PDA

View Full Version : Check out this deal on brakes.

graphikg04
01-12-2003, 04:14 PM
This guy is willing to sell me some brakes for my S14. It is a full front brake conversion with R32 Skyline rotors, they are not cross drilled or slotted. 300zx calipers, with new pads, and styainless steel lines. This whole deal is offered to me at $450. Does this seem like a good deal? I dont know, because the brakes are used. But they are $100 cheaper then Z32 brand new brakes. So tell me what you guys think. PEACE

graphikG

Jeff240sx
01-12-2003, 05:33 PM
I did my swap for like $500 with new/rebuilt parts...
Also, you'd need to make sure that the stainless steel lines are conversion lines, because stock 240sx lines (even upgraded stainless lines) wont fit the 300zx calipers.
-Jeff

graphikg04
01-12-2003, 10:30 PM
Thank you Jeff, for the info. So, should I get 300Z stainless steel lines? Will those lines fit with the 240? And what upgrade did you get? The guy said that the upgrade I will buy will be also rebuilt and all that. So do you think the deal that I am getting is good or not? Thanks. PEACE

graphikG

Jeff240sx
01-12-2003, 10:45 PM
No, don't buy 300zx lines. You will need special conversion lines (I only know of PDM-racing.com selling them, but others do too) and they convert from a banjo fitting to a flare fitting for the new calipers, while still hooking up to the 240sx. They are $90 or so.
It seems to be a decent price. Are you gonna need to buy the 300zx hardware kit? That will be shims and pins to hold the pads into the caliper. If not... I think you could get a better deal.
$200 for calipers (rebuilt), $140 for cross-drilled or slotted rotors, $90 for the conversion lines, $60 for pads, $55 for the hardware kit... and you're done. That comes out to $545 for your choice of stuff (rotors and pads).
-Jeff

graphikg04
01-13-2003, 01:27 AM
Hey, everything you said is what this guy is getting. He is getting the Russel's or Earl's lines so it can hold the calipers for the conversion. He is also getting the pins and shims too. So I guess I am getting the whole deal. Pins, shims, Z32 rotors, Z32 calipers (both rebuilt), lines from PDM racing, new pads, and I guess that is it. But he basically said that this kit will fit directly into my car, and he has set it up in such a way that it will be easier to install. And the price he is giving me is $450. So now what do you think? Should I take it? PEACE

graphikG

adey
01-13-2003, 01:55 AM
are the R32 discs new or used? how much life do they (and pads) have left? if they need immediate (or will need) replacement (soon) then you should take pad and rotor costs into account as well.

graphikg04
01-13-2003, 10:56 PM
Pads are new. Lines, new. Rotors and calipers are rebuilt. And by the sound of it, I think that these brakes will last me well. PEACE

graphikG

Tubed4evr
01-14-2003, 12:00 AM
How do you rebuild rotors?

Don't mean to be snotty, just want to make sure you know what your getting and the potential problems you could face.

graphikg04
01-14-2003, 10:11 AM
Well, rotors are rebuilt through that machine that shave off te top of the rotor. It cleans the top layer by shaving it off. Then it is like brand new. I think its like that, I have seen it been done before. Unless anybody else knows how it is REALLY done. PEACE

graphikG

240sxspeedracer1
01-14-2003, 10:47 AM
yeah, that is called resurfacing the rotor.
Haven't really heard people recommending that process, but I don't want to quote anybody without knowing first hand so I'll leave it like that.

negular
01-14-2003, 10:53 AM
Its ok to resurface, as long as its within spec, I know auto parts stores wont resurface a rotor that wont be within thickness spec since they would be liable if something happend.

boosteds14
01-14-2003, 01:02 PM
haha, i got you all beat. j/k

i got my conversion for 300 from Chris may

graphikg04
01-14-2003, 08:03 PM
DAYAMN! Is there any way I can get brakes that cheap? LOL

graphikG

gmgs14
01-14-2003, 09:08 PM
a little OT, but I'm doing my swap next week and I'm using stock rotors. What can I do to the rotors to stop rust? I heard of something you spray on them but I forgot what it is.

mbmbmb23
01-14-2003, 09:58 PM
Just make sure that these calipers will not rub your wheels once installed (S14 5 lug OEM's shouldnt rub). The R32 rotors (from what I remember) are the exact same as the 30mm 300zx rotors....so dont be dazzled by the "R32" in this offer. The price seems decent...but remember that if you peice this together by yourself ....over time....you can do it for cheaper..and pick your components. If this guy will help you install them (which it shouldnt be too hard) I would buy them from him and let him goto work.

To stop the rust on the rotors...they usually electromagnetically plate them...but......in your case I would just hit them with sand paper....get them to bare metal (no rust or grime) and hit them with some high temperature black paint...or clear gloss (that is if they make high temperature clear gloss).

-m

graphikg04
01-15-2003, 04:29 PM
Ya, mbmbmb23. You are right, A while ago I did figure out that the R32 brakes are the same as the Z32's. But its all good, because the R32 is quite heavy, and it is also fast, and I am sure it can handle my car, even with the power of an SR engine. So, you really think this is a good deal then huh? OK then I will take your word for it. Also, the guy cannot install it for me, but he has the calipers on the rotors, and he has the lines connected to the calipers already. So, all I have to do is basically slide on the rotors, and cannoct the lines to the car, then bleed the lines. I dont know how to do that but I am sure I will eventually find somebody to help me. If anyone lives in SoCal that is willing to volunteer to help me. It will be very much appreciated. Thanks, and PEACE

graphikG