PDA

View Full Version : Resonator question

-the.k.w.c-
09-26-2008, 09:16 PM
I just finished building a whole new 3inch exhaust from the turbo elbow back, the piping is pretty straight all the way back . I used a APEXI N1 TIP/ muffler. the only thing i dont like is when im driving the exhaust is really loud lol. now i was wondering if i used a vibrant 3 inch resonator how much performance would i lose ,or what are the +'s and -'s of using a resonator to say a silencer?

S14DB
09-26-2008, 09:37 PM
Lose 1 hp if anything.
Make sure it's a perforated core not a louvered core.

The key is that it changes the resonance of the exhaust. Sort of like a sound blender. Doesn't muffle the sound but makes it easier for the muffler to do it's job. should eliminate some drone and unwanted noise.

rongfk
09-26-2008, 09:55 PM
Lose 1 hp if anything.
Make sure it's a perforated core not a louvered core.

The key is that it changes the resonance of the exhaust. Sort of like a sound blender. Doesn't muffle the sound but makes it easier for the muffler to do it's job. should eliminate some drone and unwanted noise.

^^which resonators would you suggest and roughly what do they go for($)? i have the same problem, mine seemes to get louder when warmed up.

S14DB
09-26-2008, 10:01 PM
I like the Magnaflow brand. Their packing seems to last the longest and not heat harden or rot. Summit Racing usually has the best prices.

Sound should go down as the system warms up not up. How old is the muffler?

-the.k.w.c-
09-26-2008, 10:05 PM
my muffler brand new only 6 min of use...i was loking into the vibrant performance resonator

s13pignose
09-26-2008, 10:05 PM
Which vibrant resonator are you looking at? They have the typical, which is more like a glasspack and then the "ultra quiet" or something along that name, which is of a larger size more like a oval muffler. Supposedly the ultra quiet does a better job because it's packed with more material. On my rsr I have a an oval muffler like the ex-mag but it also has a resonator similar to vibrants ultra quiet in size and shape. My exhaust is very quiet and is 3". No rasp to it what so ever. In fact since I'm having to replace it due to rust issues (used from japan) alot of people have took interest in the whole system or just the muffler and resonator by them selves. Next exhaust will be all custom...3" piping and oval muffler again, but with your typical round resonator. I feel my rsr is a lil too quiet.

But yeah definitely get perforated. Also resonator length I think plays an issue in sound when it comes to the round glasspack looking types.

Hope that helps.

S14DB
09-26-2008, 10:20 PM
my muffler brand new only 6 min of use...i was loking into the vibrant performance resonator

I was refering to rongfk as far as the age. but, yours will go down after the packing burns in.

Why you want the Vibrant? IMHO it's re-branded crap.

-the.k.w.c-
09-26-2008, 11:11 PM
well its hard as hell to find brands i want with sizes to match ....i have seen the vibrant brand many times at a local shop so its easy to get

S14DB
09-26-2008, 11:20 PM
well its hard as hell to find brands i want with sizes to match ....i have seen the vibrant brand many times at a local shop so its easy to get

MagnaFlow - summitracing.com (http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=400636)

What size you need?

-the.k.w.c-
09-27-2008, 01:46 AM
3inch.....................

-the.k.w.c-
09-27-2008, 01:55 AM
im not the tyup of guy to order stuff on line and wait for it,if i can find somthing very close in stores

MrChow
09-27-2008, 02:09 AM
I've been thinking of doing the same thing with my exhaust. I actually want it to be a bit quieter.

s13pignose
09-27-2008, 03:22 PM
They got other resonators on ebay, that are stainless and probably cheaper than vibrant if you don't mind non-name brand

S14DB
09-27-2008, 04:05 PM
They got other resonators on ebay, that are stainless and probably cheaper than vibrant if you don't mind non-name brand

Or if you don't mind it rotting or burning off it's packing in a year...

-the.k.w.c-
09-27-2008, 07:58 PM
lol. money is not the problem ......i hate waiting for parts and the fact i just spent 2 days welding a exhaust system to perfection with very few small bends

S14DB
09-27-2008, 09:15 PM
MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust - Dealer Locator (http://www.magnaflow.com/03dealer.asp)

Looks like a lot of dealers in Edmonton:
MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust - Dealer Locator (http://www.magnaflow.com/03dealer_result_x.aspx?sid=265&zip=T5H+0H7&dist=20&x=34&y=6)