PDA

View Full Version : Supercharger noise

Cedarcbr
08-24-2008, 10:07 PM
K so i did search and just didnt find what i was looking for. so here goes.

About a month ago my SR s13 started making a supercharger like noise. it runs fine a little rich and little stutters at idle. other than that its A ok.

The noise happens when ever i get into boost. When ever i go from vacuum to boost it starts. you can here it good in 2nd and 3rd. but it does it in every gear. I figured my turbo was going for sure so i got a stock t25 rebuilt and went to put it on. when i took my piping off i felt my turbo it felt amazingly tight. better than the rebuilt one, no oil in piping, no smoke anytime, everything seems ok. so i got looking at the hot pipe.. and i found a pin hole leak in it from a bad weld. i filled in this hole and put everything back together and i was amazed that the noise went away....

then about 2 weeks later 200 miles or so....the noise came back one day out of no where. i checked all my piping and clamps and everything is tight as tits. im not loosing any boost at all, my vacuum is perfect also. there is no abnormal wear on the turbine blade or anything. I need help with this ASAP. i have an event 300 mile drive on friday. thanks in advance for all your constructive help.

P.S. the noise is EXACTLY the same noise.

awesomenick
08-24-2008, 10:19 PM
You're driving out for the event on the 29th? Sweet. If it was a boost leak last time, it seems weird that it's not this time. Are all vacuum hoses hooked up for sure? It sounds like they would be since you're not losing boost. hope you get it fixed!

yokotavia
08-24-2008, 11:55 PM
running rich and studdering idle is NORMALLY a boost leak.

triple check your piping, lines, everything.

could be another TINY pinhole leak?

could do a smoke pressure test

search for it, ive seen a write up on the web somewhere

burnsauto
08-25-2008, 01:28 PM
soapy water and a friend in the drivers seat can do wonders.

what did you fill the last pin hole in with?

YoungGun
08-25-2008, 01:37 PM
Check the blow off valve flange.

If the gasket is old it's easy for pressure to escape.

Cedarcbr
08-26-2008, 01:16 PM
I patched the last tiny hole with epoxy. it bonded very good and no leaks from there. i had to pretty knowledgable guys drive my car and they said theres makes the same noise and nothing is wrong. but y did mine just start doing it? i have like 6000 miles on the swap.