PDA

View Full Version : Checked my spark plugs...HELP!

THX1138
01-12-2003, 10:42 PM
After doing a few other minor things to keep SeXy Sadie happy, I decided to check the plugs Saturday afternoon. The plugs in #1 and #4 cylinders both looked good, no oil but maybe slightly rich. No surprise there. I wasn't so lucky with #2 and 3, however.

Both plugs had a small pool of oil around them, and I was unable to remove either one of them. #2 simply wouldn't budge, almost like it was jammed; on #3, the boot on the end of the plug wire detached from the wire and stayed stuck on the plug.

So I've got three questions. First, what would cause a pool of oil on top of the #2 and #3 plugs, and what's a good strategy for cleaning it out to facilitate removal?

Second question, what's the safest way to remove the seemingly-stuck #2 plug without damaging the threads in the head?

And third, does anyone know a brand of plug wire whose lower boots are securely attached to the plastic pipe? This is the second time this had happened to me; before, I had to cut the boot with an X-Acto knife and pull it out with needlenose pliers. Not fun.

The engine has been running fine, and the oil level is good. Any ideas?

Jeff240sx
01-12-2003, 10:52 PM
The pool of oil could (and probably is) be caused by the valve cover gasket. It is a double gasket, with one for the valve cover, and one for the spark plugs.
Getting out the seized plug is different. I don't quite know what to do. Also.. have you tried OEM plug wires? If not, go with quality, like Magnecor.
-Jeff

ItzGenX
01-12-2003, 11:01 PM
No comment on the stuck plug there and good luck with that, but the oil gets there from the O-ring gaskets under the valve cover.

mrmephistopheles
01-13-2003, 12:51 AM
Just back that plug out of there. At this point, the damage is done. Just see if you can thread a new one in normally or what.

THX1138
01-13-2003, 07:45 AM
Okay, I think I can handle the valve cover gasket replacement. I'd been looking for an excuse to pull it and polish the cover anyway.

Next question: Is it physically possible to remove the valve cover without removing the stuck spark plug?

zxtasy
01-13-2003, 10:52 AM
Yes, you can remove the valve cover without removing the stuck spark plug. When you install your new plug wires make sure to put a little dielectic (sp) grease on the inside of the boot to keep them from getting stuck to the plug. Most high end wires including my MSD wires come with a little tube.