PDA

View Full Version : CAI piping

zxtasy
01-09-2003, 11:54 AM
I have a '90 240 with a few mods including a supposed CAI wich consists of a Stillen MAF adapter and a K/N cone filter. The cone filter does of course provide more available air flow but the filter is located where the factory air box was wich is very close to the exhaust manifold and in the summer underhood temps get pretty high defeating the whole purpose. My question is, has anyone plumbed an intake system that will relocate the filter in front of the radiator where you can get cooler air? And if so, could you post pics/ insructions.

Thanks

RedlineRacer
01-09-2003, 12:04 PM
You don't have a cold air. You have a ram air. A cold air intake has a pipe that runs near you bumper to get away from the engine heat. What you are wanting is a cold air intake.

Kreator
01-09-2003, 12:41 PM
He doesn't even have a ram air. He just has a filter. Relocating it to where the radiator is, is imho wasteful, cuz just running it to where the injen extension mounts will provide the cold air you need. Visit your local home depot and go to the plumbing section. You'll find all you need there.

zxtasy
01-09-2003, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Kreator
cuz just running it to where the injen extension mounts will provide the cold air you need.

Huh?

Maybe I wasn't clear in my last post. I am looking for someone who has relocated thier air filter to in front of the radiator away from the high underhood temps. Or if some manufacturer allready has a kit for the 240. I have searched around, but haven't found any.

Kreator
01-09-2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by zxtasy
Huh?

Maybe I wasn't clear in my last post. I am looking for someone who has relocated thier air filter to in front of the radiator away from the high underhood temps. Or if some manufacturer allready has a kit for the 240. I have searched around, but haven't found any.

Ok, do you know where you stock resonator box is? Did you remove it? Anyways, with the injen CAI the filter mounts in where your resontor is. there is an opening in the bumper and the same exact air that goes to the radiator goes in that opening. so basicly you don't have to get it all the way to be in front of the radiator. Just a 90* bend and something to extend the filter downwords.

Could someone with a picture of the filter with Injen CAI post an image?

zxtasy
01-09-2003, 03:09 PM
I see what you are saying, just cut the original air box hole bigger and extend the injen pipe at 90 deg. with the filter where the factory filter was getting it's air (behind the LF fender). Yea if anyone has any pics of this please post em.

zxtasy
01-11-2003, 10:01 AM
Is everybody that has a custom intake taking the air from the engine compartment? Aside from IC turbos of course......... Seems to me one would be better off with the factory air box and a high flow replacement filter. Hot air BAD, cool air GOOD.....uhg.

Kreator
01-11-2003, 10:57 AM
Is everybody that has a custom intake taking the air from the engine compartment? Aside from IC turbos of course......... Seems to me one would be better off with the factory air box and a high flow replacement filter. Hot air BAD, cool air GOOD.....uhg.

Umm, it's better to take it out of the engine bay. The stock air box gets very cold air already. When u remove the resonator, it's still cold air. But if you look at the intake piping, you'll see how cramped it is. when u get aftermarket systems they suck hot air. So u need to get a cold air extension to make it cold again. Buying a $250 system to do that is i think a waste of money. Go to a store, get 2.5" flexible hose. Drill hole for the temp sensor. remove your stock intake, put that in, and use another one to extend it. You already have a filter and an adapter. Use the same hose to extend it to where the resonator is. There. Problem solved for under $50.

mrdirty
01-11-2003, 10:59 AM

take a look at the factory intake; it's contorted all to hell. An ideal intake would have a perfectly smooth path, so aftermarket intakes do help a bit even if its just to replace the tubing.

I keep promising to fabricate a f-glass intake that drops right into the passenger side void opposite the factory location but can't think of a smooth enough mold design...