PDA

View Full Version : Piggyback with Tuned ECU

heychris
09-02-2008, 09:34 PM
I did a search, not alot of luck..

So my question is:
Has anyone here used a piggyback (like the emanage) IN CONJUCTION with a tuned ecu (ala enthalpy-jwt)?

I'm asking because I'd like some degree of spark control which the SAFC's, profecs etc don't allow for, but don't feel I'm ready for the full standalone ish.... Or am I just being dumb...This is for a KA-T.
TIA
CH

ocn
09-02-2008, 09:48 PM
mmmm spark control.. you mean fuel control? (safc) i have a tuned blitz ecu with apexi safc that works fine with tuning my fuel thru outmy rpm range.. alot of people on here are probly gonna tell you go with the stand alone... which is cool but do what you want. the stand alone is for real in depth tuning which is good to have if you want to have your car tuned professionally or you can try yourself.. you cant fuck shit up as bad with a piggy back its like a plug n play you can easily fix it. i plan on getting a standalone soon so i can fine tune my motor.

heychris
09-02-2008, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the reply...but lemme clarify...

Since I'm new to ecu tuning, I'd like to have the low degree of difficulty of a tuned ecu, but I'd also like to be able to control fuel (rich-lean) and spark (advance and retard) for different levels of boost.

Hope that helps
CH

punxva
09-03-2008, 08:20 AM
yes and no, seeing as the safc only controls fuel... not spark, unless your running a msd btm or something similar, which would be pointless if you have a tuned ecu. i'm running an enthalpy ecu and safc with a wideband. since most tuned ecus are made to not blow up your motor, aka on the richer side, i used the wideband and safc to lean it out a little bit and make a few more hp.

SilviaSR20DET
09-03-2008, 11:03 AM
Nistune or Calum RT/Sult would be your best bang for the buck, im using them when i finish gathering my ka-t stuff. Kat.org has tons of info on those real time ecu's that you can learn from.

lok
09-03-2008, 11:46 AM
you cant fuck shit up as bad with a piggy back its like a plug n play you can easily fix it. i plan on getting a standalone soon so i can fine tune my motor.

yeah, just dont use a map trace and find out where you are in your timing map.

heychris
09-04-2008, 04:52 PM
yeah, just dont use a map trace and find out where you are in your timing map.

Exactly why I'm interested in the being able to change timing without having to do so manually at the distributor...I have looked at the Nistune and Calum product but being so new to tuning I feel like I could really F shit up with that..Which is kinda what I'm trying to avoid..
Cheers;
CH

eclipse_dsm
03-19-2009, 05:06 PM
I'm running an Enthalpy Rom Tuned ECU with SAFC1 for Fine tuning on my KA24DET for 3 yrs now. For more control like timing and/or spark then you definitely need to go to the standalone setup. Nistune and Megasquirt are something that you might consider looking into as an alternate. good luck!