PDA

View Full Version : darn thing wont RUN! cooling?

wren240sx
01-14-2003, 07:52 AM
is there anyway to keep my engine running like it is when i just start it? after 15 miinutes of running it slacks off . would a lower temp thermostat help? please help

uiuc240
01-14-2003, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by wren240sx
after 15 miinutes of running it slacks off .

could you be a bit more descriptive? how obvious is the change in performance? all engines get "slower"' as you let them heat up...all the parts heat soak, intake temps go up, and they go slower. but if it's NOTICEABLY different (like you dropped a cylinder or something ;)) perhaps you *are* overheating, or something in the electrical system is awry. Are you getting any fault codes? Give us more info, bro.

Eric

wren240sx
01-14-2003, 08:28 AM
the difference is extremely noticeable. normally ill run through 1st and 2nd gear like theyre nothing. but after it runs for a while 2nd gear takes forever. ive actually broken a spark plug wire before and had to run to get needle nose pliers to get it out and ran on 3 and i went faster then when it heats up and runs slow

uiuc240
01-14-2003, 09:12 AM
You should be getting fault codes...check your ECU. We'll start there and then check other stuff. Have you done all your maintenance items like fuel filter, air filter, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, etc.....

Eric

wren240sx
01-14-2003, 09:17 AM
ive done everything u said except for the fuel filter. i got a 170degree thermostat still needing to be installed would that fix the problem? could you tell me where the thermostat housing is. i cant seem to find it

S13Grl
01-14-2003, 09:56 AM
how low is it, be more descriptive about rpms. 2nd gear is the longest on most cars to optimize performance.

S13Grl
01-14-2003, 09:58 AM
P.S. Tech q's belong in tech. Making two topics is bs and against the forum rules.

uiuc240
01-14-2003, 10:03 AM
I haven't worked on a DOHC KA before, so I'm not sure where it is...but you should be able to find it by following the top radiator hose back to the engine block. Take off that fitting and the thermostat should be there.

Eric

wren240sx
01-14-2003, 10:18 AM
sorry about that. wont do it again. i cant really describe the rpms but normally my car pulls really smoothly through 2nd gear but when it heats up second gear takes twice as long as it normally does. i think i need a new thermostat and i got a 170 degree and the gasket i just cant find the housing for it. the hose to the block from the radiator is really short. and theres another one at the bottom of the radiator goin into the block too but i cant really get to it.

uiuc240
01-14-2003, 10:27 AM
do what you have to and get at the point where the top one connects to the block. undo the clamp, take it off, and then remove the thermostat housing. oh, coolant will go everywhere so get a pan. remove and replace thermostat. replace hose and other parts you removed. refill with new coolant/water and be sure to burp the system with the little burp screw (don't know where it is on the DOHC motor...could be on the thermostat housing). there you go. you're welcome ;)

Eric

HippoSleek
01-14-2003, 10:40 AM
I hate to jump into a post that makes no sense... but is the car actually getting hot?

1) IIRC, the correct therm for a KA is a 160 degree (I might be wrong here). Did you buy an OEM replacement or did you decided you needed a different range?

2) Even w/ a fully stuck therm, my DOHC KA pulled through the gears just fine (even when ice cold).

3) If there is a problem that is sufficiently large that the car goes into "safe-mode" and reduced power, you will get a CEL (check engine light).

4) I've never heard of a car in safe-mode not revving as quickly - but instead stopping at a certain RPM range.

wren240sx
01-14-2003, 11:18 AM
theres a little screw right where it connects to the block from the radiator. is that the "burp" screw? how do i burp it?

uiuc240
01-14-2003, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by wren240sx
theres a little screw right where it connects to the block from the radiator. is that the "burp" screw? how do i burp it?

you open that to release air pressure in the system when refilling. open, fill, close, start car, run for a bit, shut off, open rad cap, open burp screw, fill, etc. make sense?

Eric

wren240sx
01-14-2003, 04:05 PM
yup

MyFirst240SX
01-14-2003, 09:57 PM
the fuel filter might also be a big part too..... or the PCVsp* vavle