PDA

View Full Version : Ping: people with 4 point harnesses

transient
11-30-2001, 11:21 PM
Ok, so i'm sick of being thrown into the passenger's seat when I'm driving (exageration), and i've decided to get a racing seat and 4 point harness; again, no-time soon, but I like to be prepared.

So as far as 4-points go... how do you fasten them, and is one better than another, or are they basically all the same? Also, has anyone found it a pain not being able to move forward while driving, ie to look for oncoming traffic or to change stations, etc.

thewholefnshow
12-01-2001, 06:10 AM
I know that I won't cause here they are illegal.. I am pretty sure they are in the states too... reason being that if you roll over or something you cannot roll out of the seat belt. I know lots of guys with corbeau and momo seats that have a regular seatbelt because they don't need the hassle of the cops puling them over for a warning... an invitation to look at the rest of the car. I would check local laws or use em' only at the track.

DSC
12-01-2001, 12:06 PM
Can you use a 4 point harness with the stock s14 leather seats? I'll probably never get them, just wondering.

transient
12-01-2001, 01:40 PM
Well, there are some cars that come stock with 4-points, so I doubt they're illegal, plus I know at least one person around here has them.

HippoSleek
12-02-2001, 09:28 AM
I side with the no harness unless you have a roll cage/bar group.  I was actually present at a lapping day where a guy was extricated from a Mustang b/c his harness held him in on a flip.  Not cool.

If you have an s13, upgrade to s14 seats or if you really thing you need it, get an aftermarket racing seat.  There is also a seat belt trick (turn it b/f fastening, lock it, then scoot your seat forward into the belt) which also only works if you have manual belts.

nismo270r
12-02-2001, 11:30 AM
Transient...what cars come stock with 4-point harnesses? I've never seen one...due to the fact without a cage or bar group, you can be crushed if you roll the car. And I've not seen many cars come with a factory roll cage, besides Volvo's system, but that's not exactly a roll cage.  A 4-point can be used on a stock seat whether it be leather or cloth. I don't see why you can't have a racing seat and 4-point harness, so long as you just wear your standard belt while daily driving, and have the 4 point just hanging. I know people that do that around here...

(Edited by nismo270r at 1:31 pm on Dec. 2, 2001)

transient
12-02-2001, 11:49 AM
That's what i'd be doing. A 4-point would be annoying for daily driving. U guys think a racing seat would be enough to keep me in place though? If that's the case, then the heck with the 4-point. As far as cars coming stock with 4-points, I thought the viper did, but maybe i'm wrong.

(Edited by transient at 6:50 am on Dec. 2, 2001)

nismo270r
12-02-2001, 12:36 PM
Hmm...I dunno if it came with them or not...Maybe seats that were "4-point harness ready" like the R34 GT-R...Where the seat has the slots for 4-points, but I don't think a manufacturer would put a harness in their car, because they know there would most  likely be a lawsuit down the road regarding them...

mistert
12-02-2001, 01:01 PM
actually yes, one of the vipers DID come with a 4-point. it was the..AT10 models they came out with a couple years back, the ones that basically had some factory boltons, were about 175lb lighter, and had some nice racing seats inside, wheels, just a nice package. I'm pretty sure its legal to have a 4 or 5 point harness

my240likenoother
12-03-2001, 07:21 PM
i looked at this topic last night and have had no trouble with falling out of my seat intel tonight. i got my car to drift on dry pavment for the first time and when it started to straten out it wiped me into my door i always wear my belt and it just let go and tossed me into the door
i have been driven my car real hard the past week i have no tiers left on the rear

im thinking about new seats and 4 point harness

(Edited by my240likenoother at 10:23 pm on Dec. 3, 2001)

transient
12-03-2001, 07:33 PM
Well, i'm going to get a racing seat first. If that's not enough i'll think about a 4-point again.

12-04-2001, 12:39 AM
I use a aftermarket seat in my s14, w/o a raciing harness.  I have to say that it does keep you snug in the seat during hard cornering.  Gave me a better feeling of the handling of the car, you don't get thrown around as you would w/ stock seats.