PDA

View Full Version : Tie Rods Noise When Turning Right in Reverse

iluvpandas4
08-21-2008, 11:45 PM
Ok so I just installed new inner and outer tie rods for my coupe. I did the driver's side tie rods myself a couple of days ago but had to take the car to my mechanic to do the passenger side because my old tie rods were so rusted.

So driving today, I noticed going forward and turning, the car is fine. But when I reverse and turn toward the right, I hear a horrible noise coming from the passenger side. It sounds like I ran over a bunch of empty water gallons (don't really know how to describe it). So I'm thinking he might have over torqued the castle nut or the outer tie rod is too far in/out on the inner tie rod. I'm not really sure which would cause this noise, so I'm wondering if anyone else would know.

EDIT: I was thinking about it, and could it possibly be an allignment issue? I haven't gotten the allignment done yet.

Massimo Power
08-22-2008, 01:33 PM
you defintely need and alignment.. ur toe is prolly way off...

iluvpandas4
08-22-2008, 03:21 PM
ok well now the question is do I need a front or rear alignment? I called up Midas for a price quote and thats what they asked me. My guess is front alignment since that's where the suspension has been changed and where the noises are coming from.

zugoi
08-22-2008, 03:34 PM
You want to get a 4 wheel alignment. Getting just the front is kinda pointless if your rear is out of alignment as well.

PhilthyS13
08-22-2008, 07:55 PM
+1 on the alignment F+R.

Are they stock tie rods? I put that spacer in with my tein tie rods on my hicas rack and the tires rubs on the inside a little when at the extemes sometimes. It sounds grrreat.

iluvpandas4
08-23-2008, 02:28 AM
I'm using megan racing inner tie rods with stock outer tie rods. That passenger side wheel was actually already rubbing against something before whenever I turned to the left. I'm guessing I probably needed an alignment a long time ago...

Oh and I checked the thread count to both tie rods today and got 13 for the driver's side and 4 on the passenger's side... curious, when I get my alignment done are they going to readjust the tie rods so the extra thread count is even on both sides?

240=180
08-23-2008, 02:38 AM
I'm using megan racing inner tie rods with stock outer tie rods. That passenger side wheel was actually already rubbing against something before whenever I turned to the left. I'm guessing I probably needed an alignment a long time ago...

Oh and I checked the thread count to both tie rods today and got 13 for the driver's side and 4 on the passenger's side... curious, when I get my alignment done are they going to readjust the tie rods so the extra thread count is even on both sides?

thread count doesnt really matter..... as long as all 4 wheels are aligned properly

iluvpandas4
08-23-2008, 03:01 AM
thread count doesnt really matter..... as long as all 4 wheels are aligned properly

Poo, thats what I figured... I'm just so OCD with that stuff, if it's not even it's gonna bother the hell out of me.

iluvpandas4
09-08-2008, 12:16 PM
So I got the alignment done but my front passenger-side wheel still drags when I turn right.