PDA

View Full Version : Wierd sound coming from engine!!! HELP!!!

Dream240
08-25-2008, 08:15 PM
Okay I just noticed this sound today when i got home from work. Who knows how long it's been making that noise. Anyone heard it before? It's the very subtle whirring that you can hear at 11 seconds, then kicks in again at 28 seconds and goes until the end of the video.

And please don't comment on the normal injector clicking and fan noise. Listen closer for the whirring.

I'm thinking it's coming from the head somewhere. I only hear it while it's idling. It could be making the sound while I drive but I can't hear it over the normal engine noise.

The first thing I thought was maybe a spun rod bearing, but isn't that only get louder when you accelerate?

Any thoughts? Hopefully it's not too bad, I can't afford a big engine job right now. :(

http://s188.photobucket.com/albums/z299/coxboy07/?action=view&current=carvid.flv

Sileighty_85
08-25-2008, 08:34 PM
Sounds like a phone ringing lol did you drop your cell in there?

Nah but seriously
Sounds like a bearing, (not Engine Bearing) but like an Alt bearing or pilot bearing Ect..

S14DB
08-25-2008, 08:40 PM
yeah, sounds like something on your accessory drive. one of the pulleys ringing. Like your AC clutch.

murffy
08-25-2008, 08:41 PM
maybe its the timing chain?

ghost
08-25-2008, 10:38 PM
Its not constant. Makes me think AC.

Dream240
08-25-2008, 10:43 PM
Well I checked all the pulley and accessory bolts, all snug. The only bolt I lost is a makeshift bolt that I put into the OEM intake pipe hole to the fan shroud. That damn bolt ALWAYS falls out. It MIGHT of fallen back into the engine somewhere and now it's rattling.

But the damn sound is so faint and seems to come from INSIDE the engine. Also....it seems to kick in almost every time I start up the VENT, A/C or not.

So would you guys agree that it's prolly NOT coming from inside the engine somewhere?

anymore ideas?

ericcastro
08-25-2008, 10:44 PM
I think you need to get a can of white lightning, (WD40 will work too) and spray the bearings in all your belt drives/pullies. See if that helps. If it stops for a few hours, then its one of those.

Sounds like it to me.

Or the only other thing would be a clutch thing. you do any clutch work lately??

I bet it's the AC condnser though :)

yeah man, prolly not the inside engine. (check your oil to make sure though)
you say its related to your vent system??
try different things to see what makes it stop and start. :)

turn the vent on and listen from inside. down by the floor??

S14DB
08-25-2008, 11:35 PM
I think you need to get a can of white lightning, (WD40 will work too) and spray the bearings in all your belt drives/pullies. See if that helps. If it stops for a few hours, then its one of those.
Please don't do that. You'll never get to the bearings without rebuilding. Most are sealed. You will get it on the belts in the alternator and in the AC clutch.

Does it do it at night? Like when your headlights are on?

ericcastro
08-26-2008, 01:10 AM
Please don't do that. You'll never get to the bearings without rebuilding.

Yeah, and its a little messy, but in a jam, or having a real hard time trouble shooting. Its a quik and oldschool way to figure it out.

Not everyone has the resourses we do.
And if the kid needs to figure it out quikly, and get to work ASAP, then you gotta do what you gotta do.

I figure the all caps, "HELP", means ASAP.

cotbu
08-26-2008, 03:28 AM
This may not be any help, but it sounds like my shifter felt, when I slightly pushed my shifter to the side. When I did that, it transported me directly to the pilot bushing.

If you can get a screwdriver or dowel and pinpoint the location, you can tell us if it's coming from the engine.

The sound sounds metallic, but hollow so that may mean it's in side. Or just sorrounded by something.

Dream240
08-26-2008, 05:47 AM
Thanks Cotbu.

I just recently did a clutch job with all the trimmings. Also about a month ago my 3rd gear started grinding whenever I try to shift unless I go real slow.

I'll pull the tranny and check the pilot, flywheel bolts, etc. Usually I try to relate any problems to recent work I did, and the pilot bushing theory sounds logical. Especially with where the sound seems to be coming from.

S14DB
08-26-2008, 06:09 AM
So it's coming more from the Rear then the Front of the engine?

Dream240
08-26-2008, 08:33 AM
Honestly, it seems to be coming from the inside the engine....front or back. It's really hard to pinpoint. I'm thinking the pilot theory sounds right simply because it's inside the block, and I did a clutch job recently. Maybe I didn't lube up the pilot enough? The sound is like it's spinning in the crank, can that even happen?

As for the AC pulley or clutch being the culprit, it makes the sound whether the A/C and/or vent is on or off. I know it sounds like I'm changing my diagnosis but it's only cause I've been messing with it all night.

I'm gonna get a new clutch anyways soon, and since the sound isn't affecting the driveability, I'm just gonna have to wait until I get the new clutch and swap it in with my other tranny. Then I'll see if I can find the problem.

Thanks guys.

silpena
08-26-2008, 11:13 AM
dude i have that same noise sometimes. i never figured it out but it comes and goes for me.

super240sx7185
08-26-2008, 01:22 PM
My alternator recently started making that noise then 2 days later it seized. Get a stethoscope and start listening around.

singlecamslam
08-26-2008, 01:33 PM
Try to jack the car up and secure it properly than start your engine and listen from the bottom if you think its tranny related, since you can closer that way.