PDA

View Full Version : taking off exhaust manifold

Brolewigi
09-11-2008, 10:19 AM
I am putting on the a new downpipe, studs for the downpipe to the turbo, new turbo lines on my SR and I thought it would be easier to take off the exhaust manifold and work on all of that outside of the car.

I have all of the bolts off except for the two that are underneath the exhaust manifold in the center.

Any suggestions for getting them off. It was getting too late last night and I didn't want to start those two so late last night.

Thanks

bigOdom1
09-11-2008, 10:20 AM
im confused do you need help, sounds like you got it covered use the correct socket and you should be ok

SHIFT_*grind*
09-11-2008, 10:21 AM
14mm combination wrench......and that's it. Seriously. If it's really stuck on there you can spray some WD40 on the nut, maybe slip something over the end of the wrench for extra leverage or tap it with a hammer, but it's not hard to get to.

jspaeth
09-11-2008, 12:54 PM
I am putting on the a new downpipe, studs for the downpipe to the turbo, new turbo lines on my SR and I thought it would be easier to take off the exhaust manifold and work on all of that outside of the car.

I have all of the bolts off except for the two that are underneath the exhaust manifold in the center.

Any suggestions for getting them off. It was getting too late last night and I didn't want to start those two so late last night.

Thanks

So you are having trouble with the 2 exhaust mani stud in the center on the bottom row?

IIRC, I used a closed-end wrench on those, making tiny (like 1/32nd of a turn at a time) turns

shmiddy
09-11-2008, 01:01 PM
use a wrench. do it from under the manifold

SHIFT_*grind*
09-11-2008, 01:17 PM
I just did my manifold 2 weeks ago, you can even get to those nuts pretty easily from the top.

jspaeth
09-11-2008, 01:21 PM
I just did my manifold 2 weeks ago, you can even get to those nuts pretty easily from the top.

Yep closed end wrench from the top in between the runners bingo

Brolewigi
09-11-2008, 05:13 PM
Yeah, I've been trying it from the bottom and the dip stick keeps getting in the way. I have a stubby wrench and I can't put enough torque on it to loosten it. I can not get the wrench in from the top, it won't go on there correctly. The nut isn't clocked quite right. I'll keep trying. Thanks!

SHIFT_*grind*
09-11-2008, 08:06 PM
I can not get the wrench in from the top, it won't go on there correctly. The nut isn't clocked quite right.

Keep trying; I don't see how it couldn't be clocked the right way, when I took those 2 nuts off a couple weeks ago there was plenty of angle to turn the closed wrench end around. Not the open end.

Brolewigi
09-11-2008, 08:16 PM
Thanks Grind, the closed end wrench worked like a charm. It just took a little bit to get it on the bastard...

Thanks a lot guys!

s15specR
09-12-2008, 08:59 AM
use a wrench. do it from under the manifold

From the top with a combi wrench, 14mm

aa87
09-12-2008, 09:21 AM
I always used a bunch of swivel heads and extensions. Got every bolt off using the magic combos. Stock manifolds are too easy.

azndoc
09-12-2008, 11:08 AM
Shit I can't remember when I took off my stock manifold.

But I've taken off my aftermarket ones like 6 fucking times now.

Flex head wrench is what I use. Then I got the lock flex head ones and that's even better.