it would do but honnestly what do you think it would do with out a fan your engine would over heat which i bet it did your just a dumbass with no clue of an engine dont come on here and ask us how to do something or how to fix you jimmy riggin

projectRDM
09-29-2008, 05:30 PM
Why would you take the fan off in the first place? know you said to see what it would do but honnestly what do you think it would do with out a fan your engine would over heat which i bet it did your just a dumbass with no clue of an engine dont come on here and ask us how to do something or how to fix you jimmy riggin

You need to shut the fuck up. Seriously. There's hundreds of people who run without a clutch fan, the car comes with an electric fan as well, and can be upgraded to an even bigger unit. True a clutch fan does move more air, but removing it will NOT cause the car to overheat unless the cooling system is shit. Instead of just assuming shit because your mom is too busy buying you car parts, get your worthless piece of shit doing some research and quit posting pointless, incorrect responses. You're wasting bandwidth, time, and people's patience.

lightsource
09-29-2008, 07:34 PM
lol ripped.

So, what happens exactly if something were to overheat? I saw a clutch fan on phase2 and had no idea what to think about it.

drftthatshit
09-29-2008, 08:21 PM
UMM. MR.rDm if you take the clutch off the fan then you cannot mount the fan to the water pump thus no cooling of the coolant in the radiator he stated that he removed the fan and just ran the engine with out it. YES THERE IS AN ELECTRIC FAN FUCK NUT, but to bad its for the condencer (A/c) and if he did not hook up a thermo switch to it or some sort of 12v source with a manual switch then he had no fan, so what i think MR.NISSAN needs to do here< yeah you^^ is go back to auto's 101 and come back when you acctually no a thing or 2 about a car and how it opperates ive been doing this for to long and no all the tricks ive been working on cars for a living when you were dribbling down your daddys leg so piss off

projectRDM
09-29-2008, 08:45 PM
UMM. MR.rDm if you take the clutch off the fan then you cannot mount the fan to the water pump thus no cooling of the coolant in the radiator he stated that he removed the fan and just ran the engine with out it. YES THERE IS AN ELECTRIC FAN FUCK NUT, but to bad its for the condencer (A/c) and if he did not hook up a thermo switch to it or some sort of 12v source with a manual switch then he had no fan, so what i think MR.NISSAN needs to do here< yeah you^^ is go back to auto's 101 and come back when you acctually no a thing or 2 about a car and how it opperates ive been doing this for to long and no all the tricks ive been working on cars for a living when you were dribbling down your daddys leg so piss off

You are by far the stupidest piece of shit I've ever come across on forums, which is a serious title.

Do us all a favor, buy an FSM. Read in it where the OE electric fan trips when coolant temperature rises. On an S13 it's 203 degrees, on S14s it's a 2speed at 203/212 degrees. removing the clutch fan does NOTHING to implement overheating on a 240SX with a properly working cooling system. NOTHING.

And your 'working on cars for a living' at the ripe age of 20 makes you what, a 4yr expert? Wow kid, I'm impressed. Maybe if you could spell, type, and punctuate better than a 3yr old we'd all be amazed at your skills. Come back when you have 20 years under your belt.

98koukile
09-29-2008, 08:57 PM
MR.NISSAN needs to do here< yeah you^^ is go back to auto's 101 and come back when you acctually no a thing or 2 about a car and how it opperates ive been doing this for to long and no all the tricks ive been working on cars for a living when you were dribbling down your daddys leg so piss off
Wow, just wow. I honestly never thought I would see a day when someone would/could tell Russ he didn't know about cars.
Now we just have to wait for someone who can do it and be right...:ddog:
Custom title Zilvia's resident dumbass?

JVD
09-29-2008, 09:05 PM
Learn how to type you ebonics speaking fuck.

I didn't even bother to read all of your posts because, at a quick glance, I noticed you typed about 75 words without using a single period.

TRUST ME when I say RDM knows waaaaaaay more than you about s-chassis. Stop running your mouth.

drftthatshit
09-29-2008, 09:15 PM
first off just cuz my age sayz im 21 what sayz i am and i know for a fact that the A/C fan will not kick on when the temp gets that high trust me i know from experiance.....^^happy ass hole..Anywho why dont you go down to your little nissan dealer dwn the street and pic up a shop manual for an 89-93 240 and tell me where it says the A/c fan will kit on when it see's that the engine is getting hot cuz i have in front of me right now and have been reading it for some time.. No wher it says the A/C fan kicks on at 203/212 degrees

s13pignose
09-29-2008, 10:15 PM
Hey dumb ass it didn't over heat so what are talking about. It always stayed with in operating range. 2nd of all you run your mouth over the net calling people dumbass. Bet you feel tough now, so hide behind that keyboard. 2nd of all I didn't ghetto rig anything... I put the fan back on, so I WOULDN'T HAVE TO WORRY about it over heating. I was simply asking if anyone ever had their fan go on at an angle. I was wondering if something mighta been off center that would later on screw something up. I thought it would slide over the studs with ease.

3rd how u got the nerve to come at projectrdm like that for trying help out, he's atleast helping. All your doing is pissing people and myself off. Tell you right now that may be fun online, but I hope you go around doing that in your day to day life. Don't wait till you login on zilvia to do it. Won't be long till it backfires.

Oh yeah know it all why don't you call it a day now, because my ELECTRIC fan for the a/c did come on when temps got to a certain range. And I didn't do anything to the wiring, it did it automatically like projectrdm said. So it looks like he knows more than you. The only thing I hope he's wrong about is the fact you work on cars for a living. I can screw my car up on my own by mistake... I don't need to pay someone to do it

japslapsilvia
09-30-2008, 08:40 AM
WOW....amazing how a simple question turns into this....where is the Rep system??

to the OP's original question, its fine i have put clutch fans on before like that, as long as all 4 nuts are tight and the fan is fully seated to the pully and the pully is seated on the water pump your good to go.

projectRDM
09-30-2008, 08:47 AM
first off just cuz my age sayz im 21 what sayz i am and i know for a fact that the A/C fan will not kick on when the temp gets that high trust me i know from experiance.....^^happy ass hole..Anywho why dont you go down to your little nissan dealer dwn the street and pic up a shop manual for an 89-93 240 and tell me where it says the A/c fan will kit on when it see's that the engine is getting hot cuz i have in front of me right now and have been reading it for some time.. No wher it says the A/C fan kicks on at 203/212 degrees

I'm still reeling in agony from trying to read that garbled fuckmess you call a paragraph, but I did notice this: No wher it says the A/C fan kicks on at 203/212 degrees

91-94 S14s have a dual position switch for the electric fan, comes on when the A/C is turned on or when the CTS reads 203 degrees.
95-98s have a dual position switch and a two speed fan, the low side comes on at 203 degrees, high side comes on at 212 or when the A/C is engaged.

So I'd consider reading something more than a Chilton's manual if you hope to do quality repair on anything. I'd also highly consider if I was you to stick a 9MM Glock in your mouth and begin firing at will. Sadly though you'd probably fail at that too.

Addicted2Kouki
09-30-2008, 11:55 AM
come on drftthatshit...
you should know better than to argue with Russ.

FYI...
I took out my clutch fan and wired up my A/C fan to use the A/C button on the climate control unit as my on/off button, while still retaining the automated on/off when it reaches a certain temp.

Never overheated.

s13boy89
09-30-2008, 12:12 PM
did you also loosen the tensioner maybe thats why it went on crooked

drftthatshit
09-30-2008, 04:33 PM
well thats what i was saying you need to wire it on some sort of switch! My a/c works just fine, e-fan kicks on the hole works. and whene i replaced the fan clutch on my 240 the system was not bleed all the way the first time so i did it again. BUT the second time i left the belt fan off to get the engine hotter. AND OH WAT DO YOU KNOW THE E_FAN DID NOT KICK ON. Its not my car either theres nothing wrong with it because i can phisically see the e-fan spinning when the A/C is on so russ if your the master on here and you have so much experiance in the feild of the nissan 240sx whats you answer i dont care who you are or what you do. I see all the comments you leave to other people! You make them feel like pices of shit like they shouldnt have bought a 240 because there not good enough or something. You are by far the most biggest cock sucker i ever meet and need to respect the desions people make.(by that i mean buying a 240). no one is perfect out of the gate. But for some reson you think everyone should be. You need to be more of a helper on here than a critisizer. And maybe you'll get further in life if you pulled the dick out of your ass, and quit being so negitive to all the nuub's on here

projectRDM
09-30-2008, 05:55 PM
well thats what i was saying you need to wire it on some sort of switch! My a/c works just fine, e-fan kicks on the hole works. and whene i replaced the fan clutch on my 240 the system was not bleed all the way the first time so i did it again. BUT the second time i left the belt fan off to get the engine hotter. AND OH WAT DO YOU KNOW THE E_FAN DID NOT KICK ON. Its not my car either theres nothing wrong with it because i can phisically see the e-fan spinning when the A/C is on so russ if your the master on here and you have so much experiance in the feild of the nissan 240sx whats you answer i dont care who you are or what you do. I see all the comments you leave to other people! You make them feel like pices of shit like they shouldnt have bought a 240 because there not good enough or something. You are by far the most biggest cock sucker i ever meet and need to respect the desions people make.(by that i mean buying a 240). no one is perfect out of the gate. But for some reson you think everyone should be. You need to be more of a helper on here than a critisizer. And maybe you'll get further in life if you pulled the dick out of your ass, and quit being so negitive to all the nuub's on here

I answer questions that are well written, researched, and need answering, which is way more than you can say being as most of your answers are wrong. I've answered TONS of questions for years on here and plenty of other forums as well as originated several writeups, found new applications for OE parts, and offered plenty of advice to hundreds of people who need it. When you were 7 years old I was buying my first 240SX brand new off the lot, my third Nissan I had owned at that point. I've had two since, ran a shop for three years working solely on 240s, and parted out over 60 salvaged 240s in the meantime. Do you really think you're a better person to listen to in this argument? Doubt it. If some fool asks: "Yo, HoWz Do eYeZ put InZ S14 SeAtzz dawGG" I call them a dumbass and flame them. They deserve it. People who can't spell, type, or speak proper grammar don't have any reason to try and communicate with those who do. You don't go to Africa and try to speak French. Look at your post above, does any part of it come off as anything but purely shitty written ebonics? You're 20 years old and have the typing skills of a 2 year old. I can't decipher half that garbled shit. How can anyone feel you're of any value when it's clear you're completely fucking stupid? I enjoy making people feel like pieces of shit if they come off as such, why would they want anything more if that's all they are? Prove that they're an intelligent human being and that's how I treat them. And as far as you meeting me, we haven't met. Wake up out of your dream land.

And about the fan, READ AN FSM. It has everything you need to know and is CORRECT. Throw away that shitass Chiltons or whatever book you're reading. If your fan didn't come on it either was bad, unplugged, or the engine didn't get hot enough. ALL DOHC chassis are wired for a dual position fan, on with A/C and overheat.
SOHC cars have a separate switch in the lower radiator hose to trigger the fan.

Keep it up, I'm dying to see what you'll say next.

s13pignose
09-30-2008, 06:05 PM
I'm not gonna drag this out any longer lol I already know how it will end. I'll just get back to the topic

projectRDM-thanks for replying and answering my pm's concerning the matter

japslapsilvia- thanks for answering my question, and aswell anyone who tried helping.
The fan is fully seated against the pulley and the pulley to the pump.

Addicted2Kouki-thats good idea how you wired up your e-fan, however you did it lol. Pretty cool

s13boy89 - thanks for the idea. No i didn't do anything to the belts, b/c my
friend didn't loosen anything when he took the fan off. Whether
your suppose to I didn't know, but I put it on like he showed me
he took it off. But that is something I will look into, because I will
be replacing all my belts soon, one of the belts looks to be
slightly twisted, like not sitting fully against one of the pulleys.