PDA

View Full Version : LS2 into S14 Motor Mount/Plates

3vilmonkey!
09-11-2008, 10:06 PM
I have decided to take on this project, and have bought an s14 shell.

I am new to the world of 240s, I currently have an s2000.

Anyway, I was curious as the options of mounting this motor. I know I need pretty beefy mounts because the clearance will be pretty close but I was curious as to what everyone else has done.

Thanks!

Miles

blu808
09-11-2008, 10:07 PM
Miles. My sponsor Hinsonsupercars.com makes a complete kit. Check out there website. Let me know what parts you want. I usually have them in stock.

Luke

3vilmonkey!
09-12-2008, 12:29 AM
Awesome, how is the transmission tunnel clearance with this? Also, where can I find out about motor plates?

blu808
09-12-2008, 12:31 AM
You cant simply use motor plates. You have to mod your whole crossmember, and use custom mounts.

Everything can be found at Hinson Super Cars (http://www.hinsonsupercars.com)

Tranny clearance is fine with the t56.

3vilmonkey!
09-12-2008, 12:39 AM
Hm, so everything with that kit makes it straight bolt in? Any pictures of the contents of the kit?

blu808
09-12-2008, 12:54 AM
Did you look at the website? It has pictures.

3vilmonkey!
09-12-2008, 01:03 AM
Yeah, maybe I just can't navigate the site properly but I cant find the pictures lol.

91SuperS13
09-12-2008, 02:08 AM
the kit from hinson, plus radiator kit, clutch kit, custom exhaust and LS motor with ecu and tranny is gonna run you around $8500-$9000. I know because I was going that route earlier this spring until I tallied up all the seperate costs.

The difference in cost is gonna be in how much u spend on the motor/ecu/tranny. There is a company in PA that sells used LS motors with tranny and all accessories (PS, AC, wire harness, etc.) with a 6 month warranty. They have an ebay store (can't remember the name of it right now).

shmiddy
09-12-2008, 06:17 AM
You cant simply use motor plates. You have to mod your whole crossmember, and use custom mounts.

Everything can be found at Hinson Super Cars (http://www.hinsonsupercars.com)

Tranny clearance is fine with the t56.

dude thats a nice little package you got their!! and its not expensive at all!!!! looks like in doing the v8 monster in my next 240!!!!

now where do i find a ls1 lol

twistedsymphony
09-12-2008, 06:28 AM
There are other companies that make swap kits, hinson was the first IIRC and they know what their doing but the other kits are quality too and offer slightly different positions and mounting techniques, enough that it's worth shopping around.

checkout:
PXRacing : Home (http://shop.pxracing.com/main.sc)
Daft Innovations (http://www.daftinnovations.com/s13ls1/index.html) (says s13 only but they do an s14 kit too)
LS1 into S14 240sx :: Sikky Manufacturing (http://sikky.com/products/mount_kits/nissan_mounts/ls1__s14_240sx)

Also checkout silviav8forums.com :: Index (http://silviav8.com) a whole forum dedicated to throwing V8s in S-chassis

this guide is good too, though I'm a bit bias :p : silviav8forums.com :: Log in (http://www.silviav8forums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=723)

The daft innovations kit gives you the most bang for your buck you get mounts, headers, driveshaft, power steering lines, pretty much everything sort of optional parts like AC conversion lines for $1600. (no core charge on the cross member either)

Sikky's kit is probably the most well built, all of the other kits on the market use the GTO oil pan and cut a notch in the lower cross member, skikky's kit gives you a custom oil pan so you can use an unmodified cross member. I've even heard the reps from the other kit makers state (here on zilvia no less) "if you want to build a race car, use the Sikky kit".

I've talked to all of the kit makers and the tech at PX Racing is probably the most friendly and helpful, the other ones are good too but PX Racing just sticks out in my mind for this. I don't know anyone who has used their kit directly but I know a lot of people have raved about their harness and reflash service, and they're also really good for their odds and ends like power steering lines, ac conversion lines, etc.

I'm getting ready to do this swap myself I've got an LS1 out of a 99 vette, I plan on starting early next month, Sikky was my #1 choice for a while but Daft Innovations is finalizing their S14 kit so I'm waiting to see how that one looks before I drop the cash.

As for finding an LS1 check craigslist, and ebay, kit up some local junk yards and see if they can source you one. and http://ls1tech.com/forums/ is good too.

Sir
09-12-2008, 11:04 AM
mounts are easy if you got a welder.

Headers are expensive.
Daft has mild steel ones for 650
Hinson has stainless for 850?

I shopped around and will have stainless 304 headers and dual exhaust for less than price of Daft ones. But having a TIG welder and friend with skills to fab it up from scratch helps to lower the cost.

DSS for driveshaft. Check out the Advertising section for a good discount.

3vilmonkey!
09-12-2008, 07:26 PM
Sweet, a lot of good info! Also, I am planning an LS2 swap, so an LS1 kit will be just fine? Excuse my lack of knowledge here I'm new to this area.

twistedsymphony
09-12-2008, 11:00 PM
yeah LS1, 2, 3, 6, 7 are all essentially the same from the installation perspective.

most people go with an engine and trans out of an F-body for these reasons
-shifter ends up in proper location
-uses a cable based throttle
-alternator, AC and other accessories are in locations that fit will in the s-chassis

an LS2 out of a GTO will have a drive-by-wire throttle so that will either need to be swapped out for a cable throttle or the car converted to drive-by-wire also the shifting assembly will need to be modified or swapped out for one from an f-body if you want good fitment with the shifter in the stock location.

I'm not sure about the accessories but I don't think they're an issue.

One good thing about the LS2 is that the GTO oil pan is optimal for an S-chassis swap.

There's a guy here (and on silviav8) called RuthlessDET that is nearly finished his swap of an LS2 into an S14, so he'd be a good guy to talk to. I think he built his own "kit".

ZenkiCam
09-12-2008, 11:21 PM
my local shop just finished thier ls2 swap here recently. the vid on youtube dont do it justice... it sounds soooo much beastlier in person...

YouTube - V8 240SX LETHAL INJECTION LS2 S14 START UP (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSu6l2-YC5k)

mmdb
09-13-2008, 01:50 AM
In my opinion, sikky would be the ideal way to go. You can use the stock sway bar, there isn't any sort of transmission tunnel or fire wall massaging involved according to their website. This also means that the engine sits lower and possibly further back; which will change how the car rotates (better). A drawback I've heard is that the oil pan sits very low to the ground. I don't think this should be too much of an issue because the pan hangs over the x-member, which should allow it to climb over bumps as the wheels come in contact with them, but nevertheless it's a concern if you slam your ride.

I did see pxr's kit in person and met the owner. He's very helpful and very supportive. Installing AC looks straight forward. His kit does require minor massaging of the transmission tunnel, possibly the firewall, but overall it's a well put together kit. A draw back, which I'm having as well, is the sway bar. The kit uses a GTO oil pan which is in the way of the sway bar. I spoke with the owner and he's going to see if he can come up with a solution. *Fingers crossed*. The owner also mentioned you can use existing headers, I believe it was from a corvette because the headers are stainless steel rather than cast (correct me if I'm wrong), so you can save some money there rather than going for a full out custom piece.

I've read some reviews on Hinson's kit, but they're not very good. Do a search on freshalloy and also on LS1tech.

I went with a custom approach and had a shop do the install for me, but if I could do it again I'd go for the Sikky kit. Good luck! You've just opened a can of worms not only with power, but with handling. Enjoy! :D

3vilmonkey!
09-14-2008, 12:08 AM
What all would I need if I did the Thunder Racing Motor Plates up front? I could then get/fab the modified cross member, tranny mounts and... thats it right? (For mounting)

Teambadrun
09-14-2008, 01:39 AM
Great engines for response, but i think if your drifting you should stick with spending all that money into your SR20.

My mate has had a Ls1 in his S13 for 2-3 years now.. blown up 3 of them and moved onto LS2 and it seems to be much better for now..

It's all custom modified stuff here, but in the states do the "mod plates" still require cutting the chasis firewall so the engine/box fits???

3vilmonkey!
09-18-2008, 02:25 AM
bump for my question :)

twistex
09-18-2008, 02:36 AM
What all would I need if I did the Thunder Racing Motor Plates up front? I could then get/fab the modified cross member, tranny mounts and... thats it right? (For mounting)

I used speedwaymotors.com ls1 adapter plates and gm poly motor mounts. you can build your mounts off a rb20 r32 crossmember pretty easy. You can use the gm trans mount and build a tranny crossmember from flat bar 3/8 thick is what I use. 1.5 inch wide. Use a gto front sump oil pan.. you will need to notch your crossmember. look on silviav8forums and ls1tech you will find everything you need to do swap. You can buy headers from hinson or Daft Innovations and build your kit around that. Or you can run c5 shorty headers and mod them. Good luck with swap you will enjoy it:)

The stock sway bar will fit if you flip it upside down and run a 1/2inch spacer under swap bar bushing. :) The sikky kit is about the same mounting location as the daft innovation kit. There motor is mounted a tad lower because of the custom oil pan.

Sir
09-18-2008, 12:12 PM
My mate has had a Ls1 in his S13 for 2-3 years now.. blown up 3 of them and moved onto LS2 and it seems to be much better for now..
Probably doing something wrong if he keeps blowing through them.

It's all custom modified stuff here, but in the states do the "mod plates" still require cutting the chasis firewall so the engine/box fits???
no firewall cutting needed in any of the kits. Since GTO pan is easiest route, modifying the front cross member (or using RB one) seems to be the norm.