PDA

View Full Version : Well Im stupid, Hooked up jumper cables backwards. DOH!!

Tearlessj
08-27-2008, 04:36 PM
I was doing a Walbro fuel pump on my car (SR). When everything was hooked up, I tried to jump the car. But being my dumbass self I reversed the power cables and tried to crank it a few times. Now my car wont start and only cranks. I do not get any spark. I already replace the Alt. fuse. Any ideas?

Sileighty_85
08-27-2008, 05:01 PM
Look for fried gounds

I know there is an important one under the fuse box in the engine bay

pbcstylez
08-27-2008, 05:03 PM
check all your fuses, u fried more than one thas for sure what else is not working electronically?

bo2o
08-27-2008, 05:04 PM
you already replaced your grey fuse?

do you even hear you pump running?
and no spark? meng you might of toasted your ecu.

kuruptR
08-27-2008, 05:21 PM
iv blown 75a fuses a few times.. you can tell if its gone is if the fuel pump goes, but the clock on your dash doesnt work.

rps13drift
08-27-2008, 05:25 PM
I would check your ecu dude! Make sure it lights up in the on position

Tearlessj
08-27-2008, 05:35 PM
Yea the ECU lights up in the on position just fine. The fuel pump is working, I know because I unhooked the line and it shot gas all in my eye. I checked all the fuses near the battery and they seem to be fine.

landins13
08-27-2008, 05:36 PM
check your ignitor ,if you jumped have no power no spark its the ignitor or ecu, its almost impossible for you to fry every coil at once so you either damaged your ignitor or ecu

Tearlessj
08-27-2008, 07:28 PM
Ughhhhhhhhhh, I hope its not the ECU. I was borrowing it from somebody. SHIT!

singlecamslam
08-27-2008, 07:33 PM
uh oh, borrowing shit sucks. Hmmm so the only thing is its not getting spark? Maybe a relay is fried too... I would try to borrow another ecu and check.

aNskY
08-27-2008, 07:36 PM
check your ignitor

win.

do it.

you can get a q45 ignitor from a junkyard for pennies, and there is a wiring diagram on HT.

koukimonster139
08-27-2008, 07:44 PM
im almost positive sr ecu has diode protection or a safety relay to keep current moving the right direction

fusibled link or ignitor or something? they're delicate.
hmmm

Tearlessj
08-27-2008, 08:18 PM
Yea Im going to replace my ignitor, I have a extra one laying around just gatta wire it in., Hopefully thats it. Is there a way if I can check if my ignitor is blown?

aNskY
08-27-2008, 09:13 PM
there is a continuity test in the FSM if you have a multimeter.

koukimonster139
08-27-2008, 09:55 PM
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g210/driftgay/ignitor2.gif

here go

illvialuver
08-27-2008, 10:04 PM
i just had this problem with my ka swap. i blew the ecu. open up your ecu and look for little black marks all over everything.
i checked out my fuses and relays and everything else and nothing just the ecu. so thats all i am waiting on.

http://zilvia.net/f/chat/207458-finally-my-cars-resurrection-should-weekend.html

Tearlessj
08-27-2008, 10:14 PM
I dont know if I did it right, but I set the Multimeter to the thing where if the two prongs are touching it will beep. I put one prong on the E, and the other on A,B,C,D. There was no beep, so no connection. So I did the test properly right? Or am I doing something totally wrong?

koukimonster139
08-27-2008, 10:33 PM
your checking for continuity (ohms)
set it to ohms

the first test is going to be with positive(red) probe on the (e) pin and the negative(black) on the #1 pin= there should be no continuity

then you reverse this test with negative probe on the (e) and positive on the 1 = here there should be continuity, or in your case, a beep.

Tearlessj
08-27-2008, 11:20 PM
your checking for continuity (ohms)
set it to ohms

the first test is going to be with positive(red) probe on the (e) pin and the negative(black) on the #1 pin= there should be no continuity

then you reverse this test with negative probe on the (e) and positive on the 1 = here there should be continuity, or in your case, a beep.
I set it to the continuity setting. and ran it through all the possible settings. Theres is no continuity at all.

One thing I don't get is, why does it matter which prongs touch where? If were checking for continuity why does it matter if I use the red/black then work if I black/red? Hmmmm

koukimonster139
08-27-2008, 11:37 PM
switching the polarity reverses the flow of current generated by the meter, moving through the ignitor

when operating, the ignitor has current flowing both ways, therefore you have to test all these functions

if you performed all the tests in the illustration, I would say you need a new ignitor.

Tearlessj
08-28-2008, 01:17 AM
Thanks a lot man, your info is helping big time. I ran all the possible test and nothing. Im going to change out my Ignitor tomorrow and see what happens.

O shit 1,000 post! YAYYYYY!!!

koukimonster139
08-28-2008, 05:29 AM
no problem.

lemme know what happens, hope this solves your issue

i may have a spare, operating, ignitor. ill check

Tearlessj
08-28-2008, 02:44 PM
Well I wired up my Q45 ignitor and it starts, BUT runs like complete ass. It barely revs up, takes forever. Shakes really bad. Now Im thinking I could have hooked up the ignitor wrong. So does this mean the ECU is ok, since it kinda runs?

aNskY
08-28-2008, 02:50 PM
you probably miswired one coil output, therefore running on 3 cylinders.

steve shadows
08-28-2008, 06:57 PM
There is a 75 AMP Grey Fusible Link in the main fuse box on all nissan s chasis (or similar) it is usually labeled as the ALT fuse, make sure the link is not burnt out. This sounds to me to be the issue.

C. Anderson
08-28-2008, 07:03 PM
There is a 75 AMP Grey Fusible Link in the main fuse box on all nissan s chasis (or similar) it is usually labeled as the ALT fuse, make sure the link is not burnt out. This sounds to me to be the issue.

He said he already replaced the Alt. fuse. Im with aNskY on this one.

koukimonster139
08-29-2008, 07:26 AM
Well I wired up my Q45 ignitor and it starts, BUT runs like complete ass. It barely revs up, takes forever. Shakes really bad. Now Im thinking I could have hooked up the ignitor wrong. So does this mean the ECU is ok, since it kinda runs?

did you test the new maf like you did the old one before you put it on?

it may be wired wrong or may be faulty. it seems to be an ignition problem from here out

i think your ecu is fine

Tearlessj
11-03-2008, 03:54 AM
Alright, Driving my integra so much has made me somewhat more motivated to work on the car now. So heres an update.

New ECU
I have spark on all 4 of the cylinders.
I found 2 grounds that were not hooked up.
Hooked up VC ground.

After doing that I tried starting it. If I crank it and step on the gas all the way. It'll rev up super rough and stop revvng at 4000rpm very slowly. It wont run if I don't press on the gas all the way. After I turned it off I heard a hissing sound coming out of the fuel inlet hose. This makes me think that the problem lies with the fuel system. In the blue circled shown below, and the yellow is the 2 grounds I found and hooked up. Also, I have not yet replaced the fuel filter. I doubt it has anything to do with my problem but just though id throw it in there.

http://img404.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mg5674up9.jpg

Heres a picture of the 2 grounds I hooked up and the hose that was hissing.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g149/tearlessj/_MG_5674.jpg

aNskY
11-03-2008, 04:07 PM
i dont think the fuel line is hissing, or you would be leaking fuel. probably a leak at your intake manifold which you are mistaking for that line. and that is also probably why you are stumbling and stalling.... leaking metered air.
\

also those grounds are supposed to be seperate... not sure the exact reasoning behind that, just do it ;)

GSXRJJordan
11-03-2008, 04:35 PM
Fuel lines can hiss sometimes, especially after they've been depressurized (by him changing the fuel pump), that's not your problem. Those grounds do not have to be separate. Those are weak suggestions.

I would be checking each coil for spark... I'd also check for all grounds (batt to chassis to intake manifold MUST be good), and pin out your harness (there's more than a couple grounds going to the ECU, and if any of those are messed up, your car will run like shit). Does it run any different with the MAF unplugged?

Deuce40sx
11-04-2008, 11:40 AM
LOL. remember RED=+ Black is always= -WHen you jump your car, have it hooked up to the battery one side, and ground the Negative. Not recommended go battery to battery, ground is safer.

Tearlessj
11-04-2008, 01:07 PM
Fuel lines can hiss sometimes, especially after they've been depressurized (by him changing the fuel pump), that's not your problem. Those grounds do not have to be separate. Those are weak suggestions.

I would be checking each coil for spark... I'd also check for all grounds (batt to chassis to intake manifold MUST be good), and pin out your harness (there's more than a couple grounds going to the ECU, and if any of those are messed up, your car will run like shit). Does it run any different with the MAF unplugged?
Ill be sure to check the grounds again today. How would have any of my grounds have messed up from reversing the cables though? Someone mention fried grounds earlier but I didnt understand.

GSXRJJordan
11-04-2008, 02:01 PM
Ground leads are not as well insulated or as big as +12v leads, and current is not designed to flow in that direction, so it puts extra strain on everything. It's completely possible that the grounds inside your engine harness have lost their connection or have intermittent connection.

HS13KLS
11-04-2008, 02:12 PM
that sounds like my car...

i think my car had an ignitor problem too.. :/
i just never reversed my battery cables

Tearlessj
11-04-2008, 03:28 PM
Ground leads are not as well insulated or as big as +12v leads, and current is not designed to flow in that direction, so it puts extra strain on everything. It's completely possible that the grounds inside your engine harness have lost their connection or have intermittent connection.
Ahhh gotcha. Im ganna check the grounds off my engine harness for continuity between the lines and the chassis. Thanks for the help man, hopefully i can solve this soon.

Tearlessj
12-12-2008, 04:33 PM
Its been a while, but I put up a video of the current situation im in.

YouTube - SR20DET problems (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYctP6WCebc)

speed_racerx
12-12-2008, 04:46 PM
have you checked to see if your injectors are working properly? just a thought. my car sounded like your recently and found out that it was because of my #4 injector. it was going out, but i replaced it now and its back to normal..

again. its just a thought

lflkajfj12123
12-12-2008, 04:58 PM
lol that video makes me laugh

knock knock knock knock knock

tt99ol
12-12-2008, 05:22 PM
sounds like only maybe 2 of your cylinders arent firing
check for spark but you probably just wired the ignitor wrong
and switched 2 cylinders
do a power balance test and switch the 2 with no change

weshole
12-13-2008, 05:43 AM
It's definitely a miss of some sort. Like t99ol said, check the ignitor wiring. The firing order is either off or you have one dead cylinder. The latter is actually what it sounds like to me basing it off the video clip.

Tearlessj
12-27-2008, 02:44 PM
OK well I tested for spark today, all of the cylinders are sparking. I did notice on cylinders 3 and 4, the spark plugs were fairly clean. On 1 and 2 they were blackish. They all did get spark though, maybe the firing order is wrong. Does anyone have a diagram for the Q45 ignitor so I can double check it?

Whats a good way to check if im getting fuel to all the cylinders?

sbc
12-27-2008, 06:05 PM
If you have a spare injector plug that one into the harness and watch for fuel. Repeat 4 times.

Tearlessj
12-27-2008, 07:57 PM
If you have a spare injector plug that one into the harness and watch for fuel. Repeat 4 times.
so I take a spare injector plug, hook it with a 12 volt power source. Then plug it on each injector and look for fuel? Do I take out the spark plug and look down into the cylinder?

theronin
12-28-2008, 12:34 PM
ive got a couple ecu's layin around. dunno if their s13 or s14, if you end up needing one we can discuss identifying them and getting one of them to ya. lmk man

sbc
12-28-2008, 07:43 PM
Never mind sorry. Ignore me.

flip3d
12-28-2008, 08:02 PM
Are all of your injectors clicking? They have a very distinct sound. Can't miss it.

Tearlessj
01-02-2009, 04:12 PM
Well guys, I finnaly got it to run right. It was my ignitor being wired wrong. It runs now, but super rich. Smoke everywhere when it runs. Now onto that. lol