PDA

View Full Version : Dead Tranny

transient
01-09-2003, 03:08 PM
Well, I got the call from the dealer at about 12 today. My transmission's gone and I need a new one :eek: Talk about some major suckage. They want 2400 for a new one!!! haha, right, not gonna happen. So anyway, it looks like i'm going to be going for that CA18DET finally, althought I wish I was able to do it without being forced.

DSC
01-09-2003, 05:55 PM
Yeah, the dealer got a blank stare when they tried to rape me with a new tranny. I mean seriously, they take the tranny...and rape you with it, shifter and all...

You could always rebuild, but ca18 sounds like a much better option :)

transient
01-09-2003, 06:08 PM
yeah, definately. Honestly though, the thought has crossed my mind of selling the car and getting a 280zx, but I think I just love it too much :)

Natty
01-09-2003, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by transient
yeah, definately. Honestly though, the thought has crossed my mind of selling the car and getting a 280zx, but I think I just love it too much :)
Yeah, just selling my car with all these bad parts crossed my mind too, but I wouldn't get **** for it. If I repaired it, I wouldn't get my money back either, so I'll just keep it :)
280z's are nice though.
How about a used tranny with like 40,000 miles on it for around $250 at a junker? It could hold you off on the CA, but I would do the engine swap if you have the means now.
If it's any consolation, I can't shift into 1, 2, or 3 without double clutching.
What was your trans doing?
Jeff

transient
01-09-2003, 10:10 PM
metal shavings poured out when they changed the tranny fluid. Never a good sign. It also makes a LOT of noise when it shouldn't kinda like driving fast in reverse.

DSC
01-09-2003, 11:37 PM
well some metal shavings are normal to see. there will be lots of metal "hairs" all over your drain plug. Not saying it isn't broken, just FYI :)