PDA

View Full Version : couple questions about removing Auto Tranny for SR

UcanTry
08-29-2008, 08:21 AM
I have acouple questions about removing a Auto trany form a sr. I removed all the bolts in the bell housing, but do I need to remove the torque converter? Also to remove the pilot bushing from the auto trany do I need a special tool? Thanks for any help.

Sileighty_85
08-29-2008, 09:26 AM
What are you trying to do?
5 sp swap?

If so then yes you have to remove the tourqe converter and get a flywheel and clutch kit for the 5 speed.

and Yes the Piolt bearing is differnt so you have to change that out and easy trick is to back the inside of the P/B and find a meatal rod or something to the closet inside diameter of the bearing and push it through it

UcanTry
08-29-2008, 09:49 AM
What are you trying to do?
5 sp swap?

If so then yes you have to remove the tourqe converter and get a flywheel and clutch kit for the 5 speed.

and Yes the Piolt bearing is differnt so you have to change that out and easy trick is to back the inside of the P/B and find a meatal rod or something to the closet inside diameter of the bearing and push it through it

Im tring to remove a auto trany, I already have the manual trany with the clutch flywheel etc.....but im just tring to get the auto off the motor.....

i did talk to someone locally and they said the torque converter comes off with the trany and i did not need a special tool to remove the pilot bushing, so i guess we will see

koukimonster139
08-29-2008, 09:56 AM
yea theres an adapter for the pilot bushing for autos that manual doesnt use

you will more than likely need a special tool which can be rented from autozone

UcanTry
08-29-2008, 10:23 AM
yea theres an adapter for the pilot bushing for autos that manual doesnt use

you will more than likely need a special tool which can be rented from autozone

yea i just found that out, i called autozone its 30.00 to rent it......thanks for your help man

Pblesh85
08-30-2008, 10:20 AM
I have acouple questions about removing a Auto trany form a sr. I removed all the bolts in the bell housing, but do I need to remove the torque converter? Also to remove the pilot bushing from the auto trany do I need a special tool? Thanks for any help.

I JUST did the same swap you are doing.

To remove the tranny there are bolts that hold the torque converter to the flex plate(5 or 6). Do you know how to remove them ?

I have a few tips if you want, just pm me if you hit a speed bump.